Pool Water - Salt or Fresh?

deckdrain

This is apparently a big thing with many Princess fans. Frankly, I'd as soon swim in that same salt water that I will encounter at the beach on many of the Caribbean islands we visit, and I much prefer salt water to the overly chlorinated fresh water that I find in many pools. To each his own and I would not be likely to make my cruise decision based on whether the pools were freshwater or salt, but it is fascinating to me to see how animated some can get over this topic.

I too would vote for fresh water. One question though - do they empty the pools after every cruise? I noticed that for the 1st three days over the week of 4/2 that the water on the Grand was very chilly (well ok cold). Proof of that was that even the kids were staying out of the water. The water temps did get a little warmer (as did the outside temps) as we headed south (obviously).

Just wondering?

I too would vote for fresh water. One question though - do they empty the pools after every cruise? I noticed that for the 1st three days over the week of 4/2 that the water on the Grand was very chilly (well ok cold). Proof of that was that even the kids were staying out of the water. The water temps did get a little warmer (as did the outside temps) as we headed south (obviously).

Not sure about every time they dock in home port but when we were on the Grand they emptied one of the pools for a cleaning at about 7:00pm and it was open by the next morning. They cleaned it due to some airborn contaminents during a 3 hour rainy spell.

It was not much of an issue. Just went to the show instead, then did the hot tub thing afterwards.:D

I would much rather have salt water in the pool than all the chlorine that we had in the pools on the Island Princess. It was bearable in the Lido pool, but I never used the (indoor) Lotus pool, because the entire "room" smelled so much of chlorine it made me physically sick. I guess no cruise line is perfect!

Archived