Please Explain PC Dining

ShrinkinTexas

I have never sailed on Princess before, but booked a 2006 Alaska trip today. It does southbound from Whittier on the Diamond (I'm so excited as it is a rather new ship!!!!!!!!). I have always sailed on Royal Caribbean, and this will be a new one for me. Normally, I choose late dinning so I'm not rushed at the ports. We will have 8 in our party. I really don't understand the whole Personal Choice Dining. This ship has something like 4-6 restaurants. Do you have to pay more for these specialty restaurants instead of the traditional dining room? Can someone please explain this to me as it is very foreign............

Like I said, we have eight in our party, so we will want a big table every night, will others sit with us or is 8 the limit at any table?

Thanks!!!

Hope you will love the Diamond, she is quite a gem.

Personal Choice is an option to the traditional dining seatings (6pm & 8:15pm). You can eat in a different place every night at a different time, or you can reserve a table at 8:30pm every night. Basically opens more options to you.

There are some alternative dining options that do cost extra. Sabatini (Italian) is $20, Sterling Steak House($15) if I remember correctly.

As for your group, you can request a table just for all of you, or request a larger table. Hope this helps........

Have an awesome cruise;)

PC dining is quite simple. Princess offers the normal early and late seatings, or you can choose a walk-up style of dining called Anytime. On most ships, this is done in two or three nearly identical dining rooms that serve exactly the same food, same dress codes etc. Usually one dining room is for the early and late seatings, the others for Anytime.

On the Sapphire it's a little different. The two Anytime dining rooms were subdivided to make 4 differently themed dining rooms - Asian, Southwest, Sterling Steakhouse, and Italian. The tradtional dining gets the standard rotation of menus, plus can choose items from the themed menus. The themed dining rooms have their own menus and if I've understood it correctly, also can order from the other menu that is being offered in traditional.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. Basically, everyone has access to the same menus and food at some point throughout the cruise. The major decision is whether you want a fixed dining time with the same waiters or the anytime option.

I was on the Diamond last November and it was exactly the same as the Sapphire. The only restuarant we had to pay in was Sabatini's. When I sailed we didn't have to pay for the steakhouse, it was one of the four Anytime Dining Options. I found Personal Choice dining the most convenient and never a problem, though at the time, we had to call every two days to make reservations.

Just got off the Star Princess and we loved PC dining. We were very fortunate to have an outstanding, superlative waiter. We made reservations for the rest of the week for 7:30 at the same table. By the middle of the week, this waiter's tables were all reserved. He was that incredible.

Anyone taking the Star Princess during the remainder of this year, Roel (Phillipines) is worth seeking out. When I finish unpacking, I'll post his last name. We all wrote up comment cards and gave him and the asst waiter (Rudolph) extra gratuities that were very much deserved! Each night we looked forward to seeing him and followed his recommendations and always had either a very good or outstanding meal.

Does everyone still dress up for formal nights when using PC?

In PC dining room (Capri) on the Star last week, 1st formal night, the more important formal night, about 30-35% wore a tux, 45% wore a suit and tie. 2nd formal, less men wore tuxes, and also less suits with ties.

I feel very foolish for asking, but we are on the Caribbean Princess the end of May and have the Anytime Dining. I understand we can choose anywhere to eat but the main dining rooms, but do we still dress on Formal nights, etc. Does anyone suggest doing Sabatinis or Sterlings on the formal nights? I appreciate any info you can give me.

I feel very foolish for asking, but we are on the Caribbean Princess the end of May and have the Anytime Dining. I understand we can choose anywhere to eat but the main dining rooms, but do we still dress on Formal nights, etc. Does anyone suggest doing Sabatinis or Sterlings on the formal nights? I appreciate any info you can give me.

You most certainly can eat in one of the two non-traditional dining rooms on the CB. Only one of the three main dining rooms is designated for traditional (fixed-seating) dining; the other two restaurants are open to all "anytime" passengers.

With the exception of Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe, most people will dress formally in other dining venues, including Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's. While either of these restaurants would be fine on formal evenings, DH and I prefer one of the main dining rooms because the menu is special as is the overall atmosphere. We don't go to one of the alternative restaurants on formal nights for this reason.

We enjoyed the Caribbean Princess (January, 2005) and look forward to sailing on this magnificent ship again next January. You will love it!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Archived