Another Liquor Question

WEGRIMES

I've read alot of postings about people "smuggling in" liquor. The do's and the don'ts. But I saw that you can purchase liquor as a "gift" and have it sent to your stateroom. This is on Princess. So...I called and asked some questions. I was told that there is a duty free store on board and you can order liquor and have your steward bring it to your room. They told me it's allowed if you drink it in the stateroom. Now, I priced the same size/type of liquor locally and it was actually cheaper on ship from this store. My question is....is this true or should I call Princess again and ask someone else the same question? :confused: Someone tell me the truth please...the trips getting expensive and I'd like to do the best economically to enjoy a couple drinks on our balcony.

Any liquour you purchase in the Duty Free shops on board will not be delivered to your cabin until the night before disembarkation. While it is a great buy, you won't be able to use it on board. You can also either pre-order liquor from Princess or just buy it from room service once you get on board (this is what we did and it was delivered in about 15 minutes). It is more expensive than duty free (I recall that a litre of Absolute was about $23 from room service vs. $12 from Duty Free). Although even at $23 it was a bargain compared to what we pay here in Washington State, which I think is around $32.

you buy it from the gift store or bar (not the duty free store) and it cost about the same as a liquor store.

I was quoted $22. for a liter of absolute vodka. comparable to what you'd pay at the grocery store at home.

Possibly the most common reason for 'smuggling' liquor onboard isn't price related. It's because the ships stock only certain brands. If you're a drinker who prefers say - Carioca Rum - to the more common Bacardi or Lambs, it won't be available.

Ya smuggles yer bottle - ya takes yer chances...

:cool: Starbuck

OK..That must be what they are talking about. Not duty free but regular purchase, which is still cheaper than at home and I won't have to lug it across the country! Thanks for the clarification.

Archived