Carnival PVP

You are correct, you don't. But a good PVP is worth their weight in gold. We have had the same guy for over 15 years. He cruises a lot and is very knowledgeable. He knows not to call me if he sees me perusing Carnival's website. He knows our preferences, so he'll email me and let me know of any deals or offers that might interest us. He's gone to bat for us many times, and even got fees waived when we changed our cruising plans following Kevin's accident, and when Patti retired. Yep, you don't have to have a PVP, but we wouldn't give ours up for the world! :)

Well put ;p rather dated thread though .

For the record, we won't be discussing things that aren't allowed if it ever works :cool:.

Sorry. I'm not used to how these forums work. Thanks for letting me contact you to ask you some questions and not clog up the forum thread. It's great to read about other peoples experiences. I'm very excited for my next cruise and I think the Glory sounds like a great ship to take a trip on!

Sorry. I'm not used to how these forums work. Thanks for letting me contact you to ask you some questions and not clog up the forum thread. It's great to read about other peoples experiences. I'm very excited for my next cruise and I think the Glory sounds like a great ship to take a trip on!

No problem! Let me know if you need anymore pics or can think of anything else you're not sure of. I understand and try not to get threads off topic myself which is what seems to be happening here. LOL! Take care!

But a good one can reach out to people at Carnival at your behalf and solve problems quickly

You do realize that your "PVP" is a Carnival employee who' date=' unlike a TA, can't share their commission with you.

As for "solving problems," TAs are essentially employed by YOU (I.e., paid part of your fare) and, if they are one of a line's top producers, they are in a far better position (than a cruise line employee PVP) to argue/win a sore point that will ultimately disadvantage the cruise line.

Of course Carnival does present a problem in that many of the best TAs won't book their cruises since there's not much money to be made on the relatively low cabin cost.

Nonetheless, it could be worth your effort to find a good TA, particularly if your Carnival booking will be a pricey one (e.g., large group, high end cabin, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can understand why PVPs get upset when you don't book with them because they work on a commission/bonus structure. I've been in that sort of sales for 10 years so I get it. What is unfortunate is that they don't explain that to people so that we will make sure to stick with the same PVP. Apparently they can also buddy with a co-worker so that if they aren't there we have someone to talk to. When my PVP is out of the office her email auto reply gives me the name and email/number of someone else I can use if I need help before she returns. !

I think most people understand that agents / PVPs work on commission. Many PVPs do not understand that customers want to book when they want to book. A team arrangement makes sense, but that is what needs to be communicated if it’s in place.

Change, how do you get one? I used to book cruises with Carnival by phone. And within a week I would receive a call from a PVP. And would be contacted by my PVP via email and snail mail. I've booked two cruises recently on line and never receive a call, emails, nothing.

Change, how do you get one? I used to book cruises with Carnival by phone. And within a week I would receive a call from a PVP. And would be contacted by my PVP via email and snail mail. I've booked two cruises recently on line and never receive a call, emails, nothing.

Best way is to find a good one through referral. Not all of them are equal.

I gave up on PVPs and found an excellent travel agent. She knows about Carnival, she can go to bat for me when Carnival screws up, I get mileage points when I book with her. If you're using an agent anyway, think about finding a travel agent who can gain you benefits besides just the cabin.

I had a couple bad experiences with a TA so won’t use them for Carnival anymore. Like REAL bad. They really don’t give enough perks for me to change. Now for my upcoming Celebrity Cruise, I was able to find one that beat Celebrity directly hands down so I went with him.

The service I get from my PVP can’t be matched. He’s been there since 1992 and whenever there has been an issue, he’s gotten it taken care of very quickly.

I could use an online TA and get miles, but honestly his service isn’t worth giving up. He also goes to bat for me. While a PVP works for Carnival, the TA works for their company. I am their client in both cases and they both want me to be happy so will do everything they can to make sure that happens. Plus with the amount of referrals I send him, he’s going to do everything in his power to make sure things are right. This is where it pays to know the higher ups personally [emoji846]. Plus I have gotten cheap up sell calls and emails since I’m booked direct with Carnival. You get those less with a TA because they need to go through them first.

Anyway, find someone whether a PVP or TA that treats you right and stick with them instead of booking online. If you have a good agent working for you when things don’t go as planned, one call to them and the issue should get taken care of. Lots of hours and frustration can be saved this way. Everyone thinks nothing will ever happen to them, yet there are mad posts on here all the time asking about refunds, changing dates, penalties, cancellations, etc and that they have been told different things by different CSRs. If they had one person that was GOOD whether a PVP or TA, many of their worries and concerns would be taken care of with one call to them.

I tried working with a PVP when I went to book our upcoming cruise but was told everything had to be via phone. She couldn't/wouldn't communicate via email. I can use the internet/computer while at work but due to the nature of my job I can't be on the phone for long periods of time so I can't call in during the day. I don't have the time nor the want to be on the phone after work so email is my only option. If they don't want to/can't communicate via email then I'll just continue to book it myself online.

I tried working with a PVP when I went to book our upcoming cruise but was told everything had to be via phone. She couldn't/wouldn't communicate via email. I can use the internet/computer while at work but due to the nature of my job I can't be on the phone for long periods of time so I can't call in during the day. I don't have the time nor the want to be on the phone after work so email is my only option. If they don't want to/can't communicate via email then I'll just continue to book it myself online.

I text/message my PVP. If he needs verbal confirmation of something he can call me later or I’ll call him. The man never sleeps I swear.

I had one PVP who was great but left the company last year. We were given a new PVP, and he is amazing as well! We do not live in the US anymore, so calls are really hard, but he is very available through email. He booked our upcoming cruises for us online with a hold, letting me go online to pay the deposit so it was convenient for me. I always do a ton of research and I know what I want, but I just email him with my requests and let him do the booking. Also, he got me OBC when none was being offered, so I believe PVP's can get you more than the website if you just ask and are reasonable. I know I could easily book a cruise by myself online and it would be nice and easy, but these people do work off commission, so I enjoy going through them. It's nothing for me to send an email, and it is nice to know if questions do arise, I have someone to contact.

As travel writer/ombudsman Christopher Elliott often writes: Put everything in writing!!! It is that e-mail trail that will serve you best when problems arise.

Even when I do have a phone call with a trusted TA, I follow up with a summary e-mail that includes something like: "....glad that you agreed to ......."

As travel writer/ombudsman Christopher Elliott often writes: Put everything in writing!!! It is that e-mail trail that will serve you best when problems arise.

I work in a health care office and the rule is and will always be..."if it isn't written down, it didn't happen" which is usually attached to "if it happens, write it down". Of course this has to do with billing and documentation but it is good to apply it to everyday life as well.