Toulon - Avignon - Arles - Aix-en-Provence - Toulon

Jade13

We are docking in Toulon in December.

I am interested in Avignon, Arles, and Aix-en-Provence. Is this doable with a private driver? It looks like it is 2 hours from Toulon to Avignon, but of course would stop along the way. I am interested in the Papal Palace in Avignon, Roman Ruins in Arles, and Cezzanne studio in Aix en Provence.

Thanks.

If you dock away from the city and the ship offers a long, and fairly expensive bus ride to the city -- decline and take the ferry. When we visited in April 2012 we got off the ship, walked a half mile to the ferry stop -- near the red building -- purchased and all day ferry and bus pass for 4 euros, and were on our way for the day.

If you dock away from the city and the ship offers a long, and fairly expensive bus ride to the city -- decline and take the ferry. When we visited in April 2012 we got off the ship, walked a half mile to the ferry stop -- near the red building -- purchased and all day ferry and bus pass for 4 euros, and were on our way for the day.

Good to know, thanks Frutti! We're hoping the weather is nice so the walk is no big deal. :D

We are still looking for a guide. Catherine, Delphine, and Alain (Dream Tours) are already books for our date (Actually Alain said we are too far from their base).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a driver/guide?

• 10 months later...
We are docking in Toulon in December.

I am interested in Avignon, Arles, and Aix-en-Provence. Is this doable with a private driver? It looks like it is 2 hours from Toulon to Avignon, but of course would stop along the way. I am interested in the Papal Palace in Avignon, Roman Ruins in Arles, and Cezzanne studio in Aix en Provence.

Thanks.

It would take you about 4:15 - 4:30 (longer if the traffic is bad in any of the cities) of just driving to cover all those places. You also need to think about being back in the vicinity of the port more then an hour early to protect yourself against possible traffic jams, accidents, etc. So if you try doing the math you will see that your day would not leave you much time to enjoy much other then the long drive. Having spent a lot of time in this region (we have taken several extended vacations in Provence) we suggest you consider paring down your list. Sometimes folks find that less is more :) Provence is a very large and fascinating region that begs a multi-week visit....not trying to do it all in a single port day.

Hank

It would take you about 4:15 - 4:30 (longer if the traffic is bad in any of the cities) of just driving to cover all those places. You also need to think about being back in the vicinity of the port more then an hour early to protect yourself against possible traffic jams, accidents, etc. So if you try doing the math you will see that your day would not leave you much time to enjoy much other then the long drive. Having spent a lot of time in this region (we have taken several extended vacations in Provence) we suggest you consider paring down your list. Sometimes folks find that less is more :) Provence is a very large and fascinating region that begs a multi-week visit....not trying to do it all in a single port day.

Hank

Besides seeing Toulon what would be the next best thing.. Nimes, Nice or Avignon? It is even possible without rushing??

Besides seeing Toulon what would be the next best thing.. Nimes, Nice or Avignon? It is even possible without rushing??

All of the above :). But seriously, there is just so much to see in Provence and most folks have their own priorities. Toulon would be low on my list and Nice makes little sense from Toulon. Personally, we are somewhat outspoken against Toulon as a cruise port because its location is simply not as good as Marseille. The bottom line is that by using Toulon the cruise line takes away about an hour from your port day when compared to the better location of Marseille because of the extra road time.

You might want to carefully weigh the places of Aix en Provence, Arles and Avignon vs the driving time. Aix is certainly the closest and most other popular places will involve about 1 1/2 hours (each way) on the road. If there is a decent tour that includes Avignon, Les Baux and perhaps Aix en Provence...that would be a good itinerary (although a bit overwhelming) for a busy day. But when you start doing multiple things it is always going to involve some rushing. For a relaxing day one could probably make a case to simply go to Aix en Provence and then spend some afternoon time near the port.

We first fell in love with Provence as the result of a port call at Marseille. It was the factor that made us return for several driving vacations (the best way to see Provence) and even after weeks in the region we have never dented all of its charms.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Did you ever do this? I'm interested in the same arriving in May... we're in port from 9-5 and i'd love to see the Le Pont D'Avignon! Was there time, and how to get there?

Surprise..this is definitely possible if you are willing to pop for a taxi on each end. Both cities are served by the TGV..the high speed rail. If you are lucky you might be able to do this efficiently.

I live east of Avignon, so it is home territory.

This will cost about 64. EU pp RT. for the train purchased early on line at voyages-sncf.com (in French)

1039a Toulon to Avignon arv 12 11p

Take taxi from Avignon TGV to Pont d'Avignon 5/10 min.

Take taxi back to Avignon TGv

2 41p. Avignon TGV to Toulon arv. about 415p

Caveat..I don t know where the Toulon TGV station is located, as they are usually outside of town and not at the regular Gare.

This makes a shore excursion, or hiring a van look inexpensive, doesn't it?

Avongno

Archived