Haines and Skagway

slimsunshine

We are on the HAL 7 night Glacier discovery cruise from Seward to Vancouver dep 17th June '12.

We dock in Haines at 6.30am and depart 9pm.

As we will not be visiting Skagway by cruise ship do you think it possible to fit in a fast boat ferry to Skagway in the afternoon ? Any recommendation for companies that operate on this route? Is it worth it? or should we just concentrate on seeing everything Haines has to offer?

Any sggestions gratefully received.

We are on the HAL 7 night Glacier discovery cruise from Seward to Vancouver dep 17th June '12.

As we will not be visiting Skagway by cruise ship do you think it possible to fit in a fast boat ferry to Skagway in the afternoon ? Any recommendation for companies that operate on this route? Is it worth it? or should we just concentrate on seeing everything Haines has to offer?

I would suggest getting a morning ferry to Skagway and come back early.

We stopped in Haines with HAL people who used the ferry suggested that they should of come back on an earlier ferry.

I disagree with the above poster - few ships go to Haines. Stay there and make the most of your time. If you like a touristy town with international jewelry shops, Skagway is your place. If you like the more authentic Alaskan small town, local shops, and local flavor, stay in Haines. Haines has lots to offer. If it were me I would rent a car and drive into Canada. Beautiful drive. Great scenery. Back in Haines you can drive to the lake, possibly see bears (usually later in the year though), eat in one of the local places - Rusty Compass was one of my favorites - go to the Eagle Foundation (good exhibits and eagle feeding at times).

Archived