What do you do if it rains the whole time?

redfish1955

On my first Alaska cruise I was actually looking forward to cold, rainy days. I had this fantasy of going ashore for a few hours, getting soaked to the bone, coming back to my cabin, taking a nice, long, hot shower, then relaxing in our robes until time to get ready for dinner.

Unfortunately it was sunny and warm every day of our cruise! But it was in May, not September.

Next cruise is in September. Maybe my fantasy will come true. And frankly, at that point, being from Phoenix, I will really love a cold rain! It will likely still be over 100 degrees every day in Phoenix. I will be looking forward to chilly, rainy days as much as northerners look forward to warmth and sun when they go on Caribbean cruises in February and March!

So, you may be surprised by the weather and it may not be as bad as you think it might be. And if it is, just approach it with the attitude that it is part of the adventure of Alaska! Have a hot shower and some hot cocoa and enjoy the rain!

Howdy! :)

I know you remember the gawd-awful summer we had last year. When I took my Alaska cruise in mid July I was praying I'd see rain because I couldn't remember what it looked like. Our first stop was Juneau and there was a steady downpour the whole day...I wanted to dance in the streets. ;) Rain or sun it won't matter...Alaska is breathtaking. Have a wonderful cruise to the Great Land!

We've had visitors from Texas go rafting/camping for a week with us. Their complaint wasn't the mosquitoes, or sleeping on rocks, or the daylight keeping them awake, or the (lack of) toilet facilities...it was the heat--which they had been hoping to escape by coming up here!

Originally from Oregon, we spent last summer in the middle of a 34,000 acre wild fire in Texas. If it rains during our September on the Century we will just enjoy it!. Besides, everyone knows Oregonians have webfeet.

Archived