Communication with others on ship

Is there a way to communicate with others in our party while on board? I've done walkie talkies in the past but they don't seem to work too well. This last cruise I took we notice people using something similar to a cell phone. I seem to remember either reading something on here or while on the ship that you could rent radios. Is this true? How much and how do we go about getting them?

You may remember seeing people with cell phones given out by Camp Carnival to parents with young children, so they are reachable in an emergency-type situation. If someone in your party has one of these phones, they have the ability to call other phones on the ship and you may also call it from any phone on the ship. Other than this, I have never heard of renting radios or phones.

My wife and I brought a pair of Motorola 36-mile range walkie talkies on our last cruise. You will not get anywhere near the 36 mile range that they advertise due to all the interference from the materials the ship is made from, but we could hear and talk from/to most areas of the ship. It was a little difficult if one was forward on the top deck and the other aft and low in the ship, but otherwise we could hear ok. We liked them, since if I was at the pool with the kids and the wife was doing the art auction I could contact her to see when she was coming back. If we left the pool early she didn't have to scour the ship looking for us and we didn't have to keep returning to the stateroom to leave messages about where we were.

One problem with them (that can be easily fixed) is to set the security code on whatever frequency you are using. I forgot and the first time I tried to use them I was receiving transmissions from every kid on the ship who had one. That's what I get for setting my radios to frequecy 1. It was actually funny to listen to for a while, but I changed our radios to a different frequency and set the privacy code to something other than the first option, so our transmissions wouldn't likely be overheard. I never heard anyone else on our radios after that.

Some ships do rent radios but it's costly. If you have your own, take them. I can't stand to hear people yaking on them all the time, as bad as cell phones. I did find it funny to listen in to others the one time I did take them.

Even with them we decided it was easier to just meet up at various preset times. I'd tell the kids where I was going and they'd find me. Usually at the pool.

You may remember seeing people with cell phones given out by Camp Carnival to parents with young children, so they are reachable in an emergency-type situation. If someone in your party has one of these phones, they have the ability to call other phones on the ship and you may also call it from any phone on the ship. Other than this, I have never heard of renting radios or phones.

Thank you. So other than putting one of the kids in camp carnival we can't get them?

Archived