TIpping

Yeah, thats the concept for my hidden camera tv show to air on the Lido deck big-screen. Pitched the idea to George Lopez now that he is the big honcho in the comedy/entertainment dept. Edit the funniest moments from the tip-stiffers lines the last day and pair 'em up with cruise footage of the offenders chair-hogging, cutting in line at the buffets, ordering 3 entrees in the MDR and the kill-shot of their smuggled booze and mixers littering their cabin upon debarkation. It won't be hard to find the stars each week as they're special and oblivious to the bounds of decency.

great idea!

If you take the tips off the first day or asap the pax has received no service as of yet therefore there is nothing for the management to take a closer look at.

This is the way I do it.

I believe (my opinion, I am entitled to have ) even if the staff is informed I took the tips off it can only encourage him/her/them/ to do their jobs well to ensure a nice gratuity at the end of the service, as it is supposed to be.

If you take the tips off the last night what service are you yet to receive?

Why would they hurry up in the middle of the night to print out a list for the servers and stewards and show folk to wave at the departing pax?

If such a list exists, and I believe it is stored with Santa's list, it would only make sense to have been issued after the cruise when tips are dispersed.

The cheapskates you guys are referring to are long gone by then.

So you think the only way they will do their jobs is if you pull tips? I have to say, I have never taken the tips off and have always received excellent service. therefore I disagree.

Mamaskittles, I was only offering you a possible explanation to your quandary.. Like I said, completely irrelevant to me because we chose to follow the system that doesn't leave out any crew members that are counting on being included (right or wrong, it is what it is and it's not their fault) AND saves us having to track down everyone the last day, but to each his own. I personally have much better things to do with my time than to make sure someone who didn't DIRECTLY serve me doesn't see one thin dime of my money. My butt cheeks also do not squeak as I walk away and I work hard at suppressing the "control freak" character flaw that some of us possess:D

However, I can't think of too many reasons why the STEWARDS would know who has removed the auto tips on a current sailing, but certainly nothing that is said here is touted as gospel by me unless someone can produce a valid source. (I'm not even certain the stewards DO know, nor do I care, just another rumor..)

H82, I never said there was a minimum, I said the recommended amount of auto tips, which is just another word for suggested.

excellent point

I didnt read this whole thread but for the most part I agree with mamaskittles. IMO, anyone that prepays tips is a fool. Now, granted prepaying tips and then adjusting them at the end is pretty much the same thing as not prepaying. However, I like to have that $200+ in my bank account for several months and paying when services are rendered. Why anyone would tip in advance without receiving the service IMO is retarded. I fully INTEND to tip the full amount and possibly more, I just wont do it in advance. The staff needs to earn it.

Wow. No need for offensive remarks. I'm sure any intelligent person can get their point across without using a slur used to degrade mentally handicapped people.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

If you take the tips off the first day or asap the pax has received no service as of yet therefore there is nothing for the management to take a closer look at.

This is the way I do it.

I believe (my opinion, I am entitled to have ) even if the staff is informed I took the tips off it can only encourage him/her/them/ to do their jobs well to ensure a nice gratuity at the end of the service, as it is supposed to be.

If you take the tips off the last night what service are you yet to receive?

Why would they hurry up in the middle of the night to print out a list for the servers and stewards and show folk to wave at the departing pax?

If such a list exists, and I believe it is stored with Santa's list, it would only make sense to have been issued after the cruise when tips are dispersed.

The cheapskates you guys are referring to are long gone by then.

I think you are looking for reasons to not tip what the cruise line suggests. It appears, to me, that you take your tips off and then decide who deserves them and that might, and I say might, be your cabin steward, waiter, if you dine in the dining room, assistant waiter if you dine there, and that's about it. It doesn't matter that your assistant waiter might be in the buffet and bussing your table or bringing you coffee etc.

I don't agree with the new tip policy of tipping the behind the entertainment staff and other customer service positions, but I still feel that somehow they made my cruise better.

