SPIRIT to ALASKA May 8 - 15 Review ... LOVED IT!!!

Lambie - you're a TEASER!!:):D Funny, if you didn't know those colored curlicues were the WaterWorks, you would think they were fancy ribbons. Great pictures.Loved the food photos and Little Lambie in his own "apartment"!

Silver

Edited by silverfoxcruiser

Enjoying your review. We've been on the Spirit a few times and loved the ship. Alaska is our favorite destination. I live in AZ now, but grew up in WA state. Your photos of the Seattle, Silverdale and other areas made me a bit homesick. Looking forward to the rest of the review.

We've cruised twice to Alaska on Princess, and are booked with HAL next year roundtrip out of Seattle.

Sorry I ended so abruptly last night!!!

I write out the whole day and add photos. I do this on my computer note pad program. Then I copy over five images worth for each post... Well... Last night I was copying over and POOF... the rest of my day... almost all my day... DISAPPEARED!

I was so tired and frustrated... I just turned off the computer and went to bed! After work today, I hope to redo the rest of Tuesday, embarkation and Sail Away day...

Your photos are awesome!!! What kind of camera is it? I have been researching camera's.

KODAK Easy Share Max and the numbers 1080 and 2990 are on it too! It's 30X zoom. I just got it for Christmas 2011... And I learned the Panoramic feature on it during this cruise! I had never used it before. There are lots of auto settings. The draw backs are that I can't manual focus... and it doesn't do rapid photos... like a bird flying or whale surfacing! I did miss some whale sightings waiting for it to take the next shot... but not that we saw lots of them!!!

And you'll love the Magic too!

I haven't cruised her yet... I'm very sad there are no totally accessible handicapped balconies for 100% disabled persons like Mom!!!

Great pics!

THANKS!!! I've taken photos all my life... I love to travel... and enjoy sharing!!!

LambKnuckles what time did you get to the pier and how was the boarding process?

I had all that written yesterday and POOF, it disappeared!!! But we arrived about 10:15 and were welcomed into the terminal. I've got photos of it...

I was the first on board and SCREAMED!!! LOVED IT!!! The boarding process was smooth and simple actually... The drawbacks to our check in was that we were the first cruise and they had many NEW emplyees -- a NEW computer program -- and returning employees who were still a bit rusty!

Love the review so far..can not wait for the cruising part :)

THANK YOU!!! Almost there!!!

We have been anticipating new Alaska reviews!

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise with us!

Your pictures are fabulous!

Keep it coming. So excited to see how your adventure goes!

THANK YOU!!! I love sharing my experiences! And I only hope others can get ideas or hints... or I can answer questions!

Me too. We'll be on the Spirit in less than a month! Keep it coming.;)

I hope you love her as much as I did!!! She's a beautiful ship!

16 more days... your pictures are amazing. I especially like the moon- we were at a lake house the night of the large moon. It shined down on the water outside- spectacular. Can only imagine how gorgeous it looked up in Alaska. You were truly blessed.

Wasn't that an amazing moon??? WOW!!! The camera doesn't do it justice! And it was so BRIGHT!!! I wonder how the Solar Eclipse was yesterday for those cruising???

AWESOME pictures! My wife and I are soooo looking forward to visiting Seattle and then the cruise itself.

So keep posting those pics! :) Loving them all.

OH! And one quick question: What nights were the elegant nights on??

THANK YOU!!!

Elegant Evenings were Wednesday night, the first Sea Day, and after Ketchikan, on Sunday. They leave port in Ketchikan at 1:00PM, so it's a short port time... Plenty of time to dress and be ready!!!

Like what Im reading and seeing so far!!

Will be there in a month !!!

What day did they do the laundry special on?? Trying to come up with a packing list.

Thanks

Thank you! The laundry special on Thursday or Friday was by the piece count. I can't find the sheet about it -- I have it here somewhere... I am Platinum so it's free and I sent out laundry three times!

The clothes I wish I had more of were sweatshirts or fleece pullovers. I wish I had a hoodie, too!! I would get cool and hot in the sweatshirts and fleeces, so they had to be washed after wearing it once. Jeans and pants, I took three pairs and didn't wash them. T shirts for under the over shirts, I took 5. And I took two long sleeved button shirts that I wore more as "jackets" in the ship and for those short periods outside on the balcony or on the outside of Deck 3. That's where you could be and still be somewhat sheltered from the wind.

