In Theory this would be great, but does it work? A new concept!

akh007

I am only 21 years old, and a several years back I'd enjoy making prank phone calls using the internet, and at the time many websites that would give free phone calls over the internet from your computer using your cable modem. This got me thinking on a recent cruise, would it work to use one of these websites (dialpad.com) with your own laptop and earpiece while connected to the internet on the ship? For 35 cents a minute I figure that is a great way to make phone calls. All you need is your computer speakers to hear and a little 2 dollar microphone to talk into (what I used years ago). Has anyone done this, or see any problems with it working?

Your prank phone calls from a few years back would be considered a misdemeanor in many states, and thus illegal.

Theft of services, whether wireless or wired, is also a violation of several different statutes.

You're nuts drake. I was just giving some background on how I came up with the idea, you need to relax and not give me the legal background on my behaviors (I know a bit about the law as I am a law student right now). And secondly, there was no stealing of any services, the websites at that time offered free calls so nothing was being stolen. I was seeking a response not someone telling me I committed a misdemeanor 5 years ago, which have a statute of limitations of 1 year anyway, lol.

akhoo7

I remember those sights, I used them alot to make free calls to call relatives. I do remember one that you had to "read" ads for free time, which I did and did not mind at all. Do not pay any attention to others who get a bit off subject............

My cell phone, which is free (when service is available) and the .35 - .50 a minute internet email suffice for me when we want to keep in touch while cruising. :) Your way seems like too much trouble. Are you planning on making prank phone calls from the ship? :rolleyes:

BTW - You have the same initials as my son, but he isn't into 007.

I am only 21 years old, and a several years back I'd enjoy making prank phone calls using the internet, and at the time many websites that would give free phone calls over the internet from your computer using your cable modem. This got me thinking on a recent cruise, would it work to use one of these websites (dialpad.com) with your own laptop and earpiece while connected to the internet on the ship? For 35 cents a minute I figure that is a great way to make phone calls. All you need is your computer speakers to hear and a little 2 dollar microphone to talk into (what I used years ago). Has anyone done this, or see any problems with it working?

The current wireless system onboard Princess ships allows access to the Internet via your personal computer. What you do with it, I suppose, is up to you.

For example, if you had a video camera hooked up to your laptop you could indeed send video to a friend, absolutely within the rules. It's not a very fast connection though so it would take a while.

I remember those sites too. Today you can subscribe to a service that will allow you to use the Internet for your phone line. I am waiting right now to see how it works out for another CC member who is doing just that through AOL and it is going to be his primary phone line.

Is this what you're wanting to know or am I not understanding?

Even on wireless you'd still be going through the ships proxy server. If they were smart, they'd block those sites (i.e., to prevent so you'd have to use S2S). Otherwise, the concept may work but would/could be *very* slow, depending on ship location.

Your prank phone calls from a few years back would be considered a misdemeanor in many states, and thus illegal.

Theft of services, whether wireless or wired, is also a violation of several different statutes.

It's Sunday....lighten up.

In the early 70's when I was growing up, prank phone calls were a HARMLESS prank, and we used to call teachers, neighbors, etc to ask the usual "is your refridgerator running?" and "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" etc, the time when there were no caller id, *69, *67. We had grand fun, and we were only 12 years old, and thats what 12 year olds do, and it was FUN, so leave the op alone.............

I don't see why it wouldn't work with your own laptop, but keep in mind that unless something has changed on certain ships, you have to use the laptop in the ship atrium/lobby area where it is very noisy and it wouldn't be very private to be yelling into the headpiece to be heard. I used dialpaid years ago and the connections never seemed very good to me, but maybe they have improved. Clever idea though.

I know on RCL I had access to the internet form my stateroom and they blocked the ports necessary to make the calls. Once, on the Explorer of the Seas, the webmaster of Qwikfyx.com broadcast the view form his balcony on his webcam. Here is his site: http://www.qwikfyx.com/Cruises/Explorer2/index.htm

Their "CyberCabin" service had (may still have) unlimited use if you paid the flat rate so it worked pretty well.

Archived