All paid!!!!

rle1982

So, I just made our last layment on our cruise in December. I am so glad to have it paid off, now anything we can save is all fun money.

Question to some more experienced cruisers, I was thinking about buying the drink tickets, because they save you just a little money, but I am leaning more towards buying a bunch of fun ship dollars and jsut having like pre paid OBC?

Any thoughts on either of these options?

I would like to have as much pre paid as possible before the cruise. Like I said we are paid up on the cruise, and I prepaid tips....any tips that anyone has as far as pre-paying thins go would be great. Thanks!!

I'm of the mindset of why give Carnival your money to hold until December? I have a separate savings account that is for vacations only. We book a year ahead.. I divide the cruise/tip/travel expenses by 52 weeks, per person, per paydays and know that I must put X amount of money per paycheck into that account no matter what. After final payment I continue to put the same amount into the bank and that will be our spending money. I suppose if someone wasn't as dedicated (dare I say OCD) about it like I am ;) might not have the self-control to not use it.. but for me it works.. and works well. I read about many people buying Funship dollars every payday.. they're giving Carnival their money to hold for them. I say just hold onto your own money until your vacation is here, but I'm sure many others will have the opposite opinion. Maybe doing it that way also adds to the excitement of the cruise planning.. I get it. But the rational part of me says just set the money aside on your own. :)

Well, I am not experienced since I will be taking my first cruise in less than 2 weeks, but I did purchase drinks coupons, but not for saving a lot of money, although they do save a little. For me, it was about budgeting, so I would not have a huge S&S bill at the end. After I bought a few, I then found out about the OBC you could get by purchasing FSD. I was able to purchase some along before the cruise to build up a credit. I just used the online checkout, and put in APPLY AS OBC and then the booking number in the address field, and within a few hours, when I checked my cruise docs, there was the credit...

After I bought a few, I then found out about the OBC you could get by purchasing FSD.

Do you get additional OBC by purchasing FSD? Or is it just your FSD converted straight into OBC? For example, if you buy $25 FSD is it essentially just $25 OBC, or do you get an incentive as it sounds like above? :confused: If so, then I'm gonna buy some FSD to earn extra OBC when my cruise is paid in full as well!!

Thanks for any clarification!

I'm of the mindset of why give Carnival your money to hold until December? :)

The difference it would make to give Carnial the money, or keep it in the bank is not that significant.

However, for me, it depends on the exchange rate. US dollar vs. CDN dollar. If the Canadian dollar is higher (sometimes this happens) or is very close to the US dollar, I will pay off the cruise. This could be a significant saving.

Happy Cruising!!!!

Those who can't understand why anyone would give someone else their money early probably don't get the same peace of mind we do when we know something is paid off come what may. Congrats on having your cruise paid off. I know that is a good feeling.

So, I just made our last layment on our cruise in December. I am so glad to have it paid off, now anything we can save is all fun money.

Question to some more experienced cruisers, I was thinking about buying the drink tickets, because they save you just a little money, but I am leaning more towards buying a bunch of fun ship dollars and jsut having like pre paid OBC?

Any thoughts on either of these options?

I would like to have as much pre paid as possible before the cruise. Like I said we are paid up on the cruise, and I prepaid tips....any tips that anyone has as far as pre-paying thins go would be great. Thanks!!

I have done both. It is a couple of things out of the way that I dont have to woory about. And if I don't spend all of the Fun Ship Dollars, I get them back. Had a 7.00 refund last cruise.

Do you get additional OBC by purchasing FSD? Or is it just your FSD converted straight into OBC? For example, if you buy $25 FSD is it essentially just $25 OBC, or do you get an incentive as it sounds like above? :confused: If so, then I'm gonna buy some FSD to earn extra OBC when my cruise is paid in full as well!!

Thanks for any clarification!

Yes, it is dollar for dollar, and at then end of the cruise, if you have any credit left, they cut you a check to take with you, or you can cash it at guest services..

It is such a wonderful feeling having the cruise paid in full. I always make sure that the tips are prepaid, so I don't get hit for that. I do understand that drink coupons takes the weight off having to preplan your drink budget. I have read recently that the bars really didn't like taking them. I have no idea why, since they tear them off, and then get paid the tips regardless. I also like the idea of having OBC, if you decide to add an excursion at the last minute you aren't trying to scrounge up the cash, if you want to buy a few photos you can plan that into the budget too. Our next cruise we are seriously cruising on the cheap. Having had the tips prepaid no ship excursions(independent wandering) we are trying to do the week on 150.00 for the two of us. We don't drink.:)

We don't drink that much anymore. I used to drink like a champ when I was younger, but not so much now. (I'm only 29...but I seem to have grown out of it already)...however I don't want to feel restrcited. If I want to drink/gamble/shop onboard....so i plan on building up some OBC for that so that it is prepaid. If I can have everything prepaid I would be super pumped. We have not decided what if any actual shore excursions we are going to do but I guess I should start looking at that....

Archived