Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

He may not complain, but it doesn't mean he likes it.

Not all guys hate dressing up...but not getting into a debate on whether or not they do. All I know is my guy does like to get dressed up :D

Edited by cawagner

I will wear my tux on elegant/formal nights on Celebrity, HAL and maybe Princess if it's a longer cruise, but not on Carnival. I'll just wear a jacket and tie and often still feel overdressed, it's just a different atmosphere.

In a word, NO. I would rather not dress up. I don't even like prime rib, shrimp, or lobster; but have to dress to accompany the rest of the family that does. I would much rather go to the buffet to get my chicken breast on formal nights. sigh...

I'm a retired musician and own two tuxedos - one is a set of tails. It's no big thing to dress up for formal night, and it adds a bit of class to the dining experience. Most of the ladies like it and IMO it adds to the cruise experience. Never could understand why some people thought it was so much trouble to dress up.

I am not a big fan of formal night but we do dress up and go to elegant night. It is a nice time to get a few pictures with us both dressed up.

But when it is not formal night I wear shorts to the dining room each night :p

I would be fine if there was only one elegant night on a 7 day cruise. Especially if you have 4 ports.

I had said that before; I think most people (except my wife) consider the 2nd elegant night to be a nuissance, especially if on a port day. I think the only people that like it (besides my wife) are the photographers.

I had said that before; I think most people (except my wife) consider the 2nd elegant night to be a nuissance, especially if on a port day. I think the only people that like it (besides my wife) are the photographers.

I am with your wife then. I love it. I actually dress up every night. I take 3 or 4 dresses and then different accessories and mix and match. Not that anyone cares if I wear the same dress to dinner twice.

Edited by usafchick1980

I am with your wife then. I love it. I actually dress up every night. I take 3 or 4 dresses and then different accessories and mix and match. Not that anyone cares if I wear the same dress to dinner twice.

By the 2nd formal night (which is usually a port day), I'm usually tired from the activities during the day, and am usually sunburned, and, since it's near the end of the cruise, I'm dreading going back to work in a few days.

Someone mentioned they were "cutting back" on elegant night because of the "baggage fee" on their airline, and I understand.

Maybe you aren't able to fly Southwest (no I do not work for this airline), but I always do because of the NO fee bag policy. It really saves, and I can still do my formal wear.:)

This is "just my humble opinion", but... I personally believe that every man secretly enjoys looking good for their woman. Even if it just for one night!!!! It's OK guys.......y'all can fess up.......we won't take away your man card.....promise.:D The women can chime in now in support!!!!

Everyone in our family, men and women both, likes the formal (aka Elegant) Night. Wouldn't want more than 1 per 7 day, but we enjoy dressing up one night. One night of being "festive". Something different. Last cruise my grandson LOVED wearing a suit (only 6 yr old) and behaved like a perfect gentleman ...over the top... the entire evening (must have been something about the suit and tie??). But we enjoy it.

Everyone in our family, men and women both, likes the formal (aka Elegant) Night. Wouldn't want more than 1 per 7 day, but we enjoy dressing up one night. One night of being "festive". Something different. Last cruise my grandson LOVED wearing a suit (only 6 yr old) and behaved like a perfect gentleman ...over the top... the entire evening (must have been something about the suit and tie??). But we enjoy it.

That's my point! You love the formal nights, but even you want only 1 of them on a 7 night cruise, unlike the 2 that Carnival has.

Our elegant night was last night (we're in KW now) and almost everyone was dressed up really well. We were in nice clothes but no one was out of dress code limits.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

My wife and I personally like elegant nights(s) on cruises. We normally dress up when we go out to dinner anyway when we are home. Suit for me, nice dress for my wife. Elegant night gives me a chance to use my tux that gets used maybe 3 times a year.

My wardrobe only consists of golf clothes and suits, so I don't mind it at all. We dress up every night on the cruise ships for dinner.

I can also see where some look at it as they are on holiday and don't want to have to be bothered to pack those sort of clothes or wear them at any point. To each their own and I respect that of course.

As I said, my wife and I enjoy doing that and it is just something we always do. Plus, I like to put my best foot forward when we go out for an evening. Nothing wrong with men wanting to look nice for their significant others. And, I just like the look and feel of a suit when we step out for the evening.

Our elegant night was last night (we're in KW now) and almost everyone was dressed up really well. We were in nice clothes but no one was out of dress code limits.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

Lucky you! Love KW! :)

I wear scrubs every day to work, so it is nice to celebrate vacation by dressing up. DH wears his suit, but different tie. I wear a gown for the first night, and dressy other outfit for the second formal night. I wear some sparkly tops the rest of the week while DH wears Khakis and button dress shirt. Makes vacation time more special.

I kinda do like elegant night. I was at the mall the other day and saw the cutest dress at Express. I wasn't going to get it because I thought I had no where to wear it to. Then I thought that I could wear it on elegant night on my upcoming cruise. So for me, elegant night lets me wear cute dresses that I normally wouldn't get a chance to wear.

I asked DH what he thought of elegant night and he said he was indifferent. He goes along with itbe cause that it just what you do on a cruise (his words). He usually just wears dress pants, dress shirt and sometimes a tie. He hasn't worn a suit on a Carnival cruise in years.

• 1 month later...

So, to all you husbands who dress up for your wives on elegant night, thank you!:)

But it should go both ways:

1. If you're a woman, don't complain that it's too cold to wear an outfit that your husband wants you to wear, if you are expecting him to wear a suit when it is hot out.

2. Don't constantly brag about how nice the temperature feels when you know your husband is overheated in a suit.

i like too look nice but also feel comfortable. a great pant outfit, cocktail dress or blingy top with pants are what i wear. i love too see others all dressed up too the nine's and i applaude them for taking the steps too go all out that way. it is a personal preference.

I can take it or leave it.

Used to love it when the DH and I were young and falling in love...now we just like to be comfortable and have been in love for many, many, many, years!:D Also, we have lots of opportunities to get dressed up if and when we really want to.;)

• 5 years later...

Have to say I enjoy it, but when sailing with my almost 93 year old Dad, every night is somewhat formal. He does a tux or dinner jacket on Formal nights, but always has a jacket for all other nights. Gotta keep up with Dad!a31b3608e6f5e78899bdab5560946a7c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums