EXERCISING?-After Hip Replacement???

Hi everyone, this is a little off topic but still in the exercising and losing weight catagory. I used to work out, I used to walk miles and I used to weigh 62 lbs. less. Now I am 5 weeks away from a total hip replacement and am looking so forward to not only being out of pain but being able to enjoy life again with more "movement".

For those of you who have had total hip replacements what were you able to do and not do again after you had your rehabilitation? As stated I loved to walk and expect I will do it again, but I also did the Leslie Sansone "video" tapes at home. There's a lot of back and forths and side to sides to do, and some "grapevines" is this OK or not???

Any and all helpful information will be greatly appreciated, cheers! :)

I had a total hip replacement in 2006 and I think I am fine. My doctor told me not to run and not to twist my leg too far back ( like heel to butt). I am not in pain and not otherwise restricted. If I walk too much my hip aches a bit. But if I lost 40 pounds or so, it would not hurt I think. Good luck on your surgery and look forward to life without pain.

Although you'll eventually be able to safely and comfortably do movements that you describe, grapevine and other lateral hip movements, they will be a no-no for some time after hip replacement. The risk of hip dislocation is greater with those movements following surgery.

But, you'll get plenty of safe exercises post op, that you can (& need) to perform from the nurses and physical therapists. I know it is difficult to lose weight right now, but the less weight you are carrying during recovery, the better off you'll be. Good luck!

I would think it would be different for every patient?

Not to be blunt, but wouldn't your doctor or physical therapist advise you according to your needs?

Thanks to all of you that replied. Yes, I know I'm in for a lot of Rehab. and exercises and it will be a long-haul. Just wanted to get an idea of what others were able to do Post-Op. I really loved doing the Leslie Sansone videos but figured that some of the lateral moves may be a no-no afterwards, may have to modify.

My big wish Post-Op is to be able to walk long distances again. My Hubbie and I are just "itching" to go back to London and walk the streets of our favorite City. But, like most European/Overseas travel it's a LOT of walking, I used to wear my pedometer and 12/15 miles a day was the norm. Thanks again, :)

Archived