Carnival Legend Review 5/6-5/13

mj

Cozumel Continued

Now for something a little different. Coming back from the shops near one of the bars, we noticed a lady sitting down and some people were gathered around asking her if she was ok. Went through some of the shops and then headed back to the ship. We were held up and noticed that they some of the crew was helping the lady in a wheelchair. It was the same lady we saw back around the bar area. She was laughing and had no control of her body. Her entire body was limp. A couple of the crew actually rolled their eyes a bit. She was taken away by medical personnel. Saw her a couple of days later and she looked ok.

It was getting close to sailaway and time to sail at 5pm. They started calling out a few names of people. The next thing I knew they were sailing away at 5. Don't know if we left those people or not. This Captain gave me the impression that you better be on time or you will be a local.

Now for some more pictures:

Legend2012222.jpg

Legend2012227.jpg

The unknown Carnival ship that was docked closer to town

Legend2012237.jpg

The line to get back on the Elation

Legend2012219.jpg

Legend2012225.jpg

Your doing a great job with your picture review. Can't wait for more:D

That's some line for "elegant night" and passengers don't look to elegant. I was surprised to see that.;)

Can't wait for more. We sail in October. 159 days :)

My apologies. That was the actual line for breakfast that morning and did not catch it until you mentioned it. Having said that, most people on elegant night really did not dress up. Did not see a lot of suits and do not remember any tuxedos.

5/6 Sunday

This is the big day. It still is exciting to me, no matter how many cruises I take. Got up at 7am. Went down to the breakfast area and got one of those great cinnamon rolls that the Holiday Inn Express has. Put the luggage tags on our luggage. We had to make sure that the rental car was returned by 12 to thie Marriott Waterside near the cruise port.

The hotel was only 15 minutes from the port, so we left at 11am. Got the port and dropped off the luggage and that was relatively easy. No line at all to drop off the luggage. Got the rental car to the Mariott at 11:45am.

Now, I am the type that likes to get on the ship as soon as possible. My mom likes to get onboard when the rooms are ready. On Carnival, as you well know, that is 1:30. She suggested that we go the Florida Aquarium, which was next door. Found a $3 dollar off coupon at the hotel and so the tickets were $18 or 19 for me. They have an area that you can check your luggage. Spent about an hour there.

The aquarium was ok. My mind kept going the whole time, " I wish I was on the Legend." Think I would had a better time if I was not so anxious to get on the ship. Here are some pictures at the aquarium.

Legend2012019.jpg

Legend2012033.jpg

Legend2012031.jpg

Legend2012088.jpg

This last picture was my favorite one of all.

OOOOOOOO I love the cinnamon rolls at Holiday Inn Express. So Yummy :p

Cozumel (Continued)

The ship sailed away from Cozumel. One of my favorite things to do is to sit on the balcony and watch the ship sail away from the port. The Captain was going at a pretty brisk pace. Had to go to dinner and showed up at 6:45 and had to wait for a table. Had about a 20 minute wait. The short ribs were good that night along with the strawberry cheese cake for dessert.

Things are kinda running together for me and think that this was the night they had a comedian that did physical comedy. Enjoyed that one a whole lot. Believe the name was Michael James. Did not any of the comedians this cruise, but saw that Happy Cole was doing a show one night. That brings back fond memories to my first Carnival cruise on the Victory back in 2001, where he did a couple of shows.

Now for a few final pictures of sailing away from Cozumel:

Legend2012247.jpg

Legend2012245.jpg

Legend2012252.jpg

Legend2012271.jpg

Belize (May 9) Wednesday

Thanks for all the nice comments. This has been a nice diversion to sit down and type this review.

Belize has never been a favorite port of mine. Got off a couple of times, but mostly stay on a deserted ship. Of course, this is just an opinion. There are quite a few positive comments on Belize. Just stayed on the ship and relaxed today.

We left right on time at 5pm. Had dinner and had no wait tonight. This used to be one of my favorite Carnival meals, which was rack of lamb. Then it became a duet of rack of lamb with the leg. That has been replaced by lamb shank, which is pretty good. Prior to that, I had a peach soup, which was very good. Personally love the fruit soups. This time all of the fruit soups were really good. Had them on previous cruises and they were a little watered down. Not this time though.

The biggest disappointment came with Bitter and Blanc. This is one of my favorite Carnival desserts. This time it was very dry even with the sauce. The tiramisu was very good though.

Afterwards went to the Newlywed Game. That was the only big show for the evening. My mom really likes the show. I can take it or leave it. It was fairly entertaining. My only annoyance is they use that same joke. Don't know why they can't change this up some.

Of course, the cruise director started laughing hysterically like the guy had actually wrote this. A lot of people laughed, so I must be in the minority.

