carnival victory gltb friendly?

jonle1

Hello all; I am very very new to cruising. My bf and I [soon to be married] always travel to Europe. but in 2012 we decided to try to something different and go on a cruise. The cruise we are looking at is the Carnival Victory out of San Juan over Thanksgiving time. I saw about a general question about carnival in the boards, but I wanted to know ship- specific if possible. Is this ship ok with gay people [like the fellow passengers, the crew and even the islands]...

I should say that by no means would we do pda and stuff and always keep to myself [to which i think heteros also should live by] but still, I am just wondering.

oh also we are in are very very early 30's if that means anything....

well thanks!

Hello all; I am very very new to cruising. My bf and I [soon to be married] always travel to Europe. but in 2012 we decided to try to something different and go on a cruise. The cruise we are looking at is the Carnival Victory out of San Juan over Thanksgiving time. I saw about a general question about carnival in the boards, but I wanted to know ship- specific if possible. Is this ship ok with gay people [like the fellow passengers, the crew and even the islands]...

I should say that by no means would we do pda and stuff and always keep to myself [to which i think heteros also should live by] but still, I am just wondering.

oh also we are in are very very early 30's if that means anything....

well thanks!

The staff on all lines are pretty gay friendly. The shorter "booze" cruises of Carnival/NCL/RCCL may have less sympathetic passengers.(5 days or less) I hate saying it..but oh, well. Sometimes those of lessor means are less sophisticated/educated. This is where I've heard/seen issues. Seeing some of these folks in ports,(which I have) one can imagine they're not too gay friendly. Longer cruises are not a problem. As to the islands..do avoid any PDA's on most Caribbean islands. They're pretty homophobic.

The staff on all lines are pretty gay friendly. The shorter "booze" cruises of Carnival/NCL/RCCL may have less sympathetic passengers.(5 days or less) I hate saying it..but oh, well. Sometimes those of lessor means are less sophisticated/educated. This is where I've heard/seen issues. Seeing some of these folks in ports,(which I have) one can imagine they're not too gay friendly. Longer cruises are not a problem. As to the islands..do avoid any PDA's on most Caribbean islands. They're pretty homophobic.

keithm; thanks for the reply: I sort of gathered that of the islands; one other option [and somewhat cheaper] is doing the Carnival Glory over Thanksgiving to Mexico, Belize, Rhotyan [sp] and Cayman...but I would think that they are less gay friendly as well...

Welcome to Cruisecritic and cruising. All cruise lines are people friendly. They cater to all types of people from all over the world. That is their business. They don't care about one's sexual orientation. They don't know if you are just two friends traveling together, brothers, cousins or domestic partners. It's just not an issue nor should it be unless you decide to disclose it. The staff is well verse on gay cruisers as it is quite common now. Also...some of the staff onboard the ship are gay...just like on land...but most keep on low profile. Carnival openly welcomes gay cruisers...Atlantis cruises is chartering the Carnival Splendor to do an all-gay cruise this October. Carnival should post in the ship's newsletter a GLBT/FOD get-together. If you don't see one inquire with the cruise director, but they aren't obligated to offer one. I think though they are pretty standard now. Also, get a "roll call" started here on Cruisecritic for your sailing date if there isn't one already listed. This great way you can connect with GLBT people prior to your cruises; however, not everyone knows about Cruisecritic so your response maybe small...it just all depends, but doesn't hurt to try. Now your fellow passengers....this is a sticky question. Most people could care less about your sexual orientation but in the "rare" chance if you get seated with people in dining room that are less then friendly just privately ask the Maitre'd after dinner to re-seat you to another table. This is usually never a problem to switch tables. Most Caribbean islands unfortunately with the exception of St. Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, all Mexican ports and maybe San Juan are NOT gay friendly and none have gay bars or anything as such. These islands are culturally and religiously very conservative. I would avoid any PDA's and stay in the tourist areas or take a ship's shore tours. Other then that you should be fine and you shouldn't have any problems. Have a great time.

Welcome to Cruisecritic and cruising. All cruise lines are people friendly. They cater to all types of people from all over the world. That is their business. They don't care about one's sexual orientation. They don't know if you are just two friends traveling together, brothers, cousins or domestic partners. It's just not an issue nor should it be unless you decide to disclose it. The staff is well verse on gay cruisers as it is quite common now. Also...some of the staff onboard the ship are gay...just like on land...but most keep on low profile. Carnival openly welcomes gay cruisers...Atlantis cruises is chartering the Carnival Splendor to do an all-gay cruise this October. Carnival should post in the ship's newsletter a GLBT/FOD get-together. If you don't see one inquire with the cruise director, but they aren't obligated to offer one. I think though they are pretty standard now. Also, get a "roll call" started here on Cruisecritic for your sailing date if there isn't one already listed. This great way you