For those of us who allow the auto-tip, even H82 agrees the charge doesn't hit the credit card until AFTER the cruise. To me, the way you look at things is just being cheap. I don't believe for one minute you tip all those who are suggested by Carnival during the week, or even at the end.

Cheap is cheap and most people who fit that description find ways to justify their positions. I am one who wishes the tips would become a NON-REMOVABLE service charge and then I wonder what the excuse will be.

Hey, as you mentioned, this is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.

I think you are looking for reasons to not tip what the cruise line suggests. It appears, to me, that you take your tips off and then decide who deserves them and that might, and I say might, be your cabin steward, waiter, if you dine in the dining room, assistant waiter if you dine there, and that's about it. It doesn't matter that your assistant waiter might be in the buffet and bussing your table or bringing you coffee etc.

I don't agree with the new tip policy of tipping the behind the entertainment staff and other customer service positions, but I still feel that somehow they made my cruise better.

For those of us who allow the auto-tip, even H82 agrees the charge doesn't hit the credit card until AFTER the cruise. To me, the way you look at things is just being cheap. I don't believe for one minute you tip all those who are suggested by Carnival during the week, or even at the end.

Cheap is cheap and most people who fit that description find ways to justify their positions. I am one who wishes the tips would become a NON-REMOVABLE service charge and then I wonder what the excuse will be.

Hey, as you mentioned, this is MY opinion and I am entitled to it.

Thank goodness mamaskittles is wearing her flame retardant teddy.

I hope you all realize I called no one names,

denigrated no one,

and tried to make no one feel small for disagreeing with me.

I chose this post to quote because I don't know how to use multiple quotes but this is for cruisenanny and boo also.

I completely agree I have,

ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION TO TIP AS THE CRUISE LINE SUGGESTS.

I may tip less, I may tip none, but I will most likely tip more, as I have always done.

However I will tip WHEN and WHERE I see fit.

No one has the right to make anyone feel small for stating and standing by their beliefs.

The desk, entertainment, and customer service personel, do not get a tip from me. If Carnival feels they need more money then pay them more.

I do not tip the band at my local nightclub nor do I tip the desk clerk at the holiday inn or the customer service girl at JC Penneys.

If carnival raises my cruise fare the hot $20 I refuse to pay fully compensated staff, so be it.

And pray tell how do any of you know who I tip. Believe it or not I know what an asst. waiter is and does and a cabin steward asst. And the truth is most MDR wait staff also work in the buffet. I also can and do re-instate a portion of the auto tips to whom I feel deserve a tip.

Yes I really think you need to work for your money how American of me.

denigrated no one,

I chose this post to quote because I don't know how to use multiple quotes but this is for cruisenanny and boo also.

I may tip less, I may tip none, but I will most likely tip more, as I have always done.

No one has the right to make anyone feel small for stating and standing by their beliefs.

The desk, entertainment, and customer service personel, do not get a tip from me. If Carnival feels they need more money then pay them more.

I do not tip the band at my local nightclub nor do I tip the desk clerk at the holiday inn or the customer service girl at JC Penneys.

If carnival raises my cruise fare the hot $20 I refuse to pay fully compensated staff, so be it.

And pray tell how do any of you know who I tip. Believe it or not I know what an asst. waiter is and does and a cabin steward asst. And the truth is most MDR wait staff also work in the buffet. I also can and do re-instate a portion of the auto tips to whom I feel deserve a tip.

As someone who worked in the entertainment department on Carnival for 5 years, I hope you never request a song from a performer with your attitude. There is no way I would ever play anything for you.... :)

As someone who worked in the entertainment department on Carnival for 5 years, I hope you never request a song from a performer with your attitude. There is no way I would ever play anything for you.... :)

How did you get along throughout those 5 years without tips from passengers.

I mean it is a fairly new request that Carnival passengers pay the entertainers isn't it?

I know the piano player in a lounge puts out a tip jar. I don't need to be serenaded to drop in a dollar or two.

I am really glad you don't work for Carnival anymore, they are far to good a corporation to promote entertainers who feel the need to beg for pennies from the pax.

