Immigration Form Question

Perhaps the Canadian cruisers can help me here. Usually, we have sailed from a US port and thus have had to put our temporary US address on the immigration form (Ft. Lauderdale for our Caribbean cruises). But this year, we are sailing from Vancouver and will not be entering the US until we get on the ship (we live in Ontario). So do we then leave the US address section blank on our online Immigration Form?

I tried to do a search for the answer to my question but came up empty. Thanks so much for any advice on this!

Just wondering if you should put Vancouver International as this would be where you would indirectly be switching from Canada to the US via the ship of course. Maybe the name of the ship and line? Sorry but I really don't know the answer.

I was just filling mine out and came across the information. I believe in your case you would use the airline flight.

Temporary U.S. Addressspacer.gifA temporary US Address is the last place you will stay before boarding the ship. If you arrived by plane, it is your airline flight. If you stayed in a hotel, it is the name of your hotel. If it is a private residence, it is the residence address.

In my case, I just left it blank as my permanent address is outside of the U.S. and I will not be entering the U.S. before my cruise. The computer seemed to accept that without a problem.

Hi trubey - yes, I could put my airline flight but I too will not be entering the US before boarding the ship, just like you. I am flying from a city in Canada to a city in Canada and then staying in a hotel in Canada. I then walk on the ship (which I have heard before - not sure where - is considered US territory even though it is docked in Canada).

Do you think I would leave this blank then?

Confused...

Gals - you do NOT have to fill in the section "Temporary US Address for non-residents". I have never filled in this section whether I am boarding the ship in the U.S. or in Canada - Vancouver or Montreal.

It could be that if you are spending some time after the cruise in the U.S. that they want this information, but in your case Tessa, you will be leaving from Vancouver and returning to Vancouver, so this information is not necessary.

Just leave it blank, like I do, and you will be fine. I also live in Ontario and travel on a Canadian Passport.

Susan is right - if they want that information at the check-in desk, they'll ask you for it. Don't worry about it.

Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time. :D

Problem solved then! Thanks Esme!

Now on to how to pack all this stuff in my luggage...! ;)

Very carefully ;)

Enjoy Alaska - it's beautiful and you will have a wonderful time. What ship are you sailing on?

We are on the Zaandam in less than two weeks - I am beside myself with excitement! My husband picked this destination (I picked the Carribean last year) and I have never been farther west than Ontario!! I have not seen any mountains or glaciers and I am really looking forward to this experience!

I am trying not to get too obsessed with the planning but it's hard...I am addicted to cruise critic!

You have been to Alaska then Esme? Which ship did you sail on? Any advice?

Hi there without tessa:

Esme is totally correct about the US immigration form - just leave that part blank.

**Very important ** to any travelling HAL to Alaska --- to save a lot of time in the lineups at Canada Place -- make sure you've previously filled in your forms online and have the printed out information with you. This will ensure you board quickly.

The Zaandam does much the same itinerary as the Volendam which I've sailed on twice to Alaska.

If you're interested you can read the review I wrote last summer on my May 2004 trip to Alaska (last year the weather was beautiful in May btw) which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=4829

Have a fantastic cruise.

Dave

Yes, Tessa, I have been to Alaska a couple of times. First was on Rotterdam V, and a couple of years ago on the Volendam.

I had been to Vancouver a few times, but never up to Alaska. When I saw my first Glacier I was so awestruck - it was amazing. DH had been to Juneau during his University Days and just had to go back to the Red Dog Saloon, so off we went and he was a little disappointed as it had moved from it's original spot, but was still the same old Pub.

Vancouver is a beautiful city - incredible to see all those mountains.

You'll have a great time, but do remember to take a hat (toque), gloves, umbrella (rains a lot - so what's new - we've had enough of it here the last few weeks, haven't we!) and good walking shoes - like New Balance or Nikes. Dress in layers - weather will probably be similar to what we have been having recently.

What ports will you be visiting?

Hello Dave,

I'm hoping you will see this thread before we leave for Canada in a couple of days.

I have agonised over 2 tours from Skagway ( Glacier Point Wilderness safari or Valley of the Glaciers by helicopter) And now after reading your experience on the safari I want to change again. We are booked on the Valley of the Glaciers!!

It has been challenging work doing all this from Australia & only found this forum a few weeks ago:(

Any advice would be really appreciated. Have you done both of these tours? or only the safari? How long do you actually paddle in the canoe & is it hard yakka? You describe the trip just how I imagined it would be like!!! Oh I wish I could do both tours!!

We sail on the volendam May 18th ( same as you did last year!)

Thanks everyone for their input.

We are leaving Vancouver and stopping at Juneau (whale watching with Capt. Larry), Skagway (Yukon Horseback Riding with Joni) and Ketchikan (Totem Bight and Saxman with Sourdough Tours). We are so excited though I think packing will be a challenge - thanks for the clothing tips Esme!

I am considering using the $12/bag laundry thing halfway through the cruise to reduce the luggage we need to take.

We have recently purchased a video camera to complement our digital camera as we wanted to make sure we documented everything -- we have gotten feedback that the beauty is out of this world!

Archived