The outside upper decks were closed on many cruising days because of rain and winds. High Winds. The Serentity Deck on 9, was open and there is a place to be under cover, and they have blankets to check out as well as towels. I used the blanket as a shawl, some of the time... and bought a $39.99 pink and black jacket on board. The same style jacket was at the first store in Skagway -- Skagway Mining Company -- for $19.99. Remember that if you need to buy one!!!

We are cruising the Spirit on 7/31/12. Loving your review and, pics! What type of camera do you have?

THANK YOU!!! Kodak Easy Share Max...

Lambie - such a GREAT review. Thanks for taking us along. Did you get to see the fish throwing at Pikes? Silver

Thanks!!! I didn't get to see throwing fish, DARN!!! The segway tour got there in time to see that, and I wish I had!!!!

Lambie - you're a TEASER!!:):D Funny, if you didn't know those colored curlicues were the WaterWorks, you would think they were fancy ribbons. Great pictures.Loved the food photos and Little Lambie in his own "apartment"!

Silver

THANKS... Little Lambie loved his riding place!!! The GREEN THUNDER, and the whole water works were open three times on the cruise!! Plenty of time for those who wanted to get goosebumps... I actually never did... I'm embarrassed to say!!! It was too cold for this frail, delicate body... :rolleyes:

Enjoying your review. We've been on the Spirit a few times and loved the ship. Alaska is our favorite destination. I live in AZ now, but grew up in WA state. Your photos of the Seattle, Silverdale and other areas made me a bit homesick. Looking forward to the rest of the review.

We've cruised twice to Alaska on Princess, and are booked with HAL next year roundtrip out of Seattle.

I love the ship!!! WONDERFUL!!! And Seattle area was breathtaking too!!! I couldn't have asked for a better vacation!!!

Yay I'm see the Spirit had new from drydock!!

Wonderful review!

THANKS!!! She's a great ship and I love all her features!!!

Lambie, loving it. I may just have to buy a new camera, even though the one I have, isn't even a yr old yet. Skagway is where I bought my jacket, even though I didn't need it. We had taken several coats with us, but, I loved it. Wished I have bought a couple extras for Christmas presents. Can't wait until you get to the cruise part. I so want to see a picture of the new "Lambster". Your pictures are simply amazing, so clear and post card worthy.

I am thinking of taking my Grandsons bear on our trip so he can have pictures he will enjoy when I get back. Does the gift shop sell and bear clothes , I think they have a Build A Bear thing on some ships , perhaps I could get Nautical clothes.

Yes I am a crazy Grandma , and loving every moment of it.

Lambie, loving it. I may just have to buy a new camera, even though the one I have, isn't even a yr old yet. Skagway is where I bought my jacket, even though I didn't need it. We had taken several coats with us, but, I loved it. Wished I have bought a couple extras for Christmas presents. Can't wait until you get to the cruise part. I so want to see a picture of the new "Lambster". Your pictures are simply amazing, so clear and post card worthy.

I can offer a suggestion on a great camera ... this one does HD movies as well as has auto and manual focus modes and rapid photo taking. I got it for Christmas and LOVE it.

Fujifilm 16MP 30x Optical Zoom Digital Camera HD movie

It won't fit in a pocket, but isn't too heavy and is easy to pack. Has a built in flash too. One of the things I really like about it is that it has a view finder and a viewing screen. No more worries about glare on the screen and not being able to see what you are taking a photo of. Also the viewing screen is adjustable so I can hole the camera up above and still see what I am taking the photo of. The view finder is a MUST HAVE item for me and so few cameras have them now.

Even my husband who has a high end camera with separate lens agrees that this camera is going to Alaska with us instead of taking his and all the lenses. My camera's zoom is actually better than the zoom on his camera.

Really enjoying your review. Hopefully you found the ship in good condition, we tried not to leave but we had too! Seeing your photos of Seattle makes me wish we stayed more than 1 night.

Happy Belated Birthday, looking forward to more of your review.

Waiting for you next posting.