The senior officers.Have you never seen the ladies and gentlemen wearing white with stripes on their sleeves.Also known as supervisors/managers

I dont think they will ever have a service charge or build it into the cruise fare,I would like them to put the fuel surcharge on and actually pay the staff what they should get

Holland America use to have a no tipping policy. That became a no tipping required policy. Now they have auto tip as well. We always tipped extra for superior service. I like this policy as everything was in one package. They advertised the price and that was it. No service charge added, no extra charges except what I spent while on the cruise.

Please to try to trick me by advertising a lower price and then adding tons of mandatory item. There employees are their employees not mine.

European cruises have to pay more for the cruise because it is not a tipping culture. We should be the same way. It just a way the cruise lines try to hedge their bets on paying wages.

How did you get along throughout those 5 years without tips from passengers.

I mean it is a fairly new request that Carnival passengers pay the entertainers isn't it?

I know the piano player in a lounge puts out a tip jar. I don't need to be serenaded to drop in a dollar or two.

I am really glad you don't work for Carnival anymore, they are far to good a corporation to promote entertainers who feel the need to beg for pennies from the pax.

As a piano bar entertainer, I was tipped quite well by passengers.... Trust me, as I've moved on to bigger and better, I'm glad I'm not there either dealing with people with this entitled attitude. You stated quite emphatically that you would not tip a band in your previous post.... I was more curious to your thoughts of tipping for a request (as it is the norm).

Have you even considered that the "Entertainers" who are getting a portion of this $1 increase are most likely dancers who are assigned duties that have nothing to do with what they are hired for? I know that you and others are going to say that you "won't tip full salaried employees" who aren't directly "serving" you, but you pay for it one way or another through your fare or gratuities.... These dancers are not paid a huge salary at all. If it makes you feel good making your principal stand on not tipping, go right ahead and brag about it to the world... It's really quite sad and small....

1 - As a piano bar entertainer, I was tipped quite well by passengers....

2 - Trust me, as I've moved on to bigger and better,

3 - I'm glad I'm not there either dealing with people with this entitled attitude. You stated quite emphatically that you would not tip a band in your previous post....

4 - I was more curious to your thoughts of tipping for a request (as it is the norm).

5- Have you even considered that the "Entertainers" who are getting a portion of this $1 increase are most likely dancers who are assigned duties that have nothing to do with what they are hired for? I know that you and others are going to say that you

6- "won't tip full salaried employees" who aren't directly "serving" you, but you pay for it one way or another through your fare or gratuities....

7- These dancers are not paid a huge salary at all.

If it makes you feel good making your principal stand on not tipping, go right ahead and brag about it to the world...

8 - It's really quite sad and small....

1 - As I stated the piano bar on land or sea is one of the tipping entertainer exceptions.

2 - Congratulations

3 - I am entitled to what I pay for and my opinion. You are not entitled to judge how much I should pay nor tell me I am less than because my opinion differs from yours.

4 - I stated I drop a dollar or two into the jar with or without a request.

5 - Isn't it Carnivals job to pay it's employees? I have never been to a broadway or off broadway or regional theater and tipped the dancers cos they had to move the props .

6- Correct, my fare pays for the entertainment and the laundry and customer service. I pay the fare they ask of me. If the fare is raised so the 3rd mechanic from the right can get more scratch so be it.

7- They accepted the contract they were offered or are you telling me that in addition to kidnapping waiters and cabin stewards Carnival now waylays unsuspecting dancers and drags them on board.

8 - I am neither sad nor small. I am at least honest. I will guarantee you that many of the" I tip oh so well "sounding folk are the ones sneaking down to the pursers desk at midnight the last night.

I am always fair minded and never call names. I refuse to sink to the level of belittling my fellow cruisers for disagreeing with me.

If you choose to follow the current policy fine by me. I only post my opinion so the newer cruisers know there are options.

Auto-tipping will fade just as the envelopes faded just as the all inclusive faded. They are going to add a non-refundable service charge to suppliment the salary of the employees. This will make no difference to the excellent employees but it will reduce the efficiency of the marginal employees. Human nature is a biatch.

I know cruising has changed but it is still a great vacation option.

