Jewel or Gem???

Just back from our 7 day Bahamas/Florida cruise out of New York on the Gem. Let's just say our trip was less than perfect. We love NCL but this was our least favorite ship so far. Having said that, since I am willing to give the gem another try because I think our trip fell under the "Code Red" sanitation problem, i just want some advice from anyone who has been on the Jewel or Gem. Which is your favorite and why? We want to book another cruise next year out of New York and are torn between the two. We are booking a penthouse suite so pictures would be great too! I appreciate any feedback!

Just back from our 7 day Bahamas/Florida cruise out of New York on the Gem. Let's just say our trip was less than perfect. We love NCL but this was our least favorite ship so far. Having said that, since I am willing to give the gem another try because I think our trip fell under the "Code Red" sanitation problem, i just want some advice from anyone who has been on the Jewel or Gem. Which is your favorite and why? We want to book another cruise next year out of New York and are torn between the two. We are booking a penthouse suite so pictures would be great too! I appreciate any feedback!

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the Gem. I like both the Jewel and the Gem, though I prefer the Gem over the Jewel.

It would help if you told us what you didn't like about the Gem and/or what you did like on your other ships. What is important to you won't nesacerally be the same as what is important to me.

We just got off the Gem also, and we thought it was not one of our better NCL crusies also! Maybe it was the code red situation or the fact that there were a lot of children, but alot of the crew did not seem friendly, especially in the dinning rooms. The food was not as good as other NCL cruises in my opinion either. We had alot of fun anyway, but that "something special" was missing. We were on the Star last year and it much better. This is our sixth NCL cruise and the first one we weren't completly satisfied with.

Thanks for your reply. The service on the Gem was terrible. Waiters were unpleasant, took forever to get dinners, you couldn't help yourself to anything (including salt, pepper, ketchup to name a few) and just was very surprised how unfriendly most workers were. We were a big party and we all were very surprised. It didn't ruin our trip because we made the best of it but I am a little gun shy on going on the Gem again. I just wanted to know how people liked the Jewel. If they found the service good, friendly staff, etc.

I'm so bummed to hear that - we sailed the Gem in October. The staff was super friendly, food was good, entertainment was fun. I'm sorry to hear that - we really liked the Gem a lot.

Starting next year, Breakaway will sail from New York so maybe give that a whirl?

Thanks for your reply. The service on the Gem was terrible. Waiters were unpleasant, took forever to get dinners, you couldn't help yourself to anything (including salt, pepper, ketchup to name a few) and just was very surprised how unfriendly most workers were. We were a big party and we all were very surprised. It didn't ruin our trip because we made the best of it but I am a little gun shy on going on the Gem again. I just wanted to know how people liked the Jewel. If they found the service good, friendly staff, etc.

Wow, I'm so sorry you both felt this way. Maybe it was an off cruise for the staff? Both times I was on the Gem the only person I could conceivably "complain" about was 1 cabin steward. He was competent, just never around and he didn't leave many towel animals. ;)

Service in the main dining rooms is usually slow (in my opinion), but the code red would definitely slow it down more.

I had good service and friendly staff on both ships and wouldn't hesitate to sail either ship again. As a matter of fact, I'm booked on the Jewel for December, even though I prefer the Gem (for the spa and Bliss Lounge).

Which ever you choose, I hope you have a much better experience!

I should know what a Code Red is, but since I have never experienced one (and forget what I read about them; and lazy to research), all I can say is that I'm sorry you had one on your sailing.

Both the Gem and the Jewel are fine ships. I've sailed 3 times on both ships...never had a problem on either. I tend to sound like a cheerleader, but I have never had a "bad" NCL cruise. They were all good, but some certainly stood out over others. Where are all these bad servers? My only exposure to a less-than-attentive-server was the guy we had last week on the Jewel in Tsar's. He actually tried to talk my DW out of a second entree. I guess he felt she couldn't finish it. But his performace will be seen

Here is my ONLY dislike about the Gem. Deck 7 mid, where the shops are...not a fan of this layout. It just gets too congested and the walkway is narrow (or it seems narrow). However, the shops being there, opens up Deck 7 aft for Bliss with the bowling alley. Many like that feature, but it's not something that interests me as a "must". The lounge...cool! Bowling...ehhh...not so much.

I love the Jewel layout...wide open midship on Deck 7 with no bowling alley and the shops are aft. Wonderful layout IMO (unless your cabin is fwd and need to buy that bonine from the shop. It could be the walk from hell...:D).

