Illness upon Disembarkation of Quest

Focused1

I am seeking the advice of you Seabourn veterans in a situation I recently experience on the Seabourn Quest, Venice to Athens-April 23 to May 4. Upon disembarkation, I became quite ill and was taken to the emergency room where I spent the day being diagnosed and treated for Salmonella food poisoning at a local Athens hospital. Of course, I am grateful for recovering but my spouse and I were unable to take a prepaid day tour of Athens (nonrefundable) and it impacted my ability to fly at the scheduled time, not to mention the anxiety and inconvenience of medical care in a foreign country (which actually was quite good). I reported the incident to Seabourn guest relations, indicating the diagnosis and impact and since I did not eat anywhere but on the ship, I deduced I contracted it from Seabourn food services between 12 to 24 hours before disembarkation. I received a guarded and somewhat canned response from Sydney Leonor, senior advisor in the Office of the President but no offer of any recompense for my malady. Do you think I am being unreasonable to expect anything else but a simple letter of guarded apology?

Thank you for any input from Seabourn veteran cruisers.

Unless there is evidence that a number of passengers got ill at about the same time, I see no reason that Seabourn should be responsible. I am sorry you missed your tour and had the other inconveniences; however, all of the out-of-pocket expenses you noted should be covered by a travel insurance policy.

Unless there is evidence that a number of passengers got ill at about the same time, I see no reason that Seabourn should be responsible. I am sorry you missed your tour and had the other inconveniences; however, all of the out-of-pocket expenses you noted should be covered by a travel insurance policy.

Sorry to hear you were ill. Not a pleasant way to end your trip. I don't agree with Italycruiser that you need evidence that a number of passengers became ill before Seabourn takes responsibility. How would you know, anyway, as Seabourn doesn't post these statistics, and why would they?? And, yes, we all know that travel insurance policies cover the expenses but that isn't the point. One or more passengers suffering from is one too many. Salmonella food poisoning can be quite serious especially to those with a compromised health condition so it is no trivial matter. I hope that Seabourn rethinks its response and, at the minimum, offers at least some future credit of sorts.

There are many causes of food poisoning and I would be surprised if you can establish a direct and specific link to the cruise line, in your case, as a means of establishng any culpability and concommitant redress. That's life- whether or not we like its twists and turns.

That said, I am pleased you recovered so quickly. I was laid low last month for

19 hours after something I ate the previous day. At least that is how I choose to look at the particulars. I did not find any co- sufferers. I will never know the whys and wherefores.

Archived