Just Back from Infinity 4/17/05 - 14 day Panama Canal Sailing!

micheleg

Hey All...we got home a few hours ago from the Infinity - Ensenada to Fort Lauderdale 14 day sailing. We're pooped...but had a great time! :) Review will be forthcoming probably next weekend when I have more time. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, I'll be more than pleased to answer!

Happy Cruising All!

Michele

My wife and I will be on the Infinity May 16th from San Francisco roundtrip to Alaska. Who is the current cruise director? We were on the Millennium last May so we know the Infinity layout, but any other pointers you might have would be most appreciated. Looking forward to your review. Thanks!

Dan & Linda

Michele, I'm doing a Panama Canal transit in October on Radiance. When we booked we were sailing from San Diego, then it switched to Ensenada. I'd be most interested in hearing about your embarkation. Did start your day in San Diego, or somewhere in California. How did you get to Ensenada? Celebrity bus, drive yourself, private car, etc. I'd really love to hear as much as you would like to share. What options did you consider, and what did you end up doing and why? Thanks so much.

My wife and I will be on the Infinity May 16th from San Francisco roundtrip to Alaska. Who is the current cruise director? We were on the Millennium last May so we know the Infinity layout, but any other pointers you might have would be most appreciated. Looking forward to your review. Thanks!

Dan & Linda

Hi Dan & Linda!

The CD was Damian DeLorenzes (sp?). Don't miss the Specialty Restaurant...the food and service were awesome!!!!

More details on the entire cruise to follow!

Michele

Michele, I'm doing a Panama Canal transit in October on Radiance. When we booked we were sailing from San Diego, then it switched to Ensenada. I'd be most interested in hearing about your embarkation. Did start your day in San Diego, or somewhere in California. How did you get to Ensenada? Celebrity bus, drive yourself, private car, etc. I'd really love to hear as much as you would like to share. What options did you consider, and what did you end up doing and why? Thanks so much.

Hi Howard,

Same thing happened to us as well. We flew in the day before to San Diego. We bought Celebrity's pre-cruise (as the transfers were included) and stayed at the Sheraton Marina. The hotel and staff were wonderful and everything was very smooth there.

Can't say the same about Celebrity's meet & greet folks the next day when the buses were supposed to arrive. More about that in my forthcoming review. Bus ride was fine and actually quite a sightseeing extravaganza in itself.

Check-in was at the Coral Marina Hotel in Ensenada and was very smooth and quick.

I didn't really consider any other options, as there's really no other EASY way to get to Ensenada. You can't rent a car in the US and drive it through the Mexico border. Guess you could hire a driver to get you there, but going through the border is easiest when you're in the Cruise line bus.

Again...more about this whole process upcoming in my review..but I hope this info helps for now.

Thanks,

Michele

Hi Howard,

Our luggage didn't go on the buses that we rode to Ensenada in. They were picked up by the hotel at 9:30 AM and loaded on to trucks that were sealed and sent on to the pier. We did not see our luggage again until it was brought to our cabins.

Only our carry-on's were allowed on the bus..and were not placed on the bottom of the bus. If they were, we'd be subject to search at the border.

Our bus was completely full...there was one bus that wasn't all the way full and folks had the opportunity to move.

Hope this helps!

Michele

That helps tremendously. I read on an old thread that after the bottom of the bus filled up with luggage, some people were basically told, tough luck. The fact is that a 50 passenger bus cannot accommodate all the luggage for 50 passengers spending a day or three pre or post cruise and 14 days on the ship. So the truck is the solution. Glad to hear that is what they are doing.

Now one final ?? What time did the buses leave the hotel, and how long was the ride. Did you meet on the ship, anyone who took the bus from the airport, and was their experience as easy as yours?

Now one final ?? What time did the buses leave the hotel, and how long was the ride. Did you meet on the ship, anyone who took the bus from the airport, and was their experience as easy as yours?

Hi again Howard,

We were supposed to meet the buses at 11:45 AM. Unfortunately, we were there, but the buses weren't. The Celebrity folks weren't there either. Two Celebrity agents finally arrived at about 12:30. Still no buses. We found out that they were delayed at the border. More about this in my review.

Ride to Ensenada was about 2.5 hours. There wasn't much traffic once we got out of the US and then through Tiajuana. My friends took the Celebrity bus from the airport to the ship. They had no issues. Not sure if their luggage went with the bus or on a truck, but they communicated no issues.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Michele

We are planning the South America infinity cruise in jan 06. Been reading that food quality has deteriorated. What's your impression?

Hi Jgga !

I have been on MANY Celebrity Cruises, and I was just on Summit about 5 weeks ago. I can tell you that... the food was as excellent as ever !!!

Just remember, everyone has a different opinion, but I do not think the food on Celebrity is slipping at all.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Jgga,

We were on the SA trip from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso that left BA on the 13th of Feb. It was a great trip and the food was also good. This was our second trip on the Infinity in a year and no complaints. We were lucky and got upgraded to a Celebrity Suite which we enjoyed very much.

Don

Michele,

When you spoke with CD Damien, was he being a "polite Canadian"--listening and nodding in agreement with everything that you were saying or did he have something to say in response to your questions/suggestions?

I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the world--the snow on the ground the day before yesterday did not help! :eek: But, it has melted and the grass is greener and the tulips are beginning to bloom. 15 hours of daylight helps as well.

Hope all is well with you.

Sandy

Archived