Leaving baby in nursery while on excursion?

Oh, Lord. This will be unpopular but I have not only brought my infants… I have left them on the ship when I went ashore. I do "trust my gut" and have made no plans for shore days but when the kids seem to be doing fine at AO and I'd like to walk around for a bit, I have no issue leaving them. I have been cruising for many years now and feel comfortable in making that judgement.

I would not suggest taking a non-RC excursion or getting drunk while off the ship, though, of course.

And as for those of you that suggest leaving the kids with a loved one an option… DO I HEAR A VOLUNTEER????? My mom works FT and my MIL is in her Mid 70's…

As you may have read, I have an 18 year old, a 3 year old and a 9 month old who have all cruised with us without incident.

I would also agree with the above poster. I would never leave my 8 month on a ship without someone I personally know, just in case we would get delayed. Anything can happen when you are off the ship, especially on a helicopter ride.

If you want to do something like that and not take the infant, you should leave the infant at home with a loved one.

100% with you

Another voice from the crowd: I remember when my son was that age. You question yourself for fear of being over protective. IMHO, it would not be over protective to say that you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the baby on the ship. I wouldn't do it. Too many things can happen and the baby is still so very small.

We left our children with a caregiver to do a turn around bus trip. A flash flood took out the roads and we were stuck for three days. No flights available. ( had done the trip many times in the past- always home in twelve hours.) We had wonderful neighbors that stepped in and took our daughters.

You never expect the problems. I would at least have a back up plan in place. Ask the cruise line what would happen if you missed the ship, were injured and could not get back on the ship, etc. I think if you did not show up, maybe CPS would be called in as it is an American port. I do not think that they would leave the child onboard without a parent.

Oh, Lord. This will be unpopular but I have not only brought my infants… I have left them on the ship when I went ashore. I do "trust my gut" and have made no plans for shore days but when the kids seem to be doing fine at AO and I'd like to walk around for a bit, I have no issue leaving them. I have been cruising for many years now and feel comfortable in making that judgement.

I would not suggest taking a non-RC excursion or getting drunk while off the ship, though, of course.

And as for those of you that suggest leaving the kids with a loved one an option… DO I HEAR A VOLUNTEER????? My mom works FT and my MIL is in her Mid 70's…

As you may have read, I have an 18 year old, a 3 year old and a 9 month old who have all cruised with us without incident.

I would volunteer to go on a cruise and care for anyone's children while they go on shore. My only charge would be the cruise fair and travel expenses to get there. :D I could be a cruise nanny!!! Yes, yes, this would be a great career for me.

But seriously...I would not leave my children on board (any age) and go on an excursion like a helicopter ride, maybe walk around port for a bit, but that's as far as I would go. In fact, I don't think I would take a baby, or child under about 6 on a cruise at all. They don't understand that they are on vacation at that age, and don't know it's supposed to be fun. I wouldn't even take them to Disney at that age. Ever been there and looked around and there are sooooo many families with toddler age kids having a miserable time because the child just doesn't get it. They are throwing fits, they are tired, their regular routine is off, etc. Just not a good idea, IN MY OPINION. I know many do it, but I wouldn't.

BTW, I didn't have toddlers, I adopted my children when they were a bit older, so in all reality, I can't say from experience. All I can say is what I THINK I would or wouldn't do.

I was nervous leaving our four year-old daughter on the ship during our first cruise, and that was just a beach day in Cozumel. I can't imagine leaving an infant on board, especially taking what many would consider a riskier excursion.

Just curious why you wouldn't take your four year old to the beach with you in Cozumel?

I am not a mom, but a camp director. I am responsible for sixty 10-14 yr olds for 40 days as we travel through the entire US & Canada. I have many parents who trust me with their precious cargo. This may sound blunt or cold, but consider this...

A major emergency can happen regardless of whether you: leave the infant home, put them in the nursery, OR have a cruise Nanny. There is nothing you can do about it.

