Family of 3, with 3 different last names

ericrz

Hi--

So we're taking a family cruise in Sept/Oct of this year, on the Carnival Legend out of Tampa. Basically repeating a cruise we all took together in March 2010, with one big difference!

My brother now has a fiancee and a 2-yr-old son (will be 3 by the cruise). Due to a complicated set of circumstances, my brother, his fiancee, and their son all have different last names.

All three of them will have passports by the cruise. Will they need any other documentation -- should they bring the child's birth certificate, just to avoid problems?

The PVP didn't care in the slightest when we booked (I was the one who booked, I gave him all three of their names and their relationship, and he entered it as-is.)

Just curious if anyone has had a situation like this.

If all three have passports, no birth certificates should be needed. If the father of the child is not your brother, I believe you need to get a letter from the father allowing the child to be taken out of the country.

I would bring the birth certificate JUST INCASE. Carnival can't possibly know you're telling the truth about being the parents.

If they are both not biological parents, you need a letter from the absent parent. If you are going to Mexico, it needs to be notarized.

For professional reasons, I did not take my DH's last name. Our DS's and he have the same last name and I still have my maiden name. On all of our cruises, I take each of our passports as well as each boys birth certificate to prove I am their mother and he is their father. We haven't had any problems at all.

We did initially on Disney, we checked in early at the hotel and the lady at the cruise desk asked about their mother. I informed her I am their mother, just because I didn't change my name doesn't mean anything. Once we finished checking in, we haven't had any other issues.

Thanks all for the quick replies. That is true, without the birth certificate, how would Carnival know they are both the child's biological parents? They wouldn't. So I'll suggest they bring it.

My family of five traveled last October. We are a blended family with three names. I'll change names for illustration.

DH is Jones

My stepson is Jones

My daughter is Smith

My son is Smith

I am Smith Jones (easier to use both names while the kids are still young).

DH traveled with a passport.

The three kids traveled with birth certificates.

I traveled with a birth certificate with my maiden name (not either of the names above) and a Driver's License with "Smith Jones."

No problems at all. Nobody even looked close enough to realize or care that we had different names.

My boyfriend, my son and I sailed on the Legend last year. We all have different last names. My son and I had passports. I also took his birth certificate (as I changed back to my maiden name when the divorce was final and his birth certificate has my maiden name on it). I also had a notarized letter from his father giving me permission to take him out of the country.

No one questioned anything. But, that's not saying they wouldn't, just that they didn't in my case.

Happy sailing!

My wife, step son and I have all different last names. We have been on 7 cruises together and we have always gotten a notarized letter from his father allowing us to take him out of the country. We also all have passports.

They have never asked for the letter, but I would not want to be without it if they decided to ask.

My wife, step son and I have all different last names. We have been on 7 cruises together and we have always gotten a notarized letter from his father allowing us to take him out of the country. We also all have passports.

They have never asked for the letter, but I would not want to be without it if they decided to ask.

Exactly - some people have been asked and on CC Ive seen a post where boarding was denied.

Can you imagine your ship leaving without you because you didn't carry one extra sheet of paper? :eek:

I have a different last name than my son and when we were getting back on the ship from a Canadian port, we were stopped and questioned. I didn't carry his passport on me and his father decided to sight see a bit more. I was very nervous and I told the officials that if I was going to kidnap a child, I wouldn't pick a teen.

Otherwise no problems.

Archived