Wedding ring question for the ladies

dettlja

I buy a cheap fashion ring. For my cruise next month I found a nice sterling silver ring with a CZ diamond. On sale for $10.99 at Kohls. My wedding set is very nice and I feel so blessed to have it. Losing my ring on vacation would devastate me.

My husband thinks it's a waste of money b/c we know we are married. He feels that I should just leave the ring in the safe at home and don't worry about a replacement one during vacations. IDK, I just like wearing a ring I guess.:o We have been married for two years now.

That's why I have an insurance policy on the ring. If she loses it, or it gets stolen, It will be replaced. Well worth the $100 or so dollars a year I pay for the insurance.

We're lucky since we drive to the port - so no worries about airports and such to the cruise or home. But, I always wear my wedding set aboard the ship. For ports, I have a simple plain gold band that I wear (and for swimming too).

For me, I just feel weird without at least the plain wedding band on.

I have always worn mine except for my honeymoon where I left it in the safe in the cabin. I guess its personel preference, I have never felt uncomfotable in any port except for Limon Costa Rica where we had a teenage boy following and almost "stalking" us as we walked in port. We headed back to the ship.

Hello

This is not meant to frighten you by any means.....but, when I was in Europe in 2010 a woman reported to me that she was stopped on the street in Rome by someone wearing a Police Officer Uniform. He asked to see her ring for some reason .....and then he fled off. This young lady had 'just' received the engagement ring. I wear a beautiful 'diamond' from Walmart that cost $10. bucks. I would go the Walmart route to be safe if you feel that you want to wear something.

I guess I don't understand why some don't want to wear their original set. I have a very nice wedding set and a nice anniversary band. I also wear my Grandmothers very nice set. (two rings on my right hand) I have never had a problem. I always leave my jewelry in the safe when going in port. Since I feel "naked" without them they are the first things I grab out of the safe when we return to the ship. Been married 26 years and haven't ever replaced my set for a cheaper one when I travel. Never have had a problem.

You know I never really thought about it one way or another until reading this thread.

I always wear my wedding set and another beautiful floating diamond my husband bought me for an anniversary.

One thing I have that is truly irreplaceable I will now be leaving at home when we cruise. I've never taken it off since I got it but now I feel compelled to leave it home since I cannot bare the thought of losing it.

My only son passed away very suddenly, he had an arrhythmia that was never detected, he was only 34.

I had a beautiful teardrop cremation necklace made, so I can have him close to my heart all the time. It's 18 carat gold and the chain is also 18 caret and the sentimental value makes it irreplaceable.

Thanks for posting this thread, sometimes I just don't think that someone would actually rip your jewelry off, although I know it happens every day, it's not something that crossed my mind!!!

Carole

I never wear my wedding rings when travelling - this will be my first cruise but will be no different - will leave them home in my safe. Only jewelry Ill bring is a few pairs of not too expensive earrings.

I leave my engagement ring in the safe when I know I'm goign to be swimming/snorkling/active. It is probably because mine gets pretty lose and I'm scared of losing it. I usually put it in the safe for those occasions. I wear my engagement ring on the ship and I think I wore it in St Maartens when we went on our last cruise. I treat it like I do in the states though. I take my ring off when I work out/garden/work on the house at home too.

I never take my good jewelry with me cruising. It stays at home. I have collected "cruise jewelry" over the years and keep adding to my collection. During the days, I only wear earrings--don't like tan lines on my hands and wrists. In the evenings, I break out the crazy cocktail rings and earrings and bracelets purchased strictly for cruising. So much fun.

My wife has a nice collection of (expensive) jewerly and brings every piece with us when we travel. Her logic; why have it if I can't wear and enjoy it. Although she doesn't wear jewerly on shore or in any other place of a questionable nature. As far as wearing cheap stuff; bad people don't run around with a jeweler glass stuck in their eyes and won't know if you are wearing something "good" so you could be a target.

Those of you who are worried about your ring falling off your finger due to your finger changing size, have you ever thought of wearing them on a chain around your neck?

Granted, I'm a special case. I hate wearing rings and tried to wear my engagement ring. The fact that I took it off at night and every time I type resulted in it being lost in 4 months. Before people freak out, we intentionally bought a cheapest ring due to this propensity of mine. My wedding ring is a simple stainless steel band with a gold circle around it. It lives on a chain around my neck. I very rarely change jewelry, so it works for me.

My wife has a nice collection of (expensive) jewerly and brings every piece with us when we travel. Her logic; why have it if I can't wear and enjoy it. Although she doesn't wear jewerly on shore or in any other place of a questionable nature. As far as wearing cheap stuff; bad people don't run around with a jeweler glass stuck in their eyes and won't know if you are wearing something "good" so you could be a target.

Yes, you could still be a target. I think the thinking is that you wouldn't be losing something that has a lot of sentimental value.

So, my fiancee and I did a cruise in March, and my engagement ring is ridiculously blingy (he knows I like shiney things... haha) and I was wearing it without a thought, until we went snorkeling and it almost came off...

I immediately freaked out, attached it somewhere more secure (tied it to my drawstring like I do at work) and then put it in the safe for the rest of our water adventures. I will wear it around the ship, but not to port anymore.

Alternatively, we we were just shopping for our wedding bands, and he was talking about getting a secondary ring just for cruising etc. So, I might try that, but I still won't wear it if my hands are gonna get cold in water.

So every travel guide ever written advises not to wear "flashy" jewelry when traveling.

So, Im curious what you ladies do about your wedding rings when cruising and visiting less affluent ports of call.

Do you still wear your rings? Or do you just wear a simple band or in some other way "downsize" to avoid making yourself a target?

I am fortunate enough to have a very nice wedding set. I often question whether I should leave it at home and wear something less expensive when we travel, or wear no ring at all. But I hate not wearing my ring- guess Im still a newlywed (3 yrs) but Im proud to be married and I feel naked without my ring on.

Im curious to hear others take on this... please share.

Jaimee

I never wear jewelry of any type on shore excursions... I have a nightmare where I can't get my rings off quickly enough and the robber cuts off my fingers.... or pulls my earrings right out of my ear lobes. :eek:

Plus I never bring the real stuff, (not that I have that much anyway), but have a nice collection of flashy faux bling for dress up on the ship. I don't want to worry about valuables while I'm on vacay.

I recently got engaged and have been worrying about the same thing. I really love my ring and don't want to leave it at home, but I scared of losing it or having it stolen. I've been looking for a cheap look-a-like to take with me so I can still have a ring with me that resembles my actual ring, without worrying about losing it and keeping the real one safe at home.

This thread got me looking for one again and it looks like Overstock has a lot of rings, try there if you're going for the look-a-like route.

I leave my locked in the safe in our cabin when in ports of call. I don't think it's worth the risk of something happening while swimming, at the beach...or someone trying to take it! I only wear it on the ship in the evenings while cruising.

I'm not a flashy person and my rings are the only bling I wear. I NEVER take them off. If you think about it, they could get taken anywhere, even in your home town. It's just takes one scumbag. ...and I even live in the sticks. You just never know.

My husband is a pretty big guy, so I usually depend on the fact that no one would want to try anything crazy with him next to me. ;)

Take it from someone who lost their wedding rings while on vacation....leave them at home if they hold a lot of sentimental value to you. My husband has bought me much "nicer" jewelry to try and replace mine....but it just isn't the same. I get sick to my stomach a bit every time I think about it. :(

Linda

Archived