No pictures for this port. I promise they are plenty for Roatan and Grand Cayman

Up Next: Roatan

May 10, (Roatan) Thursday

Last year was my first time to this port. Enjoyed the fact that there is a beach nearby. Pretty much went to some of the shops first. Then headed to the beach near the ship. Of course, no visit to the Caribbean is complete without seeing Diamonds International.

On a side note, thought no way they would be in Alaska on my cruise next year. Wrong! Diamonds International will be right there at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan to make me feel right at home.

We got the note the night before they would be cleaning our balcony. Of course, it always looks the same to me after they clean it and I would not know they did anything except seeing that my balcony is now wet.

The beach was very relaxing and got in the shade. Layed there about a few hours and headed back to the ship around 1:30. No problem getting on the ship. Went up to the Lido and had a cheeseburger. Was very good. If Guy's burgers are better than these, I cannot wait for the upgrade.

Headed back to the room to get ready for sailaway. There was a long line at 2:40 and we thought no way we would leave at 3pm. But we did. Now for some pictures of the island.

Legend2012309.jpg

Legend2012317.jpg

Legend2012321.jpg

Legend2012305.jpg

Legend2012320.jpg

The line at 2:40pm.

Wrapping up Roatan

Had a maintenance issue. All week the balcony door was difficult to open. Called maintenance to come fix it and they came a couple of hours later. The maintenance person determined that a new lock was needed. He had his wd-40 and his hammer and he went to work. He was having a lot of trouble getting the lock off and he beat that door to death. I imagine that the Captain could hear it up all the way to the bridge. He did get it fixed and he did a good job.

On a side note, had a maintenance problem on the Carnival Liberty a few years ago. Called them up the first day and they finally came on the last day of the cruise. The Legend maintenance crew was on top of their game.

Went to the dining room and it was cruise elegant night. No wait to get in and went around 7:30. Had the chateaubriand and it was very tender and good. Nice that Carnival went back to the better cut of beef.

Met a couple at dinner that was not happy. Somebody from Carnival had visited their table. Then they started talking to us. Did not get the whole story, but apparently somehow one of the floors got flooded. Not sure if it was their room or the hallway or both. Carnival had offered them some compensation, but they were not happy with the offer. They also said it was their last Carnival cruise. After dinner, called it a night.

Monday May 7 (Sea Day)

One of the great things about a balcony is having a cup of coffee in the morning. Ordered room service for between 8:30 and 9 and the guy was at the door at 8:20. They were prompt. Ordered throughout the week at the same time and the latest they came was 8:30.

Did not really do a whole lot this day. Do not participate in the activities. Don't remember a whole lot going on that day either. Just took the time to read my book on the balcony.

The cruise director was Kirk (cannot remember his last name). He was fine. Boy, could he fly with the annoucements and they were long, in my opinion. He was going so fast some times, I had difficulty with the annoucements.

Legend2012153.jpg

This was the first elegant night and our first night in the dining room. We have done the my time dining and normally works well. Last time, half of the upper deck was used for the open seating. This time, the entire dining room on the third floor was being utilized. It is definately getting more popular. Went just a little after eight and there was a line to get in. It moved real quickly and was seated. This is my favorite dinner from Carnival and had lobster, as usual. The food that night was cooked well. That was not the case the entire week. The food seemed a little uneven at times. One thing I noticed was there was always someone from the Steakhouse outside the dining room. Not a criticism, just an observation. Here is the line to get in.

Legend2012154.jpg

Came back in and retired for the evening. There was a production show that evening, but did not go.

Up next Cozumel

Yeah......I can tell it's elegant night by the t-shirts.

Zoey, mj explained (back at post #28) that this was a photo of the breakfast line

accidentally posted as Elegant Night.

Oh good. Sorry, I didn't see that post. If I see one I want to comment on, I usually don't have the time to read through every post and then go back again and find the one I want to comment on, so I do it then.

But I am glad to hear it wasn't elegant night. I don't care if people don't dress to the nines, but I wouldn't expect to see too many short sleeve T-shirts on elegant night either.

Great review by the way.

I am taking my first Carnival cruise on Legend in December....after cruises on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and my favorite Celebrity.

I am taking my first Carnival cruise on Legend in December....after cruises on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and my favorite Celebrity.

Hope you have a great time!

We are taking our 1st Carnival cruise (on Legend) this Sunday. Eagerly waiting (and packing). :):)

These reviews are great!

Every day this week I have set aside some time to read and see your review. Loving it so far,please come back(you are like the tooth fairy) I only seem to get updates the next morning.:D

In Roatan I noticed the picture of the plants being raised protected in tubes, were these mangrove trees that they are trying to reforest with?

Archived