My Bermuda Experience (very long)

darkangel_55

Hi to all! I got back from my first trip to Bermuda and thought I would write a little about it, what I did and what I thought.

First of all I just want to say that Bermuda is BEAUTIFUL ! ! I loved all of it from the minute I saw it to the minute we left, with the exception of the rain, but more on that later.

My boyfriend and I sailed on the Norwegian Crown out of Philly, 4/24 - 5/1. This cruise was mine and his first, and neither of us had been to Bermuda before. I did my research before hand, checking on line and asking people I know about their experiences on the island. Our seas were a bit rough on the way down, a lot of people got sick on the ship, but it was all worth it when we got there.

St. George was our first stop.(4/26) Being on the smaller ship we were able to go through the cut, which was one of the reasons we sailed on the Crown. The town crier was out to greet us, as we were the first ship in this season. I am pretty sure he goes out for all of them though, that is what I heard. There was a class of kids by him as well and they were all yelling "Welcome to Bermuda" it was GREAT. After getting off the ship, we bought 3 day bus passes for $28 pp unlimited on the busses and ferries which I thought was a good deal. We definatly got our money worth.

We walked around St. George, literally. If you start at the unfinished cathedrial, follow the signs up to Fort St. Catherine, on the way you pass Tobacco Bay. Pass the bay on your left, follow the road and you will see Fort St. Catherine on your left as well. If you keep following the same road, always keeping the shore on your left, you will pass some nice houses, and extremly nice people. There is a moongate entrance to the walkway of one of the houses, that my boyfriend took a picture of me standing in. If you follow that road it eventually leads you to Alexandra Bay. I found some great sea glass there. It was all over the place. We rested there for a bit and then continued down the road. Our next stop was the fort by the cut where the ship went through. It is where the kids and the town crier were standing. After that, back on the same road again, and eventually you are back in the heart of St. George. You will pass Somers Garden on your right, there is a moongate in there as well. There is also some beautiful flowers in there as well. After that we took bus #11 to BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) and spent some time there. It is small but very interesting. It is $10 pp to get in. I learned some neat stuff about Bermuda in the Museum part. We then took the #10 bus back to the ship. We had to wait a while for the bus on the way back because it was rush hour and all the busses were full. 3 of them passed us before the 4th one finally had some standing room.

If you aren't sure where to get off (the bus stops aren't marked with anything but a pole) either ask the bus driver to let you know where to get off, or ask someone on the bus. I learned that Bermudians are extremly kind and polite.

Our next stop was Hamilton (4/27) It is a LOT busier the St. George, by far. I wasn't expecting this at all. After walking around to see some of the stained glass in the churches, we got on the #1 bus and headed to Crystal Caves. There are actually 2 caves that you go in, Crystal and Fantsea. They are both really cool to go into. We had GREAT guides for both so they made it interesting. After that we walked up the block to the Swizzle Inn and ate lunch. We then took the #3 bus back to Hamilton. A bit later we got on the #7 and took it to Elbow Bay, and about halfway there the clouds started to roll in and it wasn't sunny at all by the time we got there. That night was the first "Harbour Nights" so there were street vendors and some of the tourist shops were open as well.

Our last stop was the Royal Navy Dockyard (King's Wharf) (4/28 - 4/29) It was raining from when we got off the ship about 10 on the 28th to about 2 on the same day. We were able to dodge some rain and get wet by some and do some shopping in the Craft Market, the Glass Blowing and Rum Cake factories and the Clocktower shops. In the afternoon after it cleared up we took a ferry to Hamilton to do some more shopping (direct route about 20 minutes) On the way back from Hamilton that night we took another ferry, which took about an hour but it was the "senic" route and made more stops. Friday morning we got upa nd just wandered around for a bit before the ship left.

Other then that, everything was GREAT.

*~Pamela~*

Hi, Pamela. Awesome review of Bermuda. Sounds like you really did your homework. I'm trying to make a list of what I haven't seen in Bermuda and it's going to be a lot. As you can see, we sail on June 4. Thanks for the very helpful info. I'll mention this thread on my website.

Great review of Bermuda! Thanks....we leave Saturday on The Zenith. I can't wait. I printed out your post....it should come in handy for us! Now.....tell us about your experience on the ship?? Did you enjoy your first cruise as much as you enjoyed Bermuda??:)

Curious as to what the temperatures were like.

Tuesday in St. George was our hottest day...about 72 - 74

Wednesday in Hamilton was slightly cooler about 65 - 70 (it was partly cloudy all day)

Thursday was the strangest day (Dockyard) It rained in the morning till about 2 so it was about 60-65 and then in the afternoon it warmed up a little to probably about 70.

