Flying in to Chicago and Amtrak to New Orleans

focus

Lots like you've got some really good advice regarding this journey. I would just add that I've experienced Amtrak's problems with lateness, and pretty much assume it will happen. Since the train is not scheduled to arrive till 3:00 PM, and will be spending the night in New Orleans, then this probably won't be a problem, even if it was four or five hours late.

I would also agree with the people who have recommended getting a sleeper. It will add quite a bit to the price (from $194 to $394 for the cabin, based on a journey in November), but in my opinion is worth the extra for the increased comfort and enjoyment. Having the availability of a shower is very nice!

If there are just two of you, and you get a Superliner Roomette, be advised that they are quite small, and are tight quarters for two people. If you can pack so you each just have a carry-on type of bag with you in the roomette, that would probably work best. You can store your additional luggage on board, either in the sleeper car, or in the luggage car.

The trains are double-decker, and my experience is that you can't book the specific cabin location, only choose the type of cabin.

Have a wonderful trip!

Add me as a cruiser who give a thumbs up to Amtrak...and yes, I am one of those in the "don't like to fly" category. We have sailed from New Orleans and taken the train (from central Iowa). We had a wonderful trip, the train was on time, and as mentioned by others, we've found it a very relaxing way to travel, as long as you prepare for the possibilty of late arrival, and have the luxury of extra time. Food in the dining car, especially the steak dinner, is usually excellent, as is the breakfast omelette! We have travelled to Florida and Los Angeles by train for cruises, and next winter are going to Galveston. We consider the train as part of the vacation, and have always met many interesting people along the way.

As for luggage, the roomettes are small for two adults, but a carry-on size bag will fit fine in your compartment. There will be a luggage storage area on the lower level of the sleeping care where you can leave your larger bags if you decide not to check them.

There is a wonderful forum that has loads of information about Amtrak travel...if you google "amtrak unlimited forum" you will find it...not affiliated with Amtrak, but full of good people who will answer all of your questions!

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Cindy

Hi Everybody,

Have just booked a cruise from New Orleans. Will be flying out of Manchester UK to Chicago, one night in Crowne Plaza, Magnificent Mile then Amtrak down to New Orleans and one night in Ritz Carlton.

Would love to hear about anyone's experiences of this pre-cruise route

If anyone has any advise/tips re any of the hotels or train journey would also love to read them.

Cheers

We have done Amtrak from Dallas to Chicago and then Chicago to Reno....it was a big mistake and we would never do it again. We had the largest bedroom available and it was miserable....if I were you I would fly down....yes the scenery was great BUT besides being cramped and the awful food our train hit a car.....never again.....

Thanks for all the comments.

Just wondered about the luggage, for security I would guess it's safest in the luggage car but just wondered how secure is the luggage storage in the carriage

Any advantages/disadvantages either way.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the comments.

Just wondered about the luggage, for security I would guess it's safest in the luggage car but just wondered how secure is the luggage storage in the carriage

Any advantages/disadvantages either way.

Cheers!

The luggage is stored by the doors on the lower level. Each sleeping car has an attendant, who is outside of the doors at each stop. However, they aren't specifically checking luggage as people leave the train. I haven't been too worried about deliberate theft, but there is always the possibility that people may grab the wrong bag. An advantage of having your luggage in the sleeper car is that you do have access to it, but I think it would be more secure in the luggage car.

Amtrak market's the sleeper cars as a First Class experience, recalling the Golden Age of rail travel. Sadly, I can't say that has been my experience. Here is a link to a review I wrote on TripAdvisor about a long-distance rail journey on Amtrak in 2011: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28926-d219566-r105518668-Coast_Starlight-California.html

If you're looking for a video tour of a roomette check out this video on YouTube.

The narrator does a good job of showing you the features. You also get an idea of the size, though the hardest thing is when you close the door, there is very little room to change or move around once the beds are down.

If you're looking for a video tour of a roomette check out this video on YouTube.
The narrator does a good job of showing you the features. You also get an idea of the size, though the hardest thing is when you close the door, there is very little room to change or move around once the beds are down.

Oh my...just watching this makes me claustrophobic. No way!

Thanks again for all the comments, it will be an experience, although we never thought it would be a "first class" one in such a compact room.

One more query, do Amtrak provide towels?

Thanks again

Sent from my Liquid MT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks again for all the comments, it will be an experience, although we never thought it would be a "first class" one in such a compact room.

One more query, do Amtrak provide towels?

Thanks again

Yes they do provide towels and you can always ask your room steward for more.