Since you weren't fond of your recent Gem sailing. I say, flip to her sister and give that a whirl!

We just got off the Gem also, and we thought it was not one of our better NCL crusies also! Maybe it was the code red situation or the fact that there were a lot of children, but alot of the crew did not seem friendly, especially in the dinning rooms. The food was not as good as other NCL cruises in my opinion either. We had alot of fun anyway, but that "something special" was missing. We were on the Star last year and it much better. This is our sixth NCL cruise and the first one we weren't completly satisfied with.

We felt the exact same way. Our last cruise on the Spirit was great!

We will be on the Gem in June but we have sailed the Jewel, once while there was a Noro going around the ship. We loves the Jewel regardless of the situation. I would have to guess that it is very difficult for the crew to be under a Code Red and still be happy happy. They too fall ill and it has to be very difficult to keep up spirits under those extreme conditions. They are short handed, doing extra work and taking alot of crap from people who do not want to be "served" at a buffet. I would rather sail the Jewel or probably the Gem during a Code Red then some other cruise lines that are illness free! JMHO

We have 2 future cruises booked on the Gem so I hope your cruise experience wasn't the norm. I expect the "Code Red" situation did have some impact on the service. We've been on the Jewel 3 times, twice on 10 day cruises and once on a 7 day. We enjoyed the 10 day cruises more but never had service issues on any of them and always found the staff super friendly.

I'm sorry you're cruise was less than perfect. I would not be able to imagine how stressful it would be for the crew to be part of a red alert and try to keep everyone happy.

I haven't been on the Gem or the Jewel, but we have been on the Pearl, which I understand is a sister ship to the Jewel. We have the Jewel booked for later this summer.

Is the Gem in the same class as the Jewel and Pearl?

Again, I'm sorry it wasn't perfect for you but glad to hear you made the most of it. With as many perfect and near-perfect experiences that we've had with NCL, it's hard for me to imagine anything less. :)

I'm sorry you're cruise was less than perfect. I would not be able to imagine how stressful it would be for the crew to be part of a red alert and try to keep everyone happy.

I haven't been on the Gem or the Jewel, but we have been on the Pearl, which I understand is a sister ship to the Jewel. We have the Jewel booked for later this summer.

Is the Gem in the same class as the Jewel and Pearl?

Again, I'm sorry it wasn't perfect for you but glad to hear you made the most of it. With as many perfect and near-perfect experiences that we've had with NCL, it's hard for me to imagine anything less. :)

The Gem is the last of the Jewel class ships that was built, the Jewel itself, being the first. I found both to be fine ships that were kept clean and in good repair by diligent crews.

sorry to hear that, we been on the gem twice, my best ncl cruises so far. now we are heading to the pearl soon ill tell you the difference. the are 3 sister ship beside climbing wall and bowling alleys

Sorry the OP had a rough time. a Code RED would do that to any one..

DW & I had a great time on the Gem 10/30-to 11/6/11 sailing(last trip to Bermuda of the season). Everything was outstanding, and DW is hard to please.

Since we re-located from NY to AZ early this year, our next few cruises will be West Coast based, and since we're buying a house soon,..not until '13..(:mad:) but hey, we gotta do what we gotta do....I say give the Gem another shot, or if your set on Bermuda(which is fantastic!) wait for the Breakaway..

Bill(Dr.Football) U.S Army Ret./Med.

If you are able to read this, Thank a Teacher(your welcome)! If you are reading this in English, Thank a "soldier"(again, Your Welcome!)

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.97 (really) final beta for Mac

I think that the code red situation colored (pun intended) your opinion of the Gem. We sailed on the Jewel the week following a similar outbreak as on the Gem, and for the first three days we were not allowed to serve ourselves in the buffet, and were not allowed to touch any of the condiments, such as ketchup, etc. I was even yelled at because I tried to take a couple of packets of pepper!

We chose the Jewel over the Gem because we had sailed the Gem on the same itinerary previously, and I wanted to try a new ship. And between the two of them, I prefer the Gem, mostly because of the decor and furnishings. It just seemed snazzier, whereas the Jewel seemed a little tired. But of course I sailed the Gem four years ago. Maybe she looks a little tired by now too. However, she does have the Bliss Lounge, rock climbing wall and bowling lanes, which the Jewel lacks.

Archived