Remember, you would still have to make it back to the ship or interrupt your cruise heaven forbid there was a devastating emergency back home. If you can deal with that guilt & anxiety, then you can leave the infant anywhere.

I just came back from Disney & it just BAFFLES ME to see couples lugging around NEWBORNS in Bjorn harnesses & cranky infants in strollers in the blistering heat. How can that be relaxing, pleasant or fun for parents OR their toddlers? (I tend to lean this way.)

Either leave the infant home in good hands or take the baby & embrace your family. If you need a break, you can utilize the nursery to go to the spa or have a nice dinner.

I know I'll probably take some heat for this but, I would never bring an infant on a cruise ship...just not safe and I don't see how the adults get to really relax and enjoy themselves. There are other family-type vacations better suited for the younger kids. I personnally believe ages 6-8 are soon enough for the first cruise...(even with Disney!) Just my opinion. And NO...do not leave your baby on the ship while you go ashore...not speaking from experience but it's my mother instinct talking.:)

Even though it is your opinion, you should take a little heat.:p The OP didn't ask for opinions on whether or not they should take the child on a cruise.;)

What's not safe about taking taking an infant?:confused:

I think if you did not show up, maybe CPS would be called in as it is an American port. I do not think that they would leave the child onboard without a parent.

You're wrong.

There just was a case of a couple who left there baby on onboard and went on an independent excursion. Something went wrong, they were back late and the ship left without them. The next day was a sea day, so they could only get to the ship 2 days later, after paying for a flight to Florida. The onboard babysitter was with the baby the entire time, meaning a small fortune in babysitting fees, not to mention probably years off their lives in stress.

This isn't a matter of being paranoid and hysterical, it's about being responsible.

Comparing leaving little kids on a ship to sending kids to camp? That's just comparing apples and oranges.

Alaska was that camp comment to me?

If it is, Apples & oranges... They are still other peoples children. Taking care of other peoples kids I have been there for everything from serious ER situations, to stitches, night terrors, collitis, to "womanhood" to giving thousands of hugs for homesickness over the years. I treat every one of my campers as if they are my own.

It's a HUGE responsibility. And authorization to treat medically is put in our hands if we cant reach the parent. This can be scary as we travel over all of North America.

I don't think I would have piece of mind knowing I was galavanting on a helicopter while my infant is on a ship.

Whichever the mom decides, enjoy your cruise!

Even though it is your opinion, you should take a little heat.:p The OP didn't ask for opinions on whether or not they should take the child on a cruise.;)

The OP was asking for any suggestions on the matter. These forums are here to share thoughts & ideas. Nothing wrong with posting an opinion.

I'm not exactly sure what she meant by cruises are unsafe either... But I can understand how she believes that bringing an infant on a cruise is more work than a vacation especially because toddlers are too young to appreciate or remember it.

Alaska was that camp comment to me?

If it is, Apples & oranges... They are still other peoples children. Taking care of other peoples kids I have been there for everything from serious ER situations, to stitches, night terrors, collitis, to "womanhood" to giving thousands of hugs for homesickness over the years. I treat every one of my campers as if they are my own.

It's a HUGE responsibility. And authorization to treat medically is put in our hands if we cant reach the parent. This can be scary as we travel over all of North America.

I don't think I would have piece of mind knowing I was galavanting on a helicopter while my infant is on a ship.

Whichever the mom decides, enjoy your cruise!

Sorry, I guess I misundertood you :)

I've also been heavily involved with camps and tour groups, not as head of the camp, but in charge of a certain age group. I've also seen it all, from rushing a kid to the hospital to calming kids down about being far away from home. I thought you were saying that because parents send their kids off to camp - it's the same thing as leaving a baby onboard a ship. Now I see we both agree that it is not the same :) Sorry!

The OP was asking for any suggestions on the matter. These forums are here to share thoughts & ideas. Nothing wrong with posting an opinion.

