RMS Queen Mary

Hope it's appropriate to mention this grand old lady, now permanently docked in Long Beach and serving as a hotel. We spent a night in a first class cabin last month. We asked for a cabin that was mostly in original condition, and we had a gorgeous room with original heater, fan, toilet and shower. This ship has fantastic Art Deco styling. I took lots of pix of little details, like cut glass carvings, nuts and bolts, and even a great closeup of the crow's nest.

The Queen is now in bankruptcy, and her future is uncertain. She is well worth a side trip to Long Beach. And if you are lucky, you might experience one of her ghosts. (I did!!!) :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to see her twice. Experiencing her today is probably just a shadow of what it would have been like to actually sail in her, but she's so rich in history...and how wonderful that she's still here to see at all.

I understood that the operator of her hotel and attractions was in bankruptcy, but the ship herself is the property of the City of Long Beach. Hopefully they're still committed to her after 38 years together (7 more than she spent in Cunard service!), and she's not in any imminent peril. :)

Here's what the National Register website has to say (http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/about.htm):

"Listing in the National Register contributes to preserving historic properties in a number of ways:

• Recognition that a property is of significance to the Nation, the State, or the community.
  • Consideration in the planning for Federal or federally assisted projects.
  • Eligibility for Federal tax benefits.
  • Qualification for Federal assistance for historic preservation, when funds are available."

But does it actually serve to protect a listed site? It doesn't sound like it. SS United States is also on the register, I believe, and her situation is anything but certain even after her purchase by NCL.

I recently stayed on the Mary, as well. Our "cabin" was similar to what Freckles67 described. There were little gems about -- such as a shoerack built into the wall behind a door, and the various bathtub faucets for hot salt, cold salt, hot fresh, and cold fresh.

My photos are located HERE.

Freckles67 -- I want to hear your ghost story.

Philadelphia had the chance to mirror Long Beach, first with the Queen Elizabeth in 1969, then with the United States which continues to languish at dock.

Guess I'll have to make the trip out west to see that great liner.

Hope this doesn't disappoint you.... we didn't actually SEE a ghost. Here's what happened, in 2003 when I spent my first night aboard the QM. Our cabin was first class, HUGE with two king beds. I was travelling with a friend I'd met on a cruise... we were two "escaped moms on the loose."

When it was bedtime we both felt creeped out, and decided to leave the bathroom light on. I found that I couldn't sleep with my back turned to the bathroom.... had to lie on my left side, something was really freaky from that side of the cabin and bothered us both. (Didn't sleep much that night!) I heard a metallic creak creak creak which sounded like it was coming from the bathroom. It sounded like an old fashioned toilet paper holder with TP being unrolled and thought I'd see TP all over the bathroom floor in the morning. (we were both too scared to get up and look).

The next morning all was well in the bathroom.... BUT... when I walked to the closet, which had two doors, each with a doorknob right next to each other, I saw that one of the metal doorknobs was bent at a 45 degree angle. This closet was adjacent to the bathroom. I know it hadn't been like that the day before, as I had hung some clothes in the closet, and all was normal at that time. I took several pix of the bent doorknob. I remembered the creaking noises that we heard for over an hour, and figured we had been visited... not by a TP loving ghost, but by the ghost of the bent doorknobs. (Maybe he was trying to come out of the closet???) :p

This year on the QM, with my hubby (who ain't afraid of no ghost!) we had a perfectly delightful, unscary, peaceful evening and I slept like a baby with my back to the bathroom! ;)

Can only say that it was truely an experience. You can feel her grandeur of days gone by in the air as you walk through her. Can't say I saw a ghost directly, but sensed something continuously during our time on her. For us it was even more of an experience because we were able to call a dear friend a few times while we were on the ship who actually sailed on the Queen during her heyday! Very glad we had the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent only one night on Queen Mary in 1994, but it was memorable. In the middle of the night, I was awoken by a swaying motion of the entire ship. It wasn't until the next morning, on turning on the TV, that we discovered there had been a major earthquake (the Northridge quake) and I presume that is what caused the ship to shudder. My partner was not disturbed, so now we say: for me, the earth moved; my partner slept through it.:)

We stayed one night on the Queen Mary in August 2004 - an ambition of mine since I had very vivid childhood memories of her leaving the UK for the last time in the 1960s.

