Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

No!! As others have stated elsewhere, this is nothing more than a photo op. It's a total PIA trying to go anywhere on the ship during "Elegant Night".

Kind of new to Cruise Critic, but not cruising. 3 cruise lines, Carnival will be our 4th in 2013.

And yes, my wife & I enjoy dressing up. We really could care less

what others are wearing, and it does not matter to us at all what

we wear during our everyday lives. Its our vacation. So when it comes

to formal / elegant nights, to us its about enjoying 'the experience' and the

tone we set for ourselves during those particular evenings.

Its not about one aspect of the evening, (such as the MDR) but every aspect of the entire evening.

We are not wealthy, nor do we eat out often, go to comedy clubs, go dancing or bars.

But we enjoy treating ourselves to a night out when cruising. Pampering ourselves

so to speak. Some may go to the spa to be pampered, some may like to dress

up and 'dine out'.

Dining out, formal/elegant evenings used to be something

special on board cruise ships.

Sadly however, I see it has become secondary, as I witness many

simply not into it because they are either more concerned

what others are wearing, or they are on vacation & want to relax, or they wear

nice clothing everyday to work, and so on & so on..

There are many reasons. Not excuses. And everyone is entitled to theirs.

But I personally feel that I am spending quite a lot of money for the

vacation & investing a lot of time planning, and I want to attempt

to enjoy or take part in, as much as possible. I am not trying to say that

I want to get my money's worth, just wanting to take part.

In my humble opinion, & our personal preference, it comes down to a few things; dining out that evening,

setting the tone for the evening, romantic, fun, exciting or otherwise, and

enjoying an aspect of a cruise experience that should be kept alive. I am not

saying that the clothing you wear should or has to set a particular tone

or setting for an evening of fun. People can enjoy themselves no matter what

they wear, or feel comfortable in. So please don't flame me.

Anyway ya slice it, formal / elegant evenings are what you wish to make of it.

Its your holiday, you can choose to participate or not.

The bottom line is, my wife and I view formal / elegant evenings

as a 'Night Out On The Town'..

So sorry I rambled.. Take care, I hope everyone has a terrific day!

I like dressing up. It is different then the everyday evenings we have at home.

I don't find it a nuisance at all. The clothes I want are in the room and ready to go. I don't have to worry about getting in the car and getting all wrinkled. Just walk out of the stateroom and you are there.

Our family of 6 are heading on the Spirit this summer and I can't wait to get a few good photos of us, since it is so hard to get us together.

If people look like dregs in the diningroom then I would love Carnival to ask them to leave. I actually enjoy people watching and when I see someone dressed like crap I wonder if the mirrors were removed from their rooms prior to embarktation.

I like dressing up. It is different then the everyday evenings we have at home.

I don't find it a nuisance at all. The clothes I want are in the room and ready to go. I don't have to worry about getting in the car and getting all wrinkled. Just walk out of the stateroom and you are there.

Our family of 6 are heading on the Spirit this summer and I can't wait to get a few good photos of us, since it is so hard to get us together.

If people look like dregs in the diningroom then I would love Carnival to ask them to leave. I actually enjoy people watching and when I see someone dressed like crap I wonder if the mirrors were removed from their rooms prior to embarktation.

What's a dreg and what do they look like?

Good for you. Glad you enjoy dressing for 'Elegant Night'. We don't do 'Elegant Night', but we also don't go to the MDR those nights. We leave it to those like yourself who enjoy it.

I lke to people watch too. It is something to see on 'Elegant Night' those who THINK they are dressed 'elegantly'.

Guess they have no mirrors either.

Good for you. Glad you enjoy dressing for 'Elegant Night'. We don't do 'Elegant Night', but we also don't go to the MDR those nights. We leave it to those like yourself who enjoy it.

I lke to people watch too. It is something to see on 'Elegant Night' those who THINK they are dressed 'elegantly'.

Guess they have no mirrors either.

True. Some people's versions of "elegant" make cut off shorts look good.

