US banks with no-fee ATMS in Europe

fcleiser3

I supported my "Community Bank". It has since merged a couple of times or more and is no longer a "Community Bank". A local man has worked for six different banks without ever changing desks. I am not going to switch to a more local bank just to have them get bought out.

I do understand your postion and can relate more than you might imagine. There are some Community Banks that have been around for 90+ years, so there still might be hope.

For those of us who bank in Canada at the Bank of Nova Scotia please take note of the following.

Bank of Nova Scotia has agreements with these institions. If you use their ATM's, you pay no transaction fees: Bank of America in the USA, Barclays in the UK, BNP Parisbas in France, Deutsche Bank in Germany and at least one other elsewhere Australia), check the website for current info.

This is hardly comprehensive, but recent experience with a half dozen ATMs, always outside banks from Greece to Portugal resulted in no or quite low ATM fees charged by the banks and since my credit union does not charge for other ATM withdrawals it was a presumably low cost way to get Euros. IMO there may have been other undisclosed fees which simply reduced the pay-out. Bank charges were a whole lot less than I encounter in US using ATMs for banks like Chase, etc. Almost anything beats the ship exchange rate.

Ralph

It sounds to me like it would be a lot less trouble to simply take traveler's checks and cash them for Euro's on the ship at no charge. No need to waste time looking for banks. That's what I do anyway.

My bank has quit selling traveler's checks, much less euro traveler's checks. When it did sell them, they marked up the price by about 6% while still advertising "no fee". Although Holland America will encash US$ traveler's checks for free, I doubt they would do the same for euro traveler's checks. Perhaps European lines that use the euro as the onboard currency would encash euro traveler's checks without further fees.

I also use my Schwab debit card with Visa logo. It can be used at ATMs with no fees - Schwab charges no fee for using any ATM and they reimburse any fee charged by any ATM. Also, they charge no foreign transaction fee. I do not know how their conversion rate compares to others. This card can also be used for purchases wherever Visa is accepted. I will be interested to see if it's possible to use it in that way in the Baltic countries we'll be visiting.

• 2 weeks later...
Ditto for me. I have a Capital One Master Card which does not charge a transaction fee and gives a good exchange rate. I also have my Fidelity debit card which reimburses the ATM fees and also gives a good exchange rate if I need cash. Getting cash with the Fidelity debit card is a LOT cheaper than either getting currency before you go (which I usually get a little to start) or exchanging dollars at the exchange kiosks.

I never go to a foreign country without my Fidelity debit card - I had trouble getting a train ticket at the Florence train station several years they charged me & no ticket came out - there was on one around to talk to about it - the line was so long at the window - that I would miss my train if I waited - when I got home I called Fidelity and they refunded the charge - when we got to Philadelphia - went to an ATM at the airport - got $$ no fee:)

AMAZING.... and SOOOO Sad! No one here seems to support their "Community Bank", just the Mega banks, Mega Brokerage Companies and some larger credit unions.

Lot of people do; they just haven't posted about it.

Copied this link from The Points Guy that lists the major credit cards without foreign transaction fees. He also lists how many points/miles you can get from signing up for these cards.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/06/the-top-credit-cards-without-foreign-transaction-fees/

Archived