It was one of the strangest experiences of my life! Everywhere I went on the ship I felt as if I was being followed - and there never was anyone there. We stayed on B deck and were later told by one of the guides that B deck is the most haunted area of the ship.

I'm glad I experienced it but I'm not sure I'd stay there again!!!

• 3 months later...

Took my kids to see her in April 2004. My wife and I have been there several time, especially for the Halloween event every year. Anyway, my youngest is totally taken in by ghost hunting TV shows and since they had a ghost tour (not the Ghosts and Legends Show) that went into the depths of the ship, we decided to take the tour. When we went into the dressing rooms of the first class swimming pool, they were explaining what the guide said was one of the many vortex the ship had one of our tour companion yelled that he had been slapped on his back very hard. When we got out into the light he had a very large red mark right in the middle of his back. Don't know what caused and really don't care to know. I just know there are places onboard that are strange and very cold in spots and when you move 5 feet to either side it gets much warmer. I would have to say I do believe in many of the stories that are told there.

We visited back in 1988, when the Spruce Goose was exhibited alongside. We had gone to San Diego to see BIL, and I told DH that my number one side trip was a visit to QM. We drove up from San Diego after morning rush hour, heeding BIL's advice to be back on the road before the afternoon rush - and was he right! Not nearly enough time, though. We had a wonderful visit then, and would like to go back again with the kids sometime.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I Sailed On The Queen In 1954., Back & Forth From England. I Used To Spend My Summers In England With My Family. She Was Beautiful I Remember Playing In The Childerns Play Room, We Use To Have Childerns Tea Parties( Had To Wear White Gloves And Party Dresses.] Waiters Always Wore White Gloves. When You Sat On Deck You Would Be Given Wool Blanket, Also Offered Tea Or Bovarl.

You Would Be Handed A China Cup With Saucer, Tea Would Be Poured Out Of A Silver Tea Pot. That Was The Life

When I Was Younger And Sailed , My Mom Told Me The Story Of How I Was Playing With Pennies & Swallowed One. She Called The Ships Dr, He Sent A Steward To Get Me They Ran So Fast With Me Through The Back Allies She Could Not Keep Up With Them. Found Out All The Excitement Was Because They Thought I Swallowed An English Penny( Which Was The Size Of To Us Pennies)

On Thursday, February 23, 2006, the two Queen Marys will meet in Long Beach California.

See http://thequeenmarysmeet.com/ for details.

That would be awesome to see- the sisters next to each other!

I stayed on QM a few years back-loved to see different rooms set up as they were ages ago! Ionly wish I had actually cruised on her, as opposed to sleeping there docked.

This is what I wrote the Cunard boards an our feelings on the QM. That was a special time for us.

We have never cruised Cunard. That is a dream, but being old the meeting of the two Queens was major for us and friends.

I will explain why that is special. Back when my husband and I were kids, the QM1 was brought to Long Beach. Back then you could drive on the peir. This was back in the Sunday drive era. Both our families on Sunday would drive us out to see her become what she is. We both have memories of what went on. The smoke stacks collaspsing and the wonderful teak furniture just left on the dock.

When the QM1 first opened she also had a musem in the bottom which is no longer there. Everyone went. My grandparents as an indulgence, booked a room so my sister and I could spend the night on her. I was 7 and she was 3 our first cruise or at least we thought so.

The meeting of the two was very special to us. We remember the wonder of when Long Beach got the first one. I did meet number two in port once and took mega photos. They are very special ships that deserve respect.

A side note we saw her before the Spruce Goose. We are pretty old. But when the goose came, I actually drove my younger siblings out to see that also. A piece of history.

Archived