Norwegian Jade Obstructed View 8552 or 8554?

tanda4556

I'm trying to find out which cabin is better (8552 or 8554), and can't find a straight answer anywhere. So, I'm hoping someone who recently has stayed in these cabins on Jade can give me some feedback.

Are the view from one cabin better than the other? How about the noise level? Did you hear loud music or karaoke from Deck 7?

If you know anything about these cabins or 8052 & 8054, please let me know! :) Thanks!

We've stayed at similar Deck 8 cabins on sister ships, the obstructed view with a small tendor boat outside the window is still going to give you plenty of natural sunlight & you will see out to the distance, depending on the angle from within the cabin - 8552 is probably a notch better as 8554 is closer to the mechanical/swingin arm for the tender.

The lounge/karaoke downstairs on Deck 7 shouldn't be a problem late night as they aren't playing "loud" music "disco" style - if it's excessive, the entire corridor of guests & not just you, wlll be annoyed & calling reception to complain & to be get it toned down.

It's a good deck to be on, easy to walk up to the buffet or down to the MDR & main deck/reception, even to the theater for shows - and the 24 hours cafe toward the back for a late night bite (or, order it & bring it back to the cabin to enjoy - without waiting for room service to deliver it)

Just beware of crew members working & doing maintenance, inspections outside your window when the ship is docked/anchored or in ports, as there is a walkway there & they do sometimes go thru to get from one area to another - keep the curtains closed for privacy, unless you want them to waive at them ...

Enjoy your planned cruise !

I stayed in that area on the Jade last year. I cannot comment on which view will be better for you. If the Jade is doing the Eastern Med. again, sometimes the lifeboats will be down.

As for noise level, my room last year was right above one of the restaurants and I could hear the night crew cleaning. One night they dropped some plates!

The rooms are great though. I loved the Jade!

April

We prefer the deck 8 nearer the central elevators and the atrium.

I think those 2 cabins have the small rescue boat rather than a regular life boat

I don't think any of the obstructed view have a "view" worth bothering with.

if you need a view get a better cabin they are cheap enough for the next few cruises.

what dates are you looking at?

We've stayed at similar Deck 8 cabins on sister ships, the obstructed view with a small tendor boat outside the window is still going to give you plenty of natural sunlight & you will see out to the distance, depending on the angle from within the cabin - 8552 is probably a notch better as 8554 is closer to the mechanical/swingin arm for the tender.

The lounge/karaoke downstairs on Deck 7 shouldn't be a problem late night as they aren't playing "loud" music "disco" style - if it's excessive, the entire corridor of guests & not just you, wlll be annoyed & calling reception to complain & to be get it toned down.

It's a good deck to be on, easy to walk up to the buffet or down to the MDR & main deck/reception, even to the theater for shows - and the 24 hours cafe toward the back for a late night bite (or, order it & bring it back to the cabin to enjoy - without waiting for room service to deliver it)

Just beware of crew members working & doing maintenance, inspections outside your window when the ship is docked/anchored or in ports, as there is a walkway there & they do sometimes go thru to get from one area to another - keep the curtains closed for privacy, unless you want them to waive at them ...

Enjoy your planned cruise !

Thanks for your feedback! Sounds liek Deck 8 is very convenient. Was your cabin on port side or starboard side?

Good to know about crew members working right outside of our window. That probably means we will hear some noise while they work around life boats as well, right?

I stayed in that area on the Jade last year. I cannot comment on which view will be better for you. If the Jade is doing the Eastern Med. again, sometimes the lifeboats will be down.

As for noise level, my room last year was right above one of the restaurants and I could hear the night crew cleaning. One night they dropped some plates!

The rooms are great though. I loved the Jade!

April

Hi April,

Thanks for your reply. :) We will be crusing the Eastern Med next summer. How often do they lower the lifeboats? Do you remember what cabin you stayed? I'm a super light sleeper and the noise from Deck 7 worries me a bit. I may have to bring earplugs.

We prefer the deck 8 nearer the central elevators and the atrium.

I think those 2 cabins have the small rescue boat rather than a regular life boat

I don't think any of the obstructed view have a "view" worth bothering with.

if you need a view get a better cabin they are cheap enough for the next few cruises.

what dates are you looking at?

I'm crusing Eastern Med next summer (July). The cabin reviews on sister ships were great, but I've noticed that the rescue boats on Jade looked bigger than the ones on her sister ships on some pictures. Someone actually said 8552 on Jade was completely obstructed.:eek: I couldn't confirm this info, though.

Was your cabin on port side or starboard side? Good to know about crew members working right outside of our window. That probably means we will hear some noise while they work around life boats as well, right?

Ours were sideway cabins on the starboard side on the Jewel last year (with the "regular" or full size boats - see photos) further back - but, those hallways are fairly quiet & while what's below is a karoke & night club, the singing & dancing (if any) are generally over by 11 pm - it varied depending on the itinerary & demographics of who's sailing - spring break/summer or holiday/party cruises, etc. Some of the singing are inside the private VIP rooms, available for extra charge for small group, with further sound insulation.

