POM wine/soda purchase?

loohoo1

We will be flying in (morning of our cruise, yikes!) to FLL and taking SAS shuttle to the POM for our cruise this weekend. Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase wine and soda before we board? I'm guessing the shuttle won't make stops. Does it make sense to take a taxi from the port to get our beverages? If all goes well, we should be at the port around 11 AM. Any ideas are appreciated :)

Hmm......let me think

A cab from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami is NOT worth it

much more expensive than buying wine on ship

it would really depend on your time frame, when your plane gets in

If you could get the shuttle to drop you off at Holiday Inn by the port, one of you sit there with the bags, while one walks over to the CVS Pharmacy which is right there by the hotel

buy 2 bottles of wine

walk back and then catch a cab right into POM for about 10 bucks

You could use the trirail, go to downtown Miami, buy wine and take a cab over to the port IF you can handle your luggage

You MAY be able to find a cab driver at the Port who will take you round trip but that will be hard cause they will want the better fares coming off the ship

You might pack wine in your check on bag, if you can secure it, then open bag at port and carry it on

I am trying to figure out a similar logistical problem for some people who are flying into Seattle the day of our cruise, they want to stop and buy wine and it hard to do. I wish they would put some nice wine and/or liquor stores in airports LOL

I am flying in 3 days early and plan to buy wine in Seattle, but it is hard for those who fly in the day of.

Maybe some others will have more ideas?

HTH

Thanks ComeSailwithMe! I'll look into car rentals... I'm a little nervous about the time factor, flying in the same day and all but it's certainly worth investigating.

I was also thinking of asking the SAS shuttle driver if he/she knows of a way to get wine/soda before boarding. Maybe there will be others on the shuttle that need to stop, as well? I'm wondering if it is possible the driver would drive us by a store??? Probably wishful thinking...

We are in the exact same boat. We arrive in FLL at 9:15 am and really want to make a stop. I went to the FL departure board and asked about this and was told that unless you share a ride with people in the shuttle who are willing to stop, and the driver agrees to it, it doesn't just happen. A cab from FLL to POM is like $85! (without time charged for waiting while you shop).

If you do a search for car rental coupon codes you can get a rental car for around $45. The shuttle picks you up at FLL terminal, takes you to the car, you drive it to MIA, the shuttle (free) takes you to POM.

For us, this is the best option. I would rather spend $45 for a car to be on our own terms and make the shopping stop that we want, than $85-100 for a taxi or private car service.

Our situation is slightly different since we will have an infant with us. But, nonetheless, it is still a pretty significant price difference and just worth it us.

When I told my husband about this yesterday, he was bumbuzzled about it at first, but I explained as I did above, and he's like.. "well you're driving then." LOL.. I always drive, he drives like an old lady! :p I have no issue driving with those crazy FL drivers and will be using GPS on our phones to help navigate.

Loohoo, I have only been to Miami a few times so I'm sure some else can advise you better. But since SAS will have you at the port by 11AM, how about this for an idea. Drop off your luggage with the porters to be put on a ship, and grab a quick taxi ride to a local liquor store. I have not seen anything at the port, but I would imagine there would be something within short driving distance.

You could leave it up to the knowledge (and honesty) of the taxi driver, but I bet you would get some good advice if you posted this on the Florida port departures board. Someone there should be able to advise you on where a liquor store is within a cheap taxi fare to & from the port. I don't think a quick diversion like this would delay your getting into line for embarkation too badly. Just keep the carry ons (& passports!) with you.

To sharecruises - for your friends going straight from SEA to the smith cove port in Seattle, there are places to buy wine at Sea Tac airport. I know I have at least seen them after clearing security - I hope they could access the right part of the airport after deplaning. Soon in Seattle all the state run liquor stores will be auctioned off & general stores will be selling liquor. I believe that happens in june, may not be soon enough to help for your cruise.

We are in the exact same boat. We arrive in FLL at 9:15 am and really want to make a stop. I went to the FL departure board and asked about this and was told that unless you share a ride with people in the shuttle who are willing to stop, and the driver agrees to it, it doesn't just happen. A cab from FLL to POM is like $85! (without time charged for waiting while you shop).

