What happens in a muster drill?

jakeHOU97

I think this varies ship by ship. On the Magic, we went to our A3 muster station, and they showed us the video and how to put on lifejackets. In and out in 10 minutes.

On OTHER cruise on the Fantasy in 2005, they talked to us, not sure if they played a video, but we were told we could stay put for the 2nd part of drill since we had a small child.

How does it work exactly on non Dream ships?

On the Freedom we had to go immediately to the muster station which was outside on the deck with the lifeboats. We were packed in between two lines and made to stand there for the entire presentation (45 minutes). Ugh... it was very hot and not pleasurable, but was tolerable.

On the Inspiration we had to go immediately to the muster station which was in one of the bars inside. We got a brief presentation by a crew member (15 minutes) and then had to go outside to the deck with the lifeboats, line up so they could take a head count and then were released (20 minutes).

I did prefer the Dream last year. We had to go immediately to the theatre where they do the shows. We watched a video and then were let go. Didn't have to go outside at all.

I'm wondering how it will be on the Legend this October.

On the Freedom we had to go immediately to the muster station which was outside on the deck with the lifeboats. We were packed in between two lines and made to stand there for the entire presentation (45 minutes). Ugh... it was very hot and not pleasurable, but was tolerable.

On the Inspiration we had to go immediately to the muster station which was in one of the bars inside. We got a brief presentation by a crew member (15 minutes) and then had to go outside to the deck with the lifeboats, line up so they could take a head count and then were released (20 minutes).

I did prefer the Dream last year. We had to go immediately to the theatre where they do the shows. We watched a video and then were let go. Didn't have to go outside at all.

I wonder why the Dream Class doesen't go outside like others do?

But since its unpleasurable like you said,.....I guess I'm kinda glad its inside.

It will be the "outside" routine where you stand around packed uncomfortably close to your fellow passengers for a half hour or so while a crew member says things that only about a third of the passengers will hear.

For me, the cruise doesn't really begin until that bit of unpleasantness is completed.

I just sailed the Elation, and our muster station was in the theatre. We first assembled there, then we did have to all file out to the outside area where the lifeboats are...so we had to go to both places. I'm not complaining, but I can't say everyone would remain that calm meeting first in the theatre then walking out to the lifeboat area. THe whole thing took 20-30 minutes at least, and I know people would be freaking out in a real emergency.

I just sailed the Elation, and our muster station was in the theatre. We first assembled there, then we did have to all file out to the outside area where the lifeboats are...so we had to go to both places. I'm not complaining, but I can't say everyone would remain that calm meeting first in the theatre then walking out to the lifeboat area. THe whole thing took 20-30 minutes at least, and I know people would be freaking out in a real emergency.
One advantage of a meeting place like a lounge is that if the assigned lifeboat was not available (for example, because the ship is listing too heavily to launch the lifeboat), the crew can lead the passengers to an alternate site - whether another lifeboat or one of the rafts. (Those barrels you often see in photos of the boat deck? They're life rafts, intended for use by the crew but I suspect also available for passengers if necessary.)

On Carnival ships, you're told your assigned section and all minors receive bracelets with that section printed on them that they have to wear the whole cruise, so you can meet at the assigned place. They also demonstrate how to put on life preservers.

:eek:I will throw out one word of warning.....don't go up as soon as they tell you to. Why? Because you will be standing shoulder to shoulder with everyone and people DO go on their cruise even if they're dragging themselves sick as dogs!!! I've seen it myself. I'm somewhat in the medical field and KNOW when people are showing signs of illness. It was spring break last year when we went. I told my husband NOT to go up when everyone else was and to wait and be toward the end of the line. He didn't listen and was thrusted right into the middle of a ton of people sneezing and coughing (up north it was still very cold time of year in April and I imagine a lot of those folks carried their colds/viruses down to the FL port with them). Well, 48 hours later, my husband was sick with laryngitis and felt really crappy. So save yourself and be sure and not get in the middle of a crowd of coughing, sneezing people. That close, you are BOUND to get their mucus on you.:eek::eek:

I agree with waiting as long as you can, on the Freedom we stood 4 lines deep, shoulder to shoulder and it starts to get warm and they made us put our drinks on a separate ledge.

After 15 min of drill, they then announced because of the number of German speaking guests onboard we would be listening AGAIN only in German. Funny thing is, we never ran into any German cruisers, only Scottish???

On our Carnival Glory Cruise a couple weeks ago .... the Muster Drill lasted for what seem to be forever. It was 30 minutes plus .....EASY ! ! !

They gave the instructions in English..... then in Spanish ..... then in German.

We had people fainting all over the place. When I say this I mean we had 3 folks in our area drop to the floor.:eek:

I agree the Muster Drill is very important .... BUT .... 30 - 45 minutes in a congested area with no air hearing 3 different languages was frustrating. There just needs to be adjustments.

On Carnival ships, you're told your assigned section and all minors receive bracelets with that section printed on them that they have to wear the whole cruise, so you can meet at the assigned place. They also demonstrate how to put on life preservers.

It's sad because I noticed on our Dream cruise that after the muster drill, there were a lot of small children walking around without their bracelets on. Those were put on them for a reason.

I will be in one tomorrow!!!

Kim

I hope you do a review with pics when you get back :)

I see several people recommend waiting a while before going to the muster drill to avoid crowding... how long should we wait?

Thanks!

On Imagination, the muster drill was a little boring, but no big deal, either. It even started a little later than scheduled. The presenter talked about what will happen and what to do if a real emergency takes place. He demonstrated how to use a lifevest by putting one on himself. Come to think of it, it wasn't radically different from those safety demonstrations on airplanes, that happen before take-off.

I hope you do a review with pics when you get back :)

I see several people recommend waiting a while before going to the muster drill to avoid crowding... how long should we wait?

Thanks!

I will let you know how the muster was on the Paradise when we return. I will try to do a "mini review" and definitely some pics.

Kim

I think I'll take the advice and WAIT!! We are always so excited to be cruising that we rush right on up there and before you know it we are 5 rows to the back,sweating miserably. It's amazing hw many people are/appear buzzed or drunk by the time the muster drill starts.

On the Liberty we stood on deck. I was not the least bit uncomfortable, and the drill didn't seem to take all that long. IMHO it is just one of those things you have to do, so why stress over it.:)

Oh, we stood for about 30 minutes.....I have to say, no stress. However, I wasn't in the middle of all the germs floating around. After experiencing seeing my dh get sick on day three and completely lost his voice (viral), I know that it came from all the sneezing and coughing. I had never seen so many people who had red congested noses and looked ill. THAT's the part I stress about. I could stand for hours on a cruise ship! :D If it weren't for close quarters w/germs.

It will be the "outside" routine where you stand around packed uncomfortably close to your fellow passengers for a half hour or so while a crew member says things that only about a third of the passengers will hear.

For me, the cruise doesn't really begin until that bit of unpleasantness is completed.

LOL! That's it exactly! :D :D :D

We generally wait until they actually announce that the drill has begun and that we should report to our muster stations. They will give several "lead-up" announcements ("In 10 minutes...." "In 5 minutes....") and a lot of people will go at that time. They're the ones who end up against the bulkhead.

We generally wait until they actually announce that the drill has begun and that we should report to our muster stations. They will give several "lead-up" announcements ("In 10 minutes...." "In 5 minutes....") and a lot of people will go at that time. They're the ones who end up against the bulkhead.

Soooo true, LOL:D

Archived