Amazon cruise - inoculations?

patnlcc

I know this has been asked and answered many times, but please update me. What do we need for our Amazon cruise in November 2012? Yellow Fever? Malaria tablets? Anything else?

we had yellow fever shot last week, no side affects, the doctor gave us a script for malaria pills, 7 pills taken weekly starting one week before arrival in the amazon. the doctor also recommended a hepatitous A shot.

We were on Seabourn SA in Jan and at the last minute needed yellow fever shot for Ecuador. Had trouble getting it because we are over 60. Finally went to public health and they gladly gave it to us. Also recommended Hep A&B combo. Please read the info on malaria drugs. If you are not required to take them (how do they know?), take all side effects into consideration. Also, look at where you are going and the incidence of malaria there. All drugs have some side effects.

Yes, I know, but I now have a bit of a 'thing' about malaria after a lady died on a previous cruise from malaria which she got on a 3-day safari pre-cruise before boarding in Cape Town. She hadn't taken any anti-malaria medication.

If there is risk of malaria, I always take the malaria medication because mosquitos love me and it only takes one to give u malaria.

I was in the Galapagos 2 weeks ago and I had over 15 counted on my back...very few of the other people with me were bothered by them! Fortunately there's no malaria in the Galapagos.:)

U definitely need Yellow Fever and if u r going to eat away from the ship, u should have hepatitis (can't remember which one tho).

Hey, it's only a jab or a few tablets as opposed to a shocking disease. I know what I'd do.

Have fun!

Cheers

Jennifer

We took this same cruise last year. We had yellow fever jabs and were never asked at any point, even when entering the US after our trip, to show our certificates.

We also took malaria tabs - malarone, without side affects. We didnt get bitten.

However there is NO WAY we would ever take the risk of contracting malaria or any disease. There is a reason why these things are recomended, as prevention, the 'cures' are simply not an option. We travel to see the world in all its glory - along with its hazards!

Dont take the risk!

Archived