If you do a search for car rental coupon codes you can get a rental car for around $45. The shuttle picks you up at FLL terminal, takes you to the car, you drive it to MIA, the shuttle (free) takes you to POM.

For us, this is the best option. I would rather spend $45 for a car to be on our own terms and make the shopping stop that we want, than $85-100 for a taxi or private car service.

Our situation is slightly different since we will have an infant with us. But, nonetheless, it is still a pretty significant price difference and just worth it us.

When I told my husband about this yesterday, he was bumbuzzled about it at first, but I explained as I did above, and he's like.. "well you're driving then." LOL.. I always drive, he drives like an old lady! :p I have no issue driving with those crazy FL drivers and will be using GPS on our phones to help navigate.

Are you sure you can get this rate? It is usually more expensive to pick up a car in one city and drop off in another (FLL to MIA)

Loohoo, I have only been to Miami a few times so I'm sure some else can advise you better. But since SAS will have you at the port by 11AM, how about this for an idea. Drop off your luggage with the porters to be put on a ship, and grab a quick taxi ride to a local liquor store. I have not seen anything at the port, but I would imagine there would be something within short driving distance.

You could leave it up to the knowledge (and honesty) of the taxi driver, but I bet you would get some good advice if you posted this on the Florida port departures board. Someone there should be able to advise you on where a liquor store is within a cheap taxi fare to & from the port. I don't think a quick diversion like this would delay your getting into line for embarkation too badly. Just keep the carry ons (& passports!) with you.

To sharecruises - for your friends going straight from SEA to the smith cove port in Seattle, there are places to buy wine at Sea Tac airport. I know I have at least seen them after clearing security - I hope they could access the right part of the airport after deplaning. Soon in Seattle all the state run liquor stores will be auctioned off & general stores will be selling liquor. I believe that happens in june, may not be soon enough to help for your cruise.

The problem here is that the cab drivers in the line up are waiting for people who came off the cruise to drive to airport etc

They are not going to want to drive a mile or so and back

The 2nd problem is that the Port is "downtown Miami"..there is no where for a cab to sit and wait , no parking lots, it is traffic and one way and pretty hard to handle. Parking is pretty insane

For anyone driving a rental car, JMO make your stops in Broward County (Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood/Dania Beach on the way down to Miami

If you get a good deal on a rental it would be doable

Miami is a "big city" with traffic and super expensive parking, metered parking etc...Broward (Ft Lauderdale) is much easier to manage IMHO

(and yes, I live here, I have been to both Ports numerous times, been to both airports, picked people up,dropped people up, and figured out the :logistics: for a lot of out of town cruisers <grin>

The problem here is that the cab drivers in the line up are waiting for people who came off the cruise to drive to airport etc

They are not going to want to drive a mile or so and back

Right, but by 11 or later I was thinking the cruisers disembarking the ship should be pretty much gone. If that cab was there after dropping off people to the port, maybe it wouldn't mind heading back out with a fare.

Honestly....I live here and I know what a cluster POM taxis and vans are

SAS charges the same to go to POM or "downtown" hotels...which would be the one I suggested....Holiday Inn..one person minus luggage could get off there and the other could continue the 4 minutes to the ship with the lugggage

.from the person who got off walk to CVS Pharmacy

buy the wine...walk back to Holiday Inn and grab a cab

IF you knew this area of Miami, you would realize there is no where for a cab to "wait">..there is a lot of traffic

there is no parking lot..this is high rises, office buildings, and $7.50 or $8 to park signs...but read those signs..that is for 15 minutes...:eek:

now...you might try to have one of the people "hitch" on to a semi filled van going out and get dropped back at CVS and they could either call a cab from there or walk over to a hotel (Holiday Inn) and take a cab

You could even email SAS and see IF they would be willing to do the drop one person deal

so here are the options that work >>

1 dropped off at Holiday Inn...goes to CVS cabs back

or ....go to port, 1 person tries to get in a shared van , offer 5 or 10 bucks to be dropped off near CVS walks over, gets wine and cabs back

Cabs back >> walk to Holiday Inn, catch cab or shared van back over to Port

or call a cab

This will also all be much easier if you have someone who speaks Spanish

(ducking LOL)

Archived