I wish you well in your career. I hope you don't denigrate your listeners if they don't throw dollars at you on stage ( unless you became a stripper :eek:)

1 - As I stated the piano bar on land or sea is one of the tipping entertainer exceptions.

2 - Congratulations

3 - I am entitled to what I pay for and my opinion. You are not entitled to judge how much I should pay nor tell me I am less than because my opinion differs from yours.

4 - I stated I drop a dollar or two into the jar with or without a request.

5 - Isn't it Carnivals job to pay it's employees? I have never been to a broadway or off broadway or regional theater and tipped the dancers cos they had to move the props .

6- Correct, my fare pays for the entertainment and the laundry and customer service. I pay the fare they ask of me. If the fare is raised so the 3rd mechanic from the right can get more scratch so be it.

7- They accepted the contract they were offered or are you telling me that in addition to kidnapping waiters and cabin stewards Carnival now waylays unsuspecting dancers and drags them on board.

8 - I am neither sad nor small. I am at least honest. I will guarantee you that many of the" I tip oh so well "sounding folk are the ones sneaking down to the pursers desk at midnight the last night.

I am always fair minded and never call names. I refuse to sink to the level of belittling my fellow cruisers for disagreeing with me.

If you choose to follow the current policy fine by me. I only post my opinion so the newer cruisers know there are options.

Auto-tipping will fade just as the envelopes faded just as the all inclusive faded. They are going to add a non-refundable service charge to suppliment the salary of the employees. This will make no difference to the excellent employees but it will reduce the efficiency of the marginal employees. Human nature is a biatch.

I know cruising has changed but it is still a great vacation option.

I wish you well in your career. I hope you don't denigrate your listeners if they don't throw dollars at you on stage ( unless you became a stripper :eek:)

You're fair minded and don't call names? "I am really glad you don't work for Carnival anymore, they are far to good a corporation to promote entertainers who feel the need to beg for pennies from the pax."

There are no entertainers "begging for pennies".... Just stating that says something about you.

Also, when you go to a Broadway show, the performers aren't helping you get to your car the next day or showing you where your hotel room is 2 days before.... Just pointing out that the "tip" most likely isn't for anything entertainment related. They would be doing extra duties and should be paid for it. Yes, Carnival "should" pay it directly and raise the fare to do so. They've chosen to do it this way as this would be a "service" to the passengers... Either way... every dollar that anyone on board makes from the captain down to the window washer comes from the passengers! No, you don't tip the same way at home nor should you. I would hope that if you went out for 3 meals a day you would be tipping more per day than you do on a ship. Cruising is a different environment than everyday life and the two really shouldn't be compared.

I do agree that "gratuities" will end sometime in the future and be replaced by a service charge. It will be so welcome because it will put an end to this tiresome debate.....

Happy cruising everyone....

You're fair minded and don't call names? "I am really glad you don't work for Carnival anymore, they are far to good a corporation to promote entertainers who feel the need to beg for pennies from the pax."

There are no entertainers "begging for pennies".... Just stating that says something about you.

Also, when you go to a Broadway show, the performers aren't helping you get to your car the next day or showing you where your hotel room is 2 days before.... Just pointing out that the "tip" most likely isn't for anything entertainment related. They would be doing extra duties and should be paid for it. Yes, Carnival "should" pay it directly and raise the fare to do so. They've chosen to do it this way as this would be a "service" to the passengers... Either way... every dollar that anyone on board makes from the captain down to the window washer comes from the passengers! No, you don't tip the same way at home nor should you. I would hope that if you went out for 3 meals a day you would be tipping more per day than you do on a ship. Cruising is a different environment than everyday life and the two really shouldn't be compared.

I do agree that "gratuities" will end sometime in the future and be replaced by a service charge. It will be so welcome because it will put an end to this tiresome debate.....

Happy cruising everyone....

