Chania (Souda)

Scotchick

does this shuttle stop at different sights like a hop on hop off bus ,or does it just take us to the town of Chania from Souda port?

It is just a transport from the ship to central Chania. When I went, it dropped us off in front of a market square type area. Pickup was at the same location. It ran every 15 minutes or so. From the drop off location, it's a nice walk around town and to the waterfront area. There are shops and cafes and such all over the area.

It is just a transport from the ship to central Chania. When I went, it dropped us off in front of a market square type area. Pickup was at the same location. It ran every 15 minutes or so. From the drop off location, it's a nice walk around town and to the waterfront area. There are shops and cafes and such all over the area.

how close is the nearest beach from the town(drop offlocation)...or is there a beach closer to the port - do you know? thank you!

how close is the nearest beach from the town(drop offlocation)...or is there a beach closer to the port - do you know? thank you!

Sorry. I can't help on this one. I did not see any sign of a beach in the town of Chania along the waterfront that I walked. It was more of a small, sheltered boat marina.

Since no one has replied yet, I'll answer with my knowledge. They did in May of 2011. That may not be as recent as you're looking for though.

Hi, I w'd like to know that once we get to Chania town by shuttle from Souda, is it easy to go around the town on foot to the various sights?

I will admit that I did virtually no pre-planning for the port of Chania. There were no ship excursions that sounded of interest to me and I took the trip on about 2 weeks notice, so I didn't have much time to research. I may very well have missed out on interesting and exciting things to see and do in the port. But my plan from the start was to just get into Chania from Souda and just walk around. It was my "relax" port on a 24-day back-to-back cruise. With that in mind, I had a very easy time of just walking around the touristy area. It took me about 30 minutes at a leisurely pace to reach the waterfront from where the bus dropped us off. This included browsing thru the market hall at the drop off site. It's not a hilly or overly difficult terrain. Sidewalks or cobblestone type streets, alleys, sidewalks, etc. Then I looped back toward the bus pickup point. I really didn't see much that interested me other than the picturesque waterfront area. To be honest, I arrived in town around 8 or 8:30, and I think and was headed back to the ship by noon, I think. On a cruise where I frequently took a couple hundred pictures at many ports, I only took 38 in Chania. It's a nice small city, but I didn't find it particularly memorable. Here is a link to my Chania photo album if you're interested...

Chania Pictures.

thanks for sharing everyone! Useful info! :)

just wondering: did anyone take any shore or private tours in Crete?

Was wondering about visiting Heraklion for the glimpse of Minoan pre-civilisation and culture... is it worth the trip up and what's the best way to get there on our own?

Archived