Suggestion for camera: Canon Rebel EOS. I have the T1I but now the latest is T3I. Manual and automatic features. I also have a Canon Powershot but hated the fact that I could not get all those action shots. Now I can't stand to use my point and shoot.

THANK YOU!!!

Elegant Evenings were Wednesday night, the first Sea Day, and after Ketchikan, on Sunday. They leave port in Ketchikan at 1:00PM, so it's a short port time... Plenty of time to dress and be ready!!!

Great! Thank you very much! Believe it or not, that definitely helps with some on ship planning!

And keep those beautiful pictures coming! Right now my wife and I are living vicariously through you! :p

Many people use the ferry ride as an extended prep time before work. And Tuesday is a work day for most... so we saw sleeping in the seats, computer work, and make-up and shaving in the bathrooms... But for me... when I saw that ship... YIPPEE!!! I think I squealed!!!

I WAS EXCITED!!!

Getting off the ferry, we waited in the terminal for the rest of our group to arrive. They needed to catch the later ferry since they arrived in Bremerton, just as we were pulling away...

...and once they arrived, we said GoodBye to Kent, and he went off to explore and finish playing tourist in Seattle -- and the four of us took an SUV limo to the pier!!!

Pier 91...

232323232%7Ffp73458%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D353794%3B858349nu0mrj

Here's our first sight of the SPIRIT from land... WOW!!!

232323232%7Ffp635%3C3%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C88868349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6355%3B%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C8886%3B349nu0mrj

The entrance to the terminal is right there next to the ship... And once inside the terminal... it's EASY !!!

232323232%7Ffp73436%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C88876349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73435%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C88879349nu0mrj

Heading up the escalator... we see the second floor, which is security and check in...

The line at this time of the morning... 10AM is little and no need for VIP line to get through security.

232323232%7Ffp63562%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C8887%3A349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63632%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C88882349nu0mrj

Once inside, we are directed to the VIP/Platinum line and we discover since we are the first ship leaving from Seattle, and they have a new computer check in program for the returning employees -- and this is the first day for the new employees... There were snafus in checkin. It took a bit over 10 muntes to get us checked in, but we were their first check in!

232323232%7Ffp63576%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C88883349nu0mrj

There's not much to the terminal, but we found others from our group. They hadn't made an area for VIP, but I did see the entrance for us to board. And when they announced they were ready to begin boarding, I was first in line!!!

232323232%7Ffp635%3B2%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C8887%3B349nu0mrj

VIPs first, then special needs and wheelchairs, then Zone 1 guests...

Walking outside to the gangway,

232323232%7Ffp635%3C9%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3A75%3B7349nu0mrj

I looked up at the ship... WOW!!! WOW!!! The green thunder... The balconies!!

232323232%7Ffp63584%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3A75%3A3349nu0mrj

We're on the port side, so I can't see our balcony, but soon enough! Being Platinum has an advantage -- our cabins are already ready for us! I can go there straightaway!!!

In this next photo, you can just barely see the chain link fence that separates the loading dock from the roadway we were on... The long line of covered benches and waiting is where you're dropped off and loaded to leave. They are numbered, so you can tell someone you're waiting in loading zone # 3... or whichever one you're in! And if it's raining, they are covered!!!

232323232%7Ffp635%3B8%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B3634349nu0mrj

I SCREAMED when I realized I was the first guest on board for this sailing!!! I heard about that throughout the cruise. Folks would ask if that was me that screamed! I guess I do have a set of lungs... and I can be loud!!! But seeing the atrium, the Lobby, all rosy with sunlight fronm the rose windows of the funnel... WOW!!! I knew then, this is a beautiful ship!!!

232323232%7Ffp63584%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B3644349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3A2%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B3649349nu0mrj

I wasn't ready to post that... It's acting up again!!!

and the balcony...

232323232%7Ffp6359%3A%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B36%3B3349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3C9%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B9%3A37349nu0mrj

and the closets, across from the bathroom...

232323232%7Ffp63565%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B9%3A95349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63578%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B9%3A99349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63633%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3537%3C%3B9%3A9%3B349nu0mrj

That last one, the shelf closet has a mirror on the inside of the door... NOT double shelves!!!!