PG - Bottled Water

Oarsman55

When my kids were teenagers I used to chastise them for saying, "Sorry....... but....". Which in their case, meant, "I'm not sorry, I'm coming back for another bite at the cherry". Sadly, although adulthood has lessened the problem they never quite got it out of their systems.

Being a grumpy old bloke there's lots I complain about and I get a lot of stick in response. But even I'd feel a bit embarrassed to be complaining about depleting the earth's resources and wasting money when I'm doing several cruises a year and just about to go and trample all over the Arctic Circle.

There's that word "but" again. Sorry for using it. Genuinely. :o

I stand duly chastised.

Shiny

PS Don't leave your bottle behind in the Arctic Circle. Although somebody undoubtedly will.

SS

Someone ( a university or something similar, not a company ) did some research to see how much fluid a person takes in each day.

I think, as I recall, that it was also stated that if you feel thirsty "the damage has already been done" Well ha ha or LOL as David Cameron nearly said.

David Toft

We watched a very good West End show by Ben Elton called Gasping about a company looking for ideas to make money and chose designer air "to make the lungs breathe easier".. a very good show. Starring the butler from Downton Abbey.....it could be the next step.

We watched a very good West End show by Ben Elton called Gasping about a company looking for ideas to make money and chose designer air "to make the lungs breathe easier".. a very good show. Starring the butler from Downton Abbey.....it could be the next step.

That guy is a great actor. Played La Forge in the second series of BBC Scarlet Pimpernel.

Designer air sounds good. I'm sure those in the slightly larger Grills cabins with a slightly different menu, slightly more bon voyage bubbly and slightly larger balconies will lap it up.

The illusion of exclusivity is the greatest of all money makers.

:)

Calm down, calm down Shiny. I agree with you. Some people cannot move without a bottle of water to hand. I often wonder how my parents and grandparents lived their three score years and ten without constant sips of water from bottles. Some people will fall for anything.

Calm down, calm down Shiny. I agree with you. Some people cannot move without a bottle of water to hand. I often wonder how my parents and grandparents lived their three score years and ten without constant sips of water from bottles. Some people will fall for anything.

We should form a protest group. We could have slogans to shout.

"Wadda we want?"

"No bottled water"

'When don't we want it?"

"Ever!"

My nephew was telling me that you can buy a modern day version of Gunga Din's goatskin water-bag now. It straps to your back, holds about half a gallon and has a tube hanging over your shoulder with a valve you can suck.

Sounds hideously unsanitary to me. But he assures me that these - wait for it - 'Hydration Systems' are quite the thing among the woolly hat brigade.

Makes you wonder how old Wainwright managed to walk and map the Lake district hills with a flask of tea, a Hovis butty, a pair of stout boots and a rainmac.

Shiny

You had missed it anyway! Sir Martin had that little earner sewn up a long long time ago - shortly after he sold Buck House to a guy from Texas.

:D

J

You can make more money in Trafalgar Square selling the pigeons to the tourists.

We should form a protest group. We could have slogans to shout.

"Wadda we want?"

"No bottled water"

'When don't we want it?"

"Ever!"

My nephew was telling me that you can buy a modern day version of Gunga Din's goatskin water-bag now. It straps to your back, holds about half a gallon and has a tube hanging over your shoulder with a valve you can suck.

Sounds hideously unsanitary to me. But he assures me that these - wait for it - 'Hydration Systems' are quite the thing among the woolly hat brigade.

Makes you wonder how old Wainwright managed to walk and map the Lake district hills with a flask of tea, a Hovis butty, a pair of stout boots and a rainmac.

Shiny

Ah those were the days, when men were men and sheep were nervous! :cool:

Most of them lived on lard, full-fat milk, dubiously sourced water and fags and are still alive and well, having managed quite a bit more than a mere three score years and ten.

I once read that the people who recommended the daily water intake plucked a figure out of thin air; likewise the number of recommended alcohol units; doubtless these are the same people now telling us that butter, chocolate and coffee are good for us.

I'm ignoring them all and buzzing off to sunbathe.

Mary

n.

I once read that the people who recommended the daily water intake plucked a figure out of thin air; likewise the number of recommended alcohol units; doubtless these are the same people now telling us that butter, chocolate and coffee are good for us.

Mary

Yeah, i reckon they got things mixed up somewhere and it should be:-

20 units of water per week

and 8 glasses of alcohol per day.

SS

This is what you need :

BeerHatGuy2.jpg

I once read that the people who recommended the daily water intake plucked a figure out of thin air; likewise the number of recommended alcohol units;

Water - see my description of how 8 glasses came about ( previous post on thi2 thread ).

Alcohol - pretty much the same. I heard on the radio a few years ago that some doctors came up with 21-28 units a week ( but they admitted they did not really know ). Someone in Government said "well, that's 3-4 units a day a then". To which the reply was "That's not what we said, we said 21-28 a week". The government ignored it and said 3-4 anyway.

Fruit and Veg : According to Mr Fry on QI, it's because 5 portions ( whatever a portion is ) is the most that the food police think people will stand. Other countries have different figures, depending on what they can get away with. Also, I think there was an article on the BBC's news page that concluded it's "Five a day" because it's a fairly round and catchy number.

LOL, Shiny, and under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. However, SWMBO points out that the stuff from the "cold" tap on board ships is warm and utterly vile unless refrigerated and sometimes, in common with many of her gender, she simply cannot wait;). I am informed that the bottled stuff is not actually vomit-inducing at room temperature and who am I to argue?

BTW, does anyone happen to know the answer to the original question?

Peter

I would make sure SWMBO has taken the water from the cold tap. I have found the tap water to be excellent in five cruise lines I have used. On one other I found it was not to an acceptable standard and I did drink bottled water. For some reason I drink far more water on board than usual. It is either my alcohol intake or the air conditioning.

Archived