What's the latest you can embark?

We are flying in on the same day as our cruise, the flight lands at 11:30am and the boat sails at 5:00pm, in case of some unforeseen fight delay, what's the latest time that they'll let you embark for a 5:00pm sailing in Ft. Lauderdale?

We are flying in on the same day as our cruise, the flight lands at 11:30am and the boat sails at 5:00pm, in case of some unforeseen fight delay, what's the latest time that they'll let you embark for a 5:00pm sailing in Ft. Lauderdale?

Have you booked your air through the cruise line?? If so they will have to wait for you regardless.

I know in our 1st cruise with RCCL ( great time after we got on board) we were the last ones to get on board. Nobody really to welcome us, no fanfare, missed the muster drill and had to hustle to get dressed for dinner.

In fact we got on board and they kicked the gangway into the water and sailed away. I think we actually boarded at 4:45?

But we had our air and transfers booked through RCCL so they had to wait.

Really, they can't wait indefinately for late arriving passengers regardless if air was booked through RCI. There is still a schedule to keep, so there is a point in time that the ship must leave in order to reach it's appointed stops.

RCI's website says if you don't show up an hour before, then you will not be allowed to board.

From the website;

How early do I need to leave?

You should plan to arrive at the pier at least two hours before the ship is scheduled to depart. Boarding times vary by itinerary. It is your responsibility to arrive on time. In preparation for prompt departure, cruise check-in will close 60 minutes prior to sailing. Guests arriving after this time will not be permitted to board.

Really, they can't wait indefinately for late arriving passengers regardless if air was booked through RCI. There is still a schedule to keep, so there is a point in time that the ship must leave in order to reach it's appointed stops.

Agree cruiseman! And, I thought you had to be onboard an hour before. :confused:

I've had to run through airports to catch my connections, wait for hours (longest was 24) for my luggage to "catch up" with me, and have had flights cancelled at the last minute. Flying in on the same day would be too stressful for me :eek:

It doesn't matter what time of the year you are flying, the weather all over affects most flights/airlines - even if you have a direct flight. Spring snow storms in Denver, monsoons during the summer in Arizona, tornados in the midwest (what is the time-frame, year round? lol), hurricanes....June through what, November?

What am I missing fellow posters :confused: ;)

:D

###

weather? mechanical delays? ground holds? traffic jams on the way to and from the airport? overbooked flights?

Those are NOTHING compared to the pure frustration of dealing with USAIR NOT FEELING LIKE STAFFING THEIR WORK CREWS APPROPRIATELY AND MISSING YOUR CHANCE TO GET TO FLORIDA BECAUSE THEY JUST AREN'T FLYING!!!!!

Carol

Our first cruise was for our 25th anniversary. We flew into FLL on the same day as the cruise. After being grounded in Atlanta for an uncomfortable amount of time and then waiting forever for the RCI shuttle bus to show up, we got to our room as they were beginning the muster drill.

I will never cut it that close again and will always fly in at least a day before. The only cloud in that silver lining was that there was absolutely no line in the RCI terminal. It took literally less than 5 minutes to be on the ship!!

Jim M

Thanks for the replies. :) I wasn't sure if we had to be there two hours ahead or one hour ahead in order to be allowed to board. I'm sure we'll be onboard by 1:00pm since we are doing carry-ons and it's a direct flight from Boston (four night cruise, don't worry we'll have enough clothes). I just wanted to make sure. We would come in a day early if it was possible, but it's not. ;)

If it helps, on my first cruise on the Enchantment in 2000, there were all sorts of air delays due to bad winter weather on the east coast. Ship was scheduled to leave at 5:00 p.m. Ship ended up leaving after 8:00 (on our late dinner seating, we still had not reached "open water"). They waited because the group in question had air booked through RCI. Needless to say, as soon as this group boarded, the ship was underway. The luggage eventually caught up to the group at our first port.....2 1/2 days later!! RCI, for their part, though, gave each passenger in that group a credit at their gift shop(s) for clothing.

Archived