Yes the room is small but it's an adventure and you can walk freely round the train and the viewing car!

It's only for one night - you just have to work out who's getting on the top bunk!! ;)

Thanks for such a quick response.

Sadly I think it will be me in the top bunk. :-(

Once you've made the journey it would be very interesting if you would post a review back, with your thoughts on how it went.

• 4 weeks later...

We took the City of New Orleans from Champaign, IL to NOLA in March and back for our cruise on Voyager. I was really looking forward to the train trip. Had done lots of research on that route, times, etc. Long story short, probably won't travel overnight by train again. Too hard to sleep (we had a roomette), kitchen was out of commission on trip down, tracks in Mississippi are some of the worst in the country, old outdated equipment, and on and on. Day travel on Amtrak is not bad, but I will definitely never do an overnight-er again.

I would have to agree, it is not walking distance from the train station to the port. If you are staying at the Ritz, you will need a cab to the hotel, and another cab the next day to the port. That is too far to walk with luggage. The sidewalks are not smooth for rolling luggage.

• 7 months later...

On our recent cruise (Navigator of the Seas) out of New Orleans on 23 November we decided to opt for the addition of flying into Chicago on 21 November and taking the 8pm train out of Chicago on 22nd "The City Of New Orleans".

Our biggest mistake was flying into Chicago the day before Thanksgiving! Arrived Chicago O'Hare around midday, arrived hotel in downtown Chicago 5.30pm.

We arrived at Chicago Union Station around 6.30pm as there wasn't much to do in Chicago once the procession had finished. After checking in and handing in our suitcases at the ticket counter, we were nicely surprised to learn that we had access to the special waiting room. (As we had a pre-booked roomette booked by our travel operator)

At around 7.15 we were allowed to board the train.

engine.jpg

The City of New Orleans in Chicago Union Station

We were lucky to have our roomette situated on the upper floor of the carriage. For sitting the space was ample as you had seats facing each other with a table in between.

seated roomette.jpg

Having a roomette means all meals are included so shortly after departing Chicago we sat down to a turkey dinner (well it was still Thanksgiving after all!) Whilst we were eating the car attendant converted our seats into beds for us.

sleepingposition.jpg

Having very little hand luggage with you is definitely a bonus as there ain't much room when the bunk beds are insitu and the door closed. The table folds away and the lower seats unfold into the lower bunk and the top one is just pulled down.

notmuchroom.jpg

(note the space between the door and bed - not alot)

It sure does pay not to have too much to drink as going to the toilet can present some difficulties especially if you happen to be in the top bunk (although I managed it without too much problem). This was demonstrated by a person in a roomette in the same car as us. There was a heck of a rumpus during the night and the attendant had to get assisitance to help dislodge the individual and clean up the roomette afterwards. (probably too much information here)

How about sleeping? Well I'm not the most deep sleeper and didn't get much as you could hear the engines horn every several minutes as we charged along heading for Memphis.

We arrived in Memphis around 6am and had the opportunity to get off and walk along the platform. Strange station, Memphis, could not see a station sign with the name on anywhere.

memphis.jpg

Memphis Station

Back on the train shortly followed by breakfast in the dining car. From Memphis the rails are single track which presents it's own problems. several miles before we reached ********* the train ground to a halt. A goods train coming the the opposite direction had gone into a siding to let us pass but it was too long for the siding and blocked our way. We had to just sit there for an hour or so until the train following us down the track caught us up and freed the track so the train in the siding could pull out and free our route.

We had lunch and watched the changing countryside pass by as we approached the delta and New Orleans.

Miraculously we were on time in New Orleans. Why? because an additional hour or so is inbuilt into the timetables. Clever or what?

OK the journey is obviously not for everyone but we enjoyed the experience and might even do it again one day. Who knows!

@wowzo My pleasure

Two images could not include above, apparently limited to 6 per post.

Taken at ********* Mississippi after the delay.

That's weird everytime I time the name of the next station after Memphis it blanks the name out, goodness knows why.

Its Green wood MS by the way (should be no space after green obviously)

gwood1.jpg

gwood2.jpg

Thanks for the review, brought back good memories when we went to florida from chicago on Amtrak :)

Glad you enjoyed it , I too didn't sleep much but that was because I was soo excited and kept looking out the window to see where we were going :o

I too didn't sleep much but that was because I was soo excited and kept looking out the window to see where we were going :o

Lucky you, I had the top bunk, no view at all, no window, must try to bag the bottom bunk if we go again

Glad you liked the review

Archived