I may be sleep deprived but I never noticed a dancer directing passengers to their cabins or their cars or I am misconstruing your post. Of course the passangers pay for everything just as the customers at Macy's pay for everything. Every dollar spent everywhere pays for it all. The difference is when you call it a tip or a gratuity it implies that free will remains in play. I tip very well for service rendered. Always have always will. I don't tip in advance of service, I don't tip the owner of the establishment, ( I owned and ran two separate successful food service companies and never accepted tips, it was inappropriate IMHO) and I never tip for bad service. When we go to non-refundable service charges I for one will be happy. I still know that some crew will become lax when their pay is not in any way influenced by performance.

as far as my "begging for pennies " comment I still feel it was justified by your remark insinuating that I have an entitlement (to what ?) attitude and that since I disagree with tipping entertainers you would never play a song for me. So therefore only those that toss a copper in the jar get a song. Begging for pennies.

I may be sleep deprived but I never noticed a dancer directing passengers to their cabins or their cars or I am misconstruing your post. Of course the passangers pay for everything just as the customers at Macy's pay for everything. Every dollar spent everywhere pays for it all. The difference is when you call it a tip or a gratuity it implies that free will remains in play. I tip very well for service rendered. Always have always will. I don't tip in advance of service, I don't tip the owner of the establishment, ( I owned and ran two separate successful food service companies and never accepted tips, it was inappropriate IMHO) and I never tip for bad service. When we go to non-refundable service charges I for one will be happy. I still know that some crew will become lax when their pay is not in any way influenced by performance.

as far as my "begging for pennies " comment I still feel it was justified by your remark insinuating that I have an entitlement (to what ?) attitude and that since I disagree with tipping entertainers you would never play a song for me. So therefore only those that toss a copper in the jar get a song. Begging for pennies.

Yes it is late... and taking into consideration that the meaning behind these posts often comes across harsher than intended (I believe these conversations would take a much different tone if they were face to face) I'll offer a truce... You did say you would tip in a piano bar (land or sea)... Yes, requests is either environment should be accompanied by a tip.... and not pennies either! :) My "entitled" comment wasn't meant to be directed at you personally. Simply, a remark about people who come on board and act like all of the crew must bow down to them (there are a LOT who come across that way).

As for Broadway performers directing you to your car/hotel, I was trying to compare that to the embarkation day "ask me" shirts, getting passengers organized for tenders, etc..... You won't see the land performer doing something other than perform (unless the have a second job... which they are paid for!).

Yes, it's time for "gratuities" to be called what they truly are.... a service charge. If human nature caused for some lesser workers to slack, I'm sure it would be noted by supervisors. I'd be willing to guess that the best would still do the extra things to hopefully "earn" more... Cream always rises to the top....

Yes it is late... and taking into consideration that the meaning behind these posts often comes across harsher than intended (I believe these conversations would take a much different tone if they were face to face) I'll offer a truce... You did say you would tip in a piano bar (land or sea)... Yes, requests is either environment should be accompanied by a tip.... and not pennies either! :) My "entitled" comment wasn't meant to be directed at you personally. Simply, a remark about people who come on board and act like all of the crew must bow down to them (there are a LOT who come across that way).

As for Broadway performers directing you to your car/hotel, I was trying to compare that to the embarkation day "ask me" shirts, getting passengers organized for tenders, etc..... You won't see the land performer doing something other than perform (unless the have a second job... which they are paid for!).

Yes, it's time for "gratuities" to be called what they truly are.... a service charge. If human nature caused for some lesser workers to slack, I'm sure it would be noted by supervisors. I'd be willing to guess that the best would still do the extra things to hopefully "earn" more... Cream always rises to the top....

Now this post I agree with wholeheartedly.:)

I would be horrified if any crew ever felt the need to bow down to me :eek:.

I believed that the embarkation helpers were sort of on a voluteer basis. Kind of a " get your face out there " type of thing.

I am truely sorry that Carnival felt that rather than increase wages they could pass it off on the pax. Many agree wtih me this is unfair. We are more than willing to pay a living wage to the "behind the scenes workerswith our cruise fare as it should be.

No one should be made to feel they need to grovel to make a living, but there are those who like the feeling of lifting up the downtrodden. I still believe in tipping for service rendered, a meal served, a cabin cleaned, a song sung.

