Designer jeans - the new cocktail dress

Gee, it's fun being the only MALE poster on the cruise fashion pages! :p

I was at the GAP last week getting something for Mother's Day for my wife and saw those white jeans you mentioned. The sales lady was wearing them and they were on display. I thought they looked pretty good.

For the women yes....men NO.

Hope the high waists don't come back in style. I luv LOW LOW LOW! :)

BobK/Orlando

SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!

No I don't actually think I will be "slumming" but the point I was trying to make is I won't be going to Paris for 5 star restuarants and shows-that I would be doing more of the middle class tourist things. I do not have the kind of money Jane and Cavier gal has- I am more of a grits gal-but for just a middle class gal I think I have done okay.

Momofmeg,

As I said in my last post, when I go to Paris, I don't go to the 5 star restaurants. I've been to a few when the dollar was stronger, but even then, perhaps only one per trip. Most nights I'm in a french bistro or a vietnamese or moroccean place and spend less on dinner than we do here in NYC. I think I wish I had the kind of money you think I have! LOL!

I eat grits in the US and in Paris, eat couscous - middle eastern grits! Love 'em! :)

But not going to the 5 star places is by no means "slumming". I'm excited for you that you'll be going to one of my favorite cities. You're going to love it! My close friend is visiting there right now - she brought her 14 month old to see our other good friend, (her Parisian "auntie"). I'm getting emails from them daily. With all this Paris talk, I'm itching to go again!

Jane

So what is so special about these? I am always trying to find jeans that fit my butt - because I have NO a$$, and I'm willing to spend the money on jeans that flatter what little tush I have. :o I've never heard of them - where do you find them?

There is something about the cut, pocket placement, and rear pocket design that is very flattering.

PDC-WJ69_V1.jpg

PDC-WJ69_V6.jpg

Bluefly.com carries the line. The only downside to the jeans is that they are 100% cotton (I love a little Lycra in my jeans) and they aren't cheap.

One of my favorite things about them is that they stretch to fit your body. I don't know how they accomplish that but they do.

http://bluefly.com/pages/browse/list.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=7541737

Momofmeg,

As I said in my last post, when I go to Paris, I don't go to the 5 star restaurants. I've been to a few when the dollar was stronger, but even then, perhaps only one per trip. Most nights I'm in a french bistro or a vietnamese or moroccean place and spend less on dinner than we do here in NYC. I think I wish I had the kind of money you think I have! LOL!

I eat grits in the US and in Paris, eat couscous - middle eastern grits! Love 'em! :)

But not going to the 5 star places is by no means "slumming". I'm excited for you that you'll be going to one of my favorite cities. You're going to love it! My close friend is visiting there right now - she brought her 14 month old to see our other good friend, (her Parisian "auntie"). I'm getting emails from them daily. With all this Paris talk, I'm itching to go again!

Jane

Jane I did not mean to offend you. Nothing wrong with having money or enjoying it if you do have money. Heck only about 10 or 15 years ago we would have never dreamed we could afford to cruise once a year and take really nice vacations every few years. So I am happy to have SOME money now. I hope I did not sound resentful to you or anything. (maybe I am a little jealous)

Actually it was Cavier gal who was saying all that stuff about the expensive restuarants, operas, and shows etc.- not you. It was to her I was talking about being a "grits gal" and to be honest I DO NOT eat grits- because of my diabetes-there are other carbs I like much better and I have to limit myself in that area. And I hate seafood so I do not want cavier either-no way. That was my way of saying I would not be doing that sort of vacation.

We went to London several years ago and that was a SUPER expensive vacation for us -as London is really expensive even compared to the rest of England and ofcourse the dollar is worth very little there. It cost between $10 to $15 a person even at Mac Donalds and I won't tell you what we paid for grubby little meals in pubs. I found too that English food is not seasoned as much as American food and it was very bland and I HATED it-so it really irked me the $$$s we spent on was to my palate- horrible food. the only meal I enjoyed was the one night we went to the Hard Rock cafe which ofcouse had American food. I did love their Cadbury's chocolate though-this was BEFORE my diabetes had gotten to the point it has-I could "fudge" a little back then.

