(Full time wheelchair/scooter users) traveling solo?

PBC29

Did you find people more helpful or just the same as when you travel with someone else.

Which employees were more helpful to you with regards to getting around: airport, taxi, port, ship. (NOT PUSHING) but giving directions, carry luggage etc...

• 1 month later...

My large, heavy duty rolling walker with seat (which doesn't fold very much) has accompanied me on 13 cruises over 8 years (3 cruise lines). Cruised solo to Bermuda in May on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore. (Usually cruise with my sister but she had other plans.) Found pretty much everyone to be very helpful. Drove to port, dropped off bags, parked in H/C parking. Ground crew (bags, parking, terminal) were very helpful. Most fellow pax were from MD, VA, DE, PA, WV, NC, etc. so perhaps that is why they were more helpful. :) Ship staff (from steward to waiters to on-off crew on ship at each port) were also quite helpful. Possibly, they were "more helpful" because they could easily see that I had no one accompanying me to assist. Hope this helps!

Did you find people more helpful or just the same as when you travel with someone else.

Which employees were more helpful to you with regards to getting around: airport, taxi, port, ship. (NOT PUSHING) but giving directions, carry luggage etc...

Cruise solo most of the time. Generally speaking everyone is most helpful. However with regards to carrying luggage for you, that's something that you can't alway expect will be done for you. People will assist to a limit but to go cruising expecting that people will carry my luggage is something I don't do. If someome assists me, I very thankful but I always pack in such a way to handle my own luggage. Because of this I pack only using a 22" or 18" suitcase with wheels that can either be transportated on the seat of my walker if I've rented a scooter to be delivered to the cabin. If I have the scooter delivered to the hotel ( I always arrive th day before, than if I use a 22" suitcase I can pull it along side the scooter and hang my tote on the tiller. If I use the 18" suitcase I can fit it on the foot bed of the scooter behind my legs and again hang my tote bag on the tiller. I leave my scooter a home as want to minimize the possibility of the the airlines causing any damage.

I have friend that cruises solo that's confined to a electric wheelchair . SHe always packs in a soft side small duffle like the on in the link http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Travel/Large-Duffel/154786/defaultColor/Va+Va+Bloom/pc/638/c/0/sc/646/p/154786.uts . It sits on her lap and she hangs a tote bag on the back of the chair.

Now you ask how can I pack in an 18" suitcase. I no longer bring fancy dresses and shoes. Everything has to double /triple duty or it doesn't get packed. For the formal evenings I have a dress black slacks with a nice top that can be dressed up or down using jewely and or scarfs.

When I travel solo (which is most often) I find the crew very helpful. They will give me extra pillows for my legs etc. They help with meals in the buffet (they carry my plate well I drive the scooter). I sit where I am comfortable in bars usually near the door but out of the way of foot traffic.

For shows the staff have gotten me to the front row several times then taken the scooter. When the show is over they will get the scooter and bring it back (but you may have to signal one when the lights come on). I was left there for a while once. I can walk with my cane so I just found the scooter on my own.

Archived