And cream will always rise to the top:D.

Now this post I agree with wholeheartedly.:)

I would be horrified if any crew ever felt the need to bow down to me :eek:.

I believed that the embarkation helpers were sort of on a voluteer basis. Kind of a " get your face out there " type of thing.

I am truely sorry that Carnival felt that rather than increase wages they could pass it off on the pax. Many agree wtih me this is unfair. We are more than willing to pay a living wage to the "behind the scenes workerswith our cruise fare as it should be.

No one should be made to feel they need to grovel to make a living, but there are those who like the feeling of lifting up the downtrodden. I still believe in tipping for service rendered, a meal served, a cabin cleaned, a song sung.

And cream will always rise to the top:D.

If this were Facebook I'd click "like".... :)

Most definitely not voluntary! If fact, it's often a major reason why quality entertainers are leaving Carnival for other cruise lines and opportunities....

Holland America use to have a no tipping policy. That became a no tipping required policy. Now they have auto tip as well. We always tipped extra for superior service. I like this policy as everything was in one package. They advertised the price and that was it. No service charge added, no extra charges except what I spent while on the cruise.

Please to try to trick me by advertising a lower price and then adding tons of mandatory item. There employees are their employees not mine.

European cruises have to pay more for the cruise because it is not a tipping culture. We should be the same way. It just a way the cruise lines try to hedge their bets on paying wages.

I wonder if there are different contracts for different itinerary,like Europe and the caribbean

I wonder if the pay is different because of different tipping cultures

One day there will be service charges automatically added (and cant be removed) its just going to take 400 people standing in line on Saturday afternoon complaining about how bad service was and getting a $150 rebate on their cruise and the cruiselines having a hard time filling positions onboard because the staff does not get paid what was promised (or suggested)

we would pay more to cruise and see staff being paid what was expected when they signed the contract

Most definitely not voluntary! If fact, it's often a major reason why quality entertainers are leaving Carnival for other cruise lines and opportunities....

Would you happen to know or heard of Ed Rocks.He was on the Triumph on my first or second cruise. He was awesome

Would you happen to know or heard of Ed Rocks.He was on the Triumph on my first or second cruise. He was awesome

Ed was a Carnival piano bar legend!.... I'm not sure where he is now but I'm positive he's providing a good time for all those around him.

Ed was a Carnival piano bar legend!.... I'm not sure where he is now but I'm positive he's providing a good time for all those around him.

the Corona cannonballs was awesome.I wish I could find a video

its nice to see someone who worked on a ship and can give us confirmation about cheap people first hand

One day there will be service charges automatically added (and cant be removed) its just going to take 400 people standing in line on Saturday afternoon complaining about how bad service was and getting a $150 rebate on their cruise and the cruiselines having a hard time filling positions onboard because the staff does not get paid what was promised (or suggested)

we would pay more to cruise and see staff being paid what was expected when they signed the contract

I guess that will be the same as a HIDDEN RATE HIKE. When & If they does this, people will just quit adding more on. Once again it will be like ALL INCLUSIVE.

I agree 1000% Carnival & other companies should pay people a fair wage for the work they perform. Telling them they can make x more from tips is what I would consoder in the "BAIT & SWITCH" type category. You BAIT with a higher figure that includes estimates of tips, and then pay me less when they never happen as you want to believe in your fantasy world.

I am of the Opinion (And I dont really care if you disagree with me, "It is MY Money & I will tip what I want to") that I would rather pay more for a cruise than be nickeled & dimed to death with Fee's, Tip's or any other hidden type charges. Just look at your Phone Bill & see how they do it. They are one of the best at adding on Fee's, Taxes and anything else they can think of to try & say how low their base rate is (Which is usually regulated. All those others things usually arent).

denigrated no one,

sounds like someone in charge!

good for you!

i never understood that anyway. if i wanted to hear a song, i'd insert a dime in the jukebox.

these days, i just put on iheart radio.

just curious though. did they pay you sub par wages like the service staff? and would you play music if your tip jar was empty?

Archived