When Referring to HAL?

sail7seas

Which do you call it?

I always notice when someone refers to HAL, the cruise line, as "Holland".

Most of us say Holland America so I seem to want to blurt out....... Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line.

Any one else? :D

I almost always use HAL (when writing) and Holland America (when speaking) .... the funny for us comes into play when people are talking about HAL and Hal (my husband). Can cause a lot of confusion to say the least.

Then to add to the confusion, our last name is Director. Years ago on a message board where we used real names not nicknames, a few people thought that my husband and I were "Directors" (like a job title) for HAL. They thought we were monitoring the boards. LOL Too funny.

I almost always use HAL (when writing) and Holland America (when speaking) .... the funny for us comes into play when people are talking about HAL and Hal (my husband). Can cause a lot of confusion to say the least.

Then to add to the confusion, our last name is Director. Years ago on a message board where we used real names not nicknames, a few people thought that my husband and I were "Directors" (like a job title) for HAL. They thought we were monitoring the boards. LOL Too funny.

:) Funny !!!!

I can see where you could have some fun with HAL and Directors. LOL.......

:) Funny !!!!

I can see where you could have some fun with HAL and Directors. LOL.......

We've had lots of fun over the years with our name. When I worked at the bank, I used to get quite a bit of the mail addressed to MIS Director (it should of gone to the IT dept).

When we lived in Los Angeles, one day we shopped in the Hollywood area and used a credit card. It created quite a stir as the sales people thought Hal was a movie director. I guess the entertainment industry does quite a bit of just using one name and their title on their credit cards. One shoe store was treating Hal like royalty, and the wannabe actor asked Hal just what studio he worked for. Poor guy was so disappointed to learn it was our last name.

Hal joked that when we booked the HAL cruise for next year, that I should write HAL and ask if we got any special treatment because of his name. LOL (no, I didn't write but it was tempting).

I hate when people call it the Zuidy! :D

I don't seem to notice many other DAM ship names being abbreviated: The Veeny/Veenie, Rottie or Eury. Why for the Zuiderdam?

Ha Ha Ha. Never thought about it but I guess I've sailed on the Veenie, the Rottie, and the Westee. :)

Archived