I'm not exactly sure what she meant by cruises are unsafe either... But I can understand how she believes that bringing an infant on a cruise is more work than a vacation especially because toddlers are too young to appreciate or remember it.

Yes, the OP was asking for suggerstion on the matter......should she leave her infant on the ship while they went on an excursion. I do know what these forums are for and no, there is nothing wrong with posting an opinion. I gave the person I was quoting credit that it was their opinion.

However, it still remains that the OP was not asking for anyone's opinion, thoughts, ideas about bringing the infant on a cruise.

That person even knew she would get some heat, so I was obliging by giving a little.:D

I donno, do they put a tag on the kid and give an identical tag to the parents? We've got a supermarket here w/ a childrens thing where the parents can drop off their kids while they shop, always seeing stories in the newspaper on how just random ppl come and say, i'm here to pick up my kid, go inside, and grab em'! Then the real parents come to pick up their kid, OH SORRY, YOUR KID'S BEEN KIDNAPPED, WE'LL PAY FOR THE AMBER ALERT! AND HERE'S A COUPON FOR A FREE ITEM IN THE STORE. Plus the care takers at this supermarket are like teenage girls from high school, the kids are going nuts throwing stuff and drawing on everything while the teenage girl care takers are on their cell phone texting...

Man...you guys are mean! :)

I know you are being 'tongue in cheek' :) but a lot of folks will sympathize with the late folks..likely because they can see themselves, mores the pity!

When one considers what it takes to run a ship and the costs involved - Having to delay the ship while staff takes a tender back to shore for them & then back to the ship again costs a lot of not just time but money (the gas & wear/tear on the tender boat & staff time not doing their regular chores)...I am sure the cruiseline shareholders don't like spending $ for basically someones lack of consideration or respect for others namely being late..

They knew when the ship was due to sail - thats a pax responsibility and whatever the reason they were late is their fault and they shld be held responsible for it. Wld they like to pay the costs involved in going back to pick them up - I wld wager NOT!!

A delayed excursion, if they did opt to take one not sanctioned by the ship (they will wait for those), is their responsibility not the cruiselines & not other pax either who are inconvenienced sometimes for hrs waiting for these people.

Lets instead call it like it is - 'irresponsible & thoughtless' usually (there are exceptions of course) but seems to me at least there are too many of them out there these days also.

Thanks for making a joke of it...

Hope you have a great day :)

I donno, do they put a tag on the kid and give an identical tag to the parents? We've got a supermarket here w/ a childrens thing where the parents can drop off their kids while they shop, always seeing stories in the newspaper on how just random ppl come and say, i'm here to pick up my kid, go inside, and grab em'! Then the real parents come to pick up their kid, OH SORRY, YOUR KID'S BEEN KIDNAPPED, WE'LL PAY FOR THE AMBER ALERT! AND HERE'S A COUPON FOR A FREE ITEM IN THE STORE. Plus the care takers at this supermarket are like teenage girls from high school, the kids are going nuts throwing stuff and drawing on everything while the teenage girl care takers are on their cell phone texting...

LOL. happens all the time, does it? Hard to imagine that grocery store remaining in business after the first kidnapping. :D

My grocery store also offers a baby sitting service in house while you shop. You have to leave your driver's license or other picture ID, fill out a mountain of forms the first time you use the service, and no parents are permitted in the child play area but the area has a full wall of windows, so parents can see their kids inside. It's actually rather similar to the procedure at my grandson's daycare, and neither facility has had any incidents of kidnapping.

But thanks. That was hilarious.

It's OK...I don't mind the heat:) I guess the OPs question just blew me away! I hope she does a little soul-searching and arrives at whatever decision is best for her. There's always some weird story on the news about missing kids so for my family, unless you can talk and fight back, you're not old enough to travel in some circles--just my way of keeping the littlest ones a bit safer;)

I know you are being 'tongue in cheek' :) but a lot of folks will sympathize with the late folks..likely because they can see themselves, mores the pity!

