Lido Deck Waiter Loyalty

ajagent

I was wondering, we have a group of us that usually sail together and the first day on the ship we usually find a Lido Deck Waiter that we hit it off with. We usually stay loyal to him all week. We will make sure we find him and he takes care of us all week. This usually ends up with us giving him a huge tip at the end of the cruise. Do any of the rest of you do this?

Yes !...

Be sure to ask him/her where they will be serving during the "Free" cocktail parties.You will get great service.

To expand on this. I usually tip one of the omelette chefs first or second day. Same for the coffee barrista.

My Cruise friends always ask if I "Own the Ship" because I get served to order, usually by name, just by being there.

Yes, my dh and I always seem to befriend a bartender at one or two bars, one by the pool, one inside before dinner and stay with them throughout the week. We tip extra and always receive the best service, many times they don't charge us for one of our drinks or give dh an extra shot, he usually order a shot of tequila and a beer, they don't charge for the shot sometimes every other time we see them. We also like the relationship we develop, we get to know them pretty well, it's nice.

T

Yes. My husband has 6 1/2 years sobriety, but we will still tip extra up front to our bartender. We walk up to the bar on the Lido deck and order our drinks directly. I drink alcohol on vacation, and I don't know if I get "more" booze than the next guy. Not an issue with me. Our opinion is that these guys/gals work hard. So, bartender, room steward, etc always get extra tips. Just our opinion.:)

Yes, I have done this and like to do this whenever possible - especially on Serenity deck. Last cruise we had a port every day so it didn't work out. But on one of the cruises, had the best waiter on Serenity, tipped extra (the auto tip is only 15%), and was called by name, had "extras" in my bloody mary - it was delicious! Plus, never had to go searching for him - he always seemed to know when I needed a drink. He even found me in another part of the ship. He was the best, wish I could remember his name!:)

so when your tipping extra is that a buck on top of the auto per drink and is it in cash or on the SS?

That extra $1(in cash) goes along way .I dont think you can (never tried) to add to my bill

so when your tipping extra is that a buck on top of the auto per drink and is it in cash or on the SS?

Yes, we tip extra on top of the "auto per drink" for every drink. I guess it's a habit of what we do at home. It'll be on our SS card.

Do I look for that "special" waiter?? No, But for the most part it just works out that way.

The benefit? It is nice to be able to walk into bar, or up on deck and just give a nod to the waiter from across deck/room and have my drink several moments later without having to show my card. Cuts out some of the small talk, giving order and fumbling for the card.

I was wondering, we have a group of us that usually sail together and the first day on the ship we usually find a Lido Deck Waiter that we hit it off with. We usually stay loyal to him all week. We will make sure we find him and he takes care of us all week. This usually ends up with us giving him a huge tip at the end of the cruise. Do any of the rest of you do this?

We are the same way not only with our lido waiter but also with the bar ;)

Once we find one we really hit it off with we normally will tip them something early in the cruise and then we make sure to visit them again at the end to thank them again with another tip!

I was a server while in college and I understand how important tips are and how hard of work it is to always be on top of your game so we like to be loyal to those whom are good to us :D

Yes we do. We usually wind up with one or two that we 'stick with' for the entire cruise. :)

I was a service bartender for years and can tell you servers do not split with the bartender.Basically you are at their mercy to give you what they want.I know servers who have never had a good night and always let you know around tip out time how bad of a night they had.

As far a strong drinks why would a bartender "hook up" a server for them to be able to make more money.If my guest came to me and over tipped me I would make it happen but not for someone elses gain.

Well its always worked for me so i'll take that chance. Plus after 30 years of servicing restaurants in NJ i know alot who split there tips with bar staff!

Well its always worked for me so i'll take that chance. Plus after 30 years of servicing restaurants in NJ i know alot who split there tips with bar staff!

being a bartender for 20 years in NJ I have never heard of anywhere or state that the food servers/drink servers who split tips with the bartenders unless they all pool tips and get the same amount at the end of the day/week

Split tips or pool tips .very different

I usually try not to post things, but I can't resist. Between the comments on this thread and all the discussions on tipping, some of you make it sound like your purpose in life is to go on a cruise, not for your enjoyment, but so that you can give extra tips to the workers !!! Seriously people, those guys and gals are great workers and provide excellent service but that doesn't make them my best friend !! I tip well, on land and see, but I don't go around telling everyone that I do so. Remember the old maxim: don't let your right hand know what the left is doing !!

We've done this for years. You get much better service just a wave or nod will get another round. Also you don't have to pull out the sail&sign card 'cus the waiter knows it already.

Archived