The point of all this is after we came back a friend of mine told me I should have went to the immigrant section of London, she said that is what she and her hubby had done when they were in London and they had had Indian, chinese, etc. all authenic and she said also- really CHEAP.

So if you have any pointers for Paris please let me know-I would appreciate it.

By the way I may be a grits gal but I am also a Jane too. So I guess it is a good thing I call my self Mom of Meg, huh? We do not need 2 Jane's that post as much as we do- do we?

Just shows you that what a you are used to is what you revert too. I was born in the UK but have lived in the US for many years. I think nothing of dropping big bucks to import food from the UK butchers located in Florida. I love the sausages, the clotted cream, Cadburys Milk Flakes and a host of other things too numerous to mention. Last time I was home the big favorite seemed to be Indian food which is not my cup of tea but you could dine at a different ethnic restaurant every day of the week. As for me all I wanted was good old fish and chips even though it is not good for my waistline.

As for designer jeans, I think they can look very snazzy. I can see why the teenagers are so enthralled with them and do not mind shelling out big bucks. But, in my opinion they do not cut the mustard in the elegant dining room of a cruise ship.

Actually it was Cavier gal who was saying all that stuff about the expensive restuarants, operas, and shows etc.- not you. It was to her I was talking about being a "grits gal" and to be honest I DO NOT eat grits- because of my diabetes-there are other carbs I like much better and I have to limit myself in that area. And I hate seafood so I do not want cavier either-no way. That was my way of saying I would not be doing that sort of vacation.

?

Not sure what you interpreted in my post. I am fortunate to have visited Europe often and I love it! Normally, I use FF miles for my tickets or shop to find the best deal. I stay in 3 star hotels that run about 100 E a night or less. I often use Priceline if it s city I do not know well - Paris and London - come to mind.

My next trip is planned for the fall. I am staying at an inn for 68 Euro a night.

My most frequent haunt is Florence, which is also my favoirte city in the world. On my last 10 day trip there a few months ago, I did as I always do. I dine in the same family owned trattoria every evening. They have marvelous food and great prices.

I have never been to the opera there and hope to go sometime.

I am not sure where you got the impression that I am rich or that I spend big bucks. I would rather go three times in my style than once in a style that is not worth it to me.

And, for the record, I eat grits, as long as they do not have butter in them!

Jane I did not mean to offend you. Nothing wrong with having money or enjoying it if you do have money. Heck only about 10 or 15 years ago we would have never dreamed we could afford to cruise once a year and take really nice vacations every few years. So I am happy to have SOME money now. I hope I did not sound resentful to you or anything. (maybe I am a little jealous)

We went to London several years ago and that was a SUPER expensive vacation for us -as London is really expensive even compared to the rest of England and ofcourse the dollar is worth very little there. It cost between $10 to $15 a person even at Mac Donalds and I won't tell you what we paid for grubby little meals in pubs. I found too that English food is not seasoned as much as American food and it was very bland and I HATED it-so it really irked me the $$$s we spent on was to my palate- horrible food. the only meal I enjoyed was the one night we went to the Hard Rock cafe which ofcouse had American food. I did love their Cadbury's chocolate though-this was BEFORE my diabetes had gotten to the point it has-I could "fudge" a little back then.

The point of all this is after we came back a friend of mine told me I should have went to the immigrant section of London, she said that is what she and her hubby had done when they were in London and they had had Indian, chinese, etc. all authenic and she said also- really CHEAP.

So if you have any pointers for Paris please let me know-I would appreciate it.

By the way I may be a grits gal but I am also a Jane too. So I guess it is a good thing I call my self Mom of Meg, huh? We do not need 2 Jane's that post as much as we do- do we?

