Is Miami/Caribbean T storms like Hawaii rain??

scrap4girls

Hi

Cruising next week and the weather for Maimi and West Caribbean says T storms and 60% chance of rain. Is the weather simiular to Hawaii?? In Hawaii and it rains every day but as soon as it arrives it leaves just as quickly. You don't have to change your plans becasue it only last minutes normally. What about Flordia Keys, Jamaica, and Caymans? I just hope it dosen't normally last hours and with T storms. Doesn't seem very safe to be on the beach with thunder storms... Can you please give me some insight? Thank you

Pretty much as you describe--tropical and sub-tropical rain storms are not all day events unless there is a larger system generating the rain. Most are afternoon or morning occurrences that don't last that long but can linger for a few hours--but remember--the temperature is still warm!

In Florida, the usual summer storm comes into being by the interaction of the sea breezes from west to east--or east to west--so they can be quite regular. But tropical thunder storms are spotty and don't cover an entire area--hence the 60 percent meaning 60 percent of the area may see a shower.

Hi

Cruising next week and the weather for Maimi and West Caribbean says T storms and 60% chance of rain. Is the weather simiular to Hawaii?? In Hawaii and it rains every day but as soon as it arrives it leaves just as quickly. You don't have to change your plans becasue it only last minutes normally. What about Flordia Keys, Jamaica, and Caymans? I just hope it dosen't normally last hours and with T storms. Doesn't seem very safe to be on the beach with thunder storms... Can you please give me some insight? Thank you

First of all, keep in mind that predicting the weather a week ahead is a best guess based on current conditions. As it gets closer to your sail date, say within a day or two, check again and you may find that the forecast has changed (hopefully for the better). Rain showers can pop up anywhere, so it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Take a rain poncho and/or a compact umbrella with you for visiting ports of call. On a previous cruise, we knew there was rain in the forecast for St. Thomas, so we took compact umbrellas with us. Good thing we did! We didn't get quite as soaked as those that weren't prepared. If there is a severe thunderstorm present when visiting one of the islands, I can't imagine that passengers would be allowed to go to a beach, for safety's sake. Hope you have perfect weather and a great cruise!

Hi

So far this month its been an overcast and drizzle all day type of rain down here when it does rain. Kinda crummy.

Well I am a little north of Miami but not that much.

Growing up in Miami in the summers we had rain every afternoon I would say. But it could soak you, not a light mist. Some of the showers in Hawaii seemed very short and light. Still, don't let a little rain ruin your trip. Pack some umbrellas and maybe if you want light weight ponchos.

pretty much. my mom and i landed in miami last week around 4:30pm and it POURED rain (that was suppose to be a 30% chance) it quit around 5pm. the next day 30% chance of rain, it clouded up and looked like it was going to rain around 4pm again...but it held off for sail away...thanks mother nature!

We always pack a small umbrella whenever we cruise and then keep it with our carry-on. Like the previous posters said - you can get soaked very quickly during a South Florida shower or thunderstorm. One of the worst thunderstorms I've experienced was at Fort Lauderdale - knocked out the baggage carousel (sp) system at the airport.

Archived