There is no restaurant below you or above your corridor - and, the noise is loud & it's getting late - it's simple, call down or walk down to the reception desk & speak to those on duty & they will get it addressed (otherwise, request the intervention of the director for guest services)

Tendor boats (all of these, both small & large, are motorized & aren't exactly the rubber lifeboats - capacity for 200+ pax) are sometimes used & launched when docked in port or anchored in the harbour, to transfer pax to shore and/or to conduct safety drills or training exercises for the crew, etc. Crew members (usually those in white overalls) go outside to do safety checks, wash the exterior of the ship & sometimes spot paint the hull, etc. - seen them out there & they aren't in the business of looking into all the cabins as they are on duty & doing work - keeping the curtains closed is more of a privacy for the guests, knowing that there is a possibility of someone walking on the exterior gangway by the window.

These cabins are called "obstructed oceanview" for a reason - it is just that, but you can & will be able to see out. There are plenty of public space throughout the ship to look near & far - and, sometimes we take our binoculars along even when staying in a balcony stateroom.

SDC8004.jpg.2a9f1229a04d7576e590eff518ec3e1c.jpg

SDC8003.jpg.427418e3d7cd66724815fb452fb6fa9a.jpg

Two years ago I was in room 8064, and last year, in the same area but the other side and a wee bit closer to the front. I can't remember my room number off-hand.

The lifeboats come down when the ship tenders. Really, obstructed view does mean obstructed view. You can see a little bit, but not very much unless the boats are down.

For me, I really feel like I need a window, and this type of room fills that need.

As for noise level, just depending where your room, it may be really quiet or you might hear noises at night. When I was in 8064, I heard nothing from down below. Last year, I heard plenty. The biggest noise complaint that I had was people running through the halls. That's louder than anything! It did not spoil my holiday though!

Have a good trip!

April

Thanks again, April :) We once cruised and stayed in an inside cabin. I felt very isolated from the rest of the ship when my son was taking a nap every afternoon. So, this time we booked the obstructed view room since I just need some light and hopefuly enough view from the window to see the outside. I'm hoping our cabin is not fully obstructed. Partially obstructed is fine with me as our kids are older and don't take daily naps anymore. I think I will bring earplugs for sure, though :)

I'm crusing Eastern Med next summer (July). The cabin reviews on sister ships were great, but I've noticed that the rescue boats on Jade looked bigger than the ones on her sister ships on some pictures. Someone actually said 8552 on Jade was completely obstructed.:eek: I couldn't confirm this info, though.

That first lifeboat on the Jade is indeed larger than on other Jewel class ships. On the Jewel, it's more like a small zodiac. Here's a picture of the Jade and the Jewel:

JADE

jade21050901.jpg

JEWEL

jewel-arrives.jpg

Edited by Tapi

Tapi, that was my thought, exactly. If those pictures were taken recently, I think they confirm the post saying 8052 and 8552 don't have any view. So, I switched our cabin from 8552 to 8054. We will be looking at the mechanical arms (lifts) for the life boat which is better than the side of a life boat.

• 3 years later...

Just off the TA on Jade from BAR to HOU. Room 8554. Ob. View. but it has the small boat instead of a regular life boat. View was fine, room great except for ONE THING. The MEDUSA bar is right below. I'm not one that it bothered by noise off in the distance, but during the last hours to closing, you could sing along with every lyric of every song. Even with the TV turned up, it was always there. My advice, unless you sleep with earplugs, is to choose another location.

BTW just as an aside...the room is tiny compared to my MSC and Carnival rooms. Both of those had a little sitting area as a standard cabin. This room does NOT. Bed is against outside wall. Bunk is on wall. then a 2 1/2 square foot table under the TV shelf on one side, and the makeup desk on the other...then you're going down the hall with Bath on one side and closets on the other. I do like a little more space and will be watching more carefully in the future...and will NOT take a cabin above any venue with a sound system.

Edited by reitmeier
made a spelling error

Just off the TA on Jade from BAR to HOU. Room 8554. Ob. View. but it has the small boat instead of a regular life boat. View was fine, room great except for ONE THING. The MEDUSA bar is right below. I'm not one that it bothered by noise off in the distance, but during the last hours to closing, you could sing along with every lyric of every song. Even with the TV turned up, it was always there. My advice, unless you sleep with earplugs, is to choose another location.

BTW just as an aside...the room is tiny compared to my MSC and Carnival rooms. Both of those had a little sitting area as a standard cabin. This room does NOT. Bed is against outside wall. Bunk is on wall. then a 2 1/2 square foot table under the TV shelf on one side, and the makeup desk on the other...then you're going down the hall with Bath on one side and closets on the other. I do like a little more space and will be watching more carefully in the future...and will NOT take a cabin above any venue with a sound system.

Thank you for that info. We will be in on the Jade next year in that cabin. We do sleep with earplugs but I will look into this. Will I know the words if I want to sing along? (We are old people who know the songs of the 60's) :)