MomofMeg/Jane,

Nope, didn't take your post with any offense at all. And trust me, there's nothing to be jealous of. We just spend money differently. I'm the queen of getting 5 star at 3 star prices! :)

I was in London over Thanksgiving and it was frighteningly expensive. An indian dinner for 2 in a very ordinary place (no alcohol, no dessert) was $90. One afternoon, we had two tuna sandwiches and two coffee's in a very basic deli/cafe and it was $36.!

After I left, my husband stayed there for business. When I got his charges on his Visa bill, I saw that his Starbucks Cappuccinio's were $8.00 each!!!

And though the food in London has gotten a lot better, it's still not stellar and it's very expensive. We were lucky that our hotel rate not only included breakfast, but also served champagne and snacks every evening! :-)

I think having caviar in London would have cost me a mortgage payment!!!

Paris is a lot less expensive and the food is alot better. I go to Paris about twice a year and would be very happy to help you with tips. It would probably be better for you to either email me or start a new thread rather than create even more thread drift in this Designer Jeans thread!

I don't have a daughter named Meg, but have a cat named Molly. LOL!

Jane

LOL, so we should all wear jeans because men like them, LOL...I don't think so. I stopped dressing for men MANY years ago.....waste of time, and money. Yeah, like we don't look hot in anything else......:rolleyes:

Hey, that's your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but it's a predictable male response.....

I don't mind dressing for my man, I know he likes it. I'm 50yrs old and don't look my age. I can tell that your a very strong women, with the OPINIONS you give.

To look good you have to spend money, it's not a waste of time.

There is something about the cut, pocket placement, and rear pocket design that is very flattering.

Thanks BlueHerons - now that I see them - they are definitely too lowcut for me! Thank goodness - I'd hate to be tempted to spend that much money!!:D

Frankly, my Tommy Hilfiger Boyfriend jeans, and stretch CKs, have gotten me plenty of compliments, and that is saying something when you have as small a tush as I do! Guess I'l stick with them. :)

Thanks BlueHerons - now that I see them - they are definitely too lowcut for me! Thank goodness - I'd hate to be tempted to spend that much money!!:D

Frankly, my Tommy Hilfiger Boyfriend jeans, and stretch CKs, have gotten me plenty of compliments, and that is saying something when you have as small a tush as I do! Guess I'l stick with them. :)

My problem too-my butt is just not big enough for these low rise jeans and slacks. I feel like they are falling off and am constantly adjusting them when they slide down-after donating a couple of pair to the thrift store I will not make that mistake of buying that style again.

Not that I want to keep this jeans vs no jeans debate going forever but I have a question...

First, let me state that I am of the no-jeans-in-the-dining-rooms camp. I dress to the hilt and enjoy every minute of it. On our cruise this year, one little girl pointed to me and said to her mom, "look mommy!, a beautiful princess!". Made me feel like a million bucks! (I'm a size 14-16 and was wearing a lavender lace ball gown). I doubt I would have gotten such a reaction if I was wearing jeans with a nice top and heels!

Now for my question. I agree that designer jeans are still jeans, maybe sometimes with a nicer cut or shape but still jeans none the less. Just wondering about those fabulous embroidered Cavelli jeans where you can hardly see the denim for all the glitz. Would these be acceptable for the dining room? They look more like jeweled pants than jeans. Just wondering... don't have any myself and not planning on spending a mortgage payment on jeans right now but I don't think I'd mind seeing someone wearing them all done up with heels, an evening top and hair and make-up done up right.

Any thoughts?

My opinion is some people can wear a paper bag and look fabulous!! I have seen women in jeans and a tee shirt that outshine another woman in a formal gown. Attitude is everything - it you feel good and think you look good - most likely you do!!! While I would not wear jeans to the dining room on formal night I most certainly do on a casual night with strappy sandles and a great top and I look Great, and feel great. :eek:

Archived