Friday morning was BEAUTIFUL (of course we left at 11am) but it was 72 when we left (according to the captain)

Hope this helps!

*~Pamela~*

Wow, it sounds like you guys had a great time. I am sailing to Bermuda via Balt. on 6/5/2005. Were the native Bermudians friendly folks ???

I went to Bermuda last year. Based on my experience, the people were the friendliest I've encountered in any country. Just be aware that public interactions are more formal and "polite" than we're used to in the U.S.

It was a lovely place. I think you'll enjoy it very much.

Wow, it sounds like you guys had a great time. I am sailing to Bermuda via Balt. on 6/5/2005. Were the native Bermudians friendly folks ???

The people in Bermuda were extremly kind and polite. They are willing to help as best they can if you ask a question. They are respectful and all around amazing. That was one of the perks about the island.

*~Pamela~*

Thanks for the inspiring review. We're going out of NYC on the Crown Jun 5 (our 2nd cruise). I haven't been to Bermuda for 34 years; DH has never been. I just hope the temps are a little warmer. I was wondering if it's better to go to Crystal Caves from St. George or Hamilton?

St. George was our first stop. After getting off the ship, we bought 3 day bus passes for $28 pp unlimited on the busses and ferries which I thought was a good deal. We definatly got our money worth.

*~Pamela~*

Hi, thank you for you review. I was curious on where/who you bought your 3 day bus & ferry ticket from in St. George? I have always bought ours in Hamilton at the terminal. We will be on the Crown in July. Buying the ticket first day would be great! Thanks for all the information.

Sherrie

This is among the best posts I have seen on Bermuda -- thank you for sharing your comments and suggestions. We've wanted to do our own walking tour in St. George, and you have given us some wonderful ideas. (Last time we were there, our son was a year-and-a-half old. He's almost 12 now, so I think we'll be OK. :) )Thank you!

Great review. Was it warm enough to comfortably go swimming at one of the beaches. We're thinking about going to Bermuda the 1st or 2nd week of May 2006 and was wondering if the weather was nice enough to go swimming.

Great review. Was it warm enough to comfortably go swimming at one of the beaches. We're thinking about going to Bermuda the 1st or 2nd week of May 2006 and was wondering if the weather was nice enough to go swimming.

Sailed out of Boston on May 9, 1999, arriving in Bermuda on May 11. Went in the water every day we were there, and it was WONDERFUL! You'll have no worries about water temps in May. Go have a ball! :D

Pepper

Great review of Bermuda....My husband and I have been there before but at this time he is having some trouble walking alot because of rheumatoid arthritis. Any help you could give would be appreciated on the best way to enjoy Bermuda, beaches etc. and not have to do alot of walking would be appreciated. We're heading out on NCL Crown on June 5th out of NYC. Thanks

My husband and I have been there before but at this time he is having some trouble walking alot because of rheumatoid arthritis. Any help you could give would be appreciated on the best way to enjoy Bermuda, beaches etc. and not have to do alot of walking would be appreciated.

I don't know if cruise ships supply wheelchairs but it would be a handy way to get around Hamilton if you want to walk around a lot. That said, cruise ships in Hamilton dock right at Front Street so you don't have to walk too far to get to the major stores. To go to the beach I'd advise taking a taxi as buses don't stop right at the beach whereas a taxi can take you much closer. St Georges is not a big town so not a lot of walking is required to see much of it. If you're experienced with driving a scooter/motorcycle then consider renting one as this will also get you close to any major attraction or beach without a lot of walking.

• 2 months later...
We walked around St. George, literally. If you start at the unfinished cathedrial, follow the signs up to Fort St. Catherine, on the way you pass Tobacco Bay. Pass the bay on your left, follow the road and you will see Fort St. Catherine on your left as well. If you keep following the same road, always keeping the shore on your left, you will pass some nice houses, and extremly nice people. There is a moongate entrance to the walkway of one of the houses, that my boyfriend took a picture of me standing in. If you follow that road it eventually leads you to Alexandra Bay. I found some great sea glass there. It was all over the place. We rested there for a bit and then continued down the road. Our next stop was the fort by the cut where the ship went through. It is where the kids and the town crier were standing. After that, back on the same road again, and eventually you are back in the heart of St. George.
Pamela, thank you again for your excellent post. This is how we spent our first day in Bermuda on our 8/14 Norwegian Majesty cruise. We also included a tour of Fort St. Catherine, which was superb. It was a fabulous walk, and one of the highlights of our trip. Thank you again for posting.

Archived