July 4th celebration on board?

kbarnum

I am taking my family of 4 on the Carnival Legend the Week of July 1st. I have never sailed on a Holiday and was wondering if they do anything special for a special day, such as Independence day?

Last year on the Freedom, they told us that we had a big surprise for 4th of July while on board. Turns out that they had a Stevie Wonder impersonator but even had bodyguards to make us believe he was the real thing. It was fun and remember it was a bit patriotic. I packed things from the dollar store for my girls to celebrate.

We were on an Alaska cruise over July 4 last year--that was the evening we docked in Victoria (our roll call joked that the Canadians were in Alaska for Canada Day and we were in Canada for July 4). The waiters sang God Bless America and people all over the dining room stood and sang with them. It was really quite lovely.

When we were getting off the ship in Victoria there was a huge U.S. flag hung in the atrium and red, white, and blue ribbons on the railings.

We've done cruises over July 4 four times, with #5 coming up this year. The first time (sea day and then-formal night), there were songs in the dining room followed by some special performances by the featured singers in the main lounge. Then the CD (Todd Wittmer) invited active duty personnel and veterans to join him on stage for a tribute.

Second time we were in port in the British Virgin Islands. Not exactly a place that observes July 4.;) However, they did some July 4-themed photos and songs in the dining room.

Third time we were sailing out of Baltimore, down the Chesapeake. Again, some patriotic songs and a flag hung in the atrium. Not sure if there was anything at the welcome aboard show, because we were on our balcony watching fireworks as we sailed down the bay.:cool:

Last year we were in port in Saint John, Canada. For a port that was founded by loyalists who left during the American Revolution, the folks in port were most welcoming (they always are in Saint John - love that city:)). On board the ship, they had a lot of July 4 activities - trivia, movies, and a late-night deck party in the atrium.

In our experience, it varies according to the ship's schedule and the cruise director.

Thank you for the responses! Guess I will have to bring my own fireworks to celebrate...just kidding!:cool: my wife mentioned Carnival's colors are red, white and blue. We will celebrate our awesome Country's Independence Day no matter where in the World we are...proud to be an American!

We cruised once on the 4th of July and our ship had lots of themed activities!

An Independence Day BBQ, trivia, MDR songs with the USA Flag used as props, Main Theater, and lots and lots of people wearing the red, white and blue throughout the day.

We were touched by how many people from other nations wished us a happy day!

July 4th we'll be docked in our first port, San Juan. It's a 3pm-midnight dock time, so if there happens to be any local fireworks hopefully we'll get to see them. We have our red/white/blue theme t'shirts for that day ;)

Archived