When one considers what it takes to run a ship and the costs involved - Having to delay the ship while staff takes a tender back to shore for them & then back to the ship again costs a lot of not just time but money (the gas & wear/tear on the tender boat & staff time not doing their regular chores)...I am sure the cruiseline shareholders don't like spending $ for basically someones lack of consideration or respect for others namely being late..

They knew when the ship was due to sail - thats a pax responsibility and whatever the reason they were late is their fault and they shld be held responsible for it. Wld they like to pay the costs involved in going back to pick them up - I wld wager NOT!!

A delayed excursion, if they did opt to take one not sanctioned by the ship (they will wait for those), is their responsibility not the cruiselines & not other pax either who are inconvenienced sometimes for hrs waiting for these people.

Lets instead call it like it is - 'irresponsible & thoughtless' usually (there are exceptions of course) but seems to me at least there are too many of them out there these days also.

Thanks for making a joke of it...

Hope you have a great day :)

There's a difference between "fault" and "responsibility," and lumping them together like you have is, IMO, not fair. Consider these two scenarios:

1. Guy goes ashore, goes to the local bar, gets hammered. Wakes up from his drunken stupor to discover that the ship has left without him.

This person is at fault, and he is responsible for making his own way home. He was irresponsible and thoughtless, and I would have no sympathy for him.

2. Guy takes a private excursion around the island. While they're on the far side, a mudslide closes the only road from there back to the port. It takes hours to clear the mess, and by the time the road is reopened, the ship has left without him.

Is he responsible for making his own way home? Yes, he is. But is he at fault, or has he behaved irresponsibly? Clearly not. No one is at fault, he's simply the victim of bad luck. Yes, it's still on him to get back home; but he shouldn't be "blamed" for it.

Geez, the liability insurance on that place must be astronomical! :eek:

Seriously, kidnappers are "always" doing their "shopping" at this place? Color me skeptical. If it happened even once, I would imagine that (1) their check-in/check-out procedures have been tightened, or (2) they've gone out of business, drowned in a sea of lawsuit payouts.

Another bunch of idiots who should have been left behind to teach them to watch the time and also to serve as an example for others.

DON

It's not always their fault. We were late getting back to the ship in St. Lucia because both of the boats (2 separate boats) on our excursion broke down while taking our group back to the ship. The other group made it back before we did and our friend was telling the crew member that we were right behind them & on our way. Believe it or not, they waited on us.....we were not on a ship excursion either.

I couldn't do it because I'd be too worried I wouldn't get back to the boat if baby needed me (or ever).

That said, there have been people over the years who wouldn't think twice. So really it has to be whatever you are comfortable with.

It sure is hard having kids though - sometimes just a few hours "off" to enjoy activities that you can't with kids is so tempting.

Any chance you can make it an adult only vacation? We left DS with grandparents at 8 months for a 5 night cruise and it really helped recharge our batteries. I know that isn't for everyone.

Someday you will get to do that "fun" stuff again! Is the tour offerred imore than once so you could each stay with baby on the ground and take turns? Not ideal, but at least you'd each still get to experience.

We have taken our kids now 10 and 8 on 4 cruises. The only time we left them in kids club was when the Grandparents were aboard the ship.

My DH wants me to leave them but I can not and will not do it. I would be worried about what would happen and would not enjoy myself anyway.

Leaving them while we are all aboard the ship...sure no worries then. Thats what we love about cruising we get a family vacation and DH and I get some adult time too.

... it just BAFFLES ME to see couples lugging around NEWBORNS in Bjorn harnesses & cranky infants in strollers in the blistering heat. How can that be relaxing, pleasant or fun for parents OR their toddlers?

It's not. ;)

Like I tell my (older) kids; "It's not supposed to be "fun," it's a FAMILY TOGETHERNESS ACTIVITY!!" :D

Archived