Southampton grocery near Novotel West Quay

In May/June 2011 we were in Southampton to pick up our TA cruise back to the States. We stayed at the Novotel West Quay.

We found a grocery store that was at the top of a parking garage (thought this was highly unusual) and within walking distance of our hotel. I thought it was an Asda. When I google Asda though, I am finding an Asda nearby but this store (has a pix) is clearly at the street level.

Does anyone know what the name of this grocery is? Did the Asda perhaps relocate or is my memory on the fritz?

Thanks,

Dru

Your memory is fine.:D

Basically Asda has a multi storey car park under it. The front of Asda is on the main street which is the picture you saw. You will have entered from the Novotel via the car park and not the main street. :)

In May/June 2011 we were in Southampton to pick up our TA cruise back to the States. We stayed at the Novotel West Quay.

We found a grocery store that was at the top of a parking garage (thought this was highly unusual) and within walking distance of our hotel. I thought it was an Asda. When I google Asda though, I am finding an Asda nearby but this store (has a pix) is clearly at the street level.

Does anyone know what the name of this grocery is? Did the Asda perhaps relocate or is my memory on the fritz?

Thanks,

Dru

Hi Dru,

I was just about to post this question and then thought how strange that it was about our hotel until I saw who the poster was. Mystery solved.

Judy

Thanks,

Dru

As Mrs TW's post, it's one & the same.

Its not actually on top of a carpark, but you use the carpark lift (elevator) to access a skywalk over the road & enter the rear of the store. The store is built into the side of a hill, hence the high level at the rear is the ground floor at the front.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Portland+Street,+Southampton&hl=en&ll=50.906254,-1.408837&spn=0.004357,0.019934&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.49359,40.825195&oq=Portland+place+southampton&hnear=Portland+St,+Southampton,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.906254,-1.408837&panoid=TVTKAL4SCsjvM2VfVALqjQ&cbp=11,135,,0,0

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Portland+Street,+Southampton&hl=en&ll=50.905469,-1.406379&spn=0.004357,0.019934&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.49359,40.825195&oq=Portland+place+southampton&hnear=Portland+St,+Southampton,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.905472,-1.406372&panoid=fkm9e9vrMvp4J75subDs_w&cbp=11,315,,0,0

JB :)

I noticed on Google maps that Tesco is closer to the Novotel. Does Tesco sell wine?

Thanks, Judy

Tesco's regular grocery stores compete directly with ASDA, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Waitrose & other grocery chains.

But the Tesco at West Quay retail park isn't a grocery store - its a Tesco "Homeplus", and sells a broad range of non-food items - furnishings, electrical appliances & such. I'm pretty sure it doesn't sell wine.

There are several neighbourhood Tesco Express stores (mini versions of the grocery stores) in Southampton, including a couple in the centre, but their range of wines is pretty small. The major Tescos are on the city outskirts.

There are a couple of wine merchants in Bedford Place, about a 10 - 15 minute walk, but most cruisers will be happy enough with the selection at ASDA or at Marks & Spencer in the indoor West Quay Mall.

BTW, wine isn't cheap in the UK, due to tax - expect to pay £4+ per 70cl bottle. But of course its a lot cheaper than cruise ships.

Friends who regularly cruise Celebrity out of Southampton take boxed wine (3 litres) rather than 2 bottles, & haven't had a problem. And there are some pretty decent wines in boxes - expect to pay around £17 for a 3 ltr box of very drinkable JP Chenet syrah (shiraz) or merlot - though it's under £10 in France.

Tesco's regular grocery stores compete directly with ASDA, Sainsbury, Morrisons, Waitrose & other grocery chains.

But the Tesco at West Quay retail park isn't a grocery store - its a Tesco "Homeplus", and sells a broad range of non-food items - furnishings, electrical appliances & such. I'm pretty sure it doesn't sell wine.

There are several neighbourhood Tesco Express stores (mini versions of the grocery stores) in Southampton, including a couple in the centre, but their range of wines is pretty small. The major Tescos are on the city outskirts.

There are a couple of wine merchants in Bedford Place, about a 10 - 15 minute walk, but most cruisers will be happy enough with the selection at ASDA or at Marks & Spencer in the indoor West Quay Mall.

BTW, wine isn't cheap in the UK, due to tax - expect to pay £4+ per 70cl bottle. But of course its a lot cheaper than cruise ships.

Friends who regularly cruise Celebrity out of Southampton take boxed wine (3 litres) rather than 2 bottles, & haven't had a problem. And there are some pretty decent wines in boxes - expect to pay around £17 for a 3 ltr box of very drinkable JP Chenet syrah (shiraz) or merlot - though it's under £10 in France.

Thanks John,

As usual you are a fountain of knowledge for us cruisers from North America.

Judy

Archived