Dressing up was kind of fun on our first few cruises, but were just not into it anymore. We just go to the buffet on those nights. I'm glad that CCL still has the option for those that do like to dress up.

Barry

We LOVE to dress for dinner! We live in Florida where almost no one even dresses up for work (too hot for suits and stockings). It gives us an excuse to break out the sparkles and tuxedo. We don't "do" the formal night pics normally...at least we haven't so far. Everyone can have their vacation how they choose, but imho I wish those who go to the MDR on elegant night would at least wear slacks and a button up shirt/ skirt or dress. Again, just my opinion.

Did it on our first cruise but not since then. Nothing against it but I'm a music teacher and music performer and I have to get dressed up a lot for events. We just prefer to spend the time we'd be getting dressed up on deck in a chair watching the ocean :D

Although we have dressed up in the past for formal nights, I don't really enjoy it. I've always thought it was silly that you have to wear a suit and tie to eat steak (or lobster) on certain nights in the MDR. Sometimes at home, getting dressed for dinner means putting on pants. We are not by nature people that like to dress up for dinner, but will if it's absolutely a requirement. For our next cruise, we're going to do any time dining, and skip the MDR on Formal nights, and skip the photographers too. We like to go on a cruise to relax and have fun. We don't feel the need to dress up to impress people or pose for the onboard paparazzi. But that's just us.

The word "dreg" is a word used in my extended family, and it really has meaning only to us. In its basic definition it means "out of place". This is only our word and truly means nothing to anyone else. I know people's idea of dressing up is subjective and that is why I leave it to Carnival to enforces their own policy, but they don't.

To explain what "dreg" looks like, I suppose it could be described as attire appropriate for ballparks, pick up games on athletic fields, and very informal settings. A very popular mans tee shirt or t shirts in general with large graphics to ME is not great looking for the dining room, but it is what it is.

It does not ruin my evening in anyway but I do find the dress interesting.

Edited by jetsfan

Our first couple of cruises I loved it although DH and DS's did not. The past few cruises it is the only night that they wear long pants to the dining room and have relaxed the tie thing. I think as long as they look presentable I am ok with it. We would usually eat and run back to the cabin to get something more comfortable on so the formal wear never lasted too long.

With the exception of the very first night I dress up every night for dinner. Just my preference. So yes I do enjoy it.

Same here! Our next cruise will more than likely be on NCL, but I will still be dressing up every night. It's fun. :)

As long as my husband of 35 years says "wow" as I turn the corner in my evening dress, I will be dressing up.:)

That is so sweet, put such a big smile on my face! I hope y'all have many more of those moments in life. :)

Ok, so i see that most like or LOVE the elegant night...lol

No problem with that

No, I think there's probably a strong selection bias in the responders on both the love-it or hate-it side. If you look at the number of people who are absent from the MDR on formal/elegant night, and the trend toward fewer and less formal elegant nights over the years, then toss in the folks who go along but don't particularly care for them, I suspect that most don't LOVE elegant night.

But this is coming from someone who will dress up for work (in the days before I was successful enough to set my own standards), other people's weddings/funerals, and for cruise elegant night) but who didn't wear a tie at his wedding. If as an experiment one of the dining rooms had elegant night, and the other didn't but served the same menu I know which one my family would pick.

The word "dreg" is a word used in my extended family, and it really has meaning only to us. In its basic definition it means "out of place". This is only our word and truly means nothing to anyone else. [/font][/color]

Your specific usage may be unique but it's actually a pretty common term "the dregs of society" that others may interpret more pejoratively than you intended if overheard.

Main Entry: dregs of society

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: despicable people

Synonyms: offscourings of society, one-percenters, rabble, riffraff, rubbish, scum of the earth, swinish multitude, trash, undesirables, vermin

Edited by John1928

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

We actually really enjoy it:D My DH loves getting dressed up, his job is in construction so he doesn't get to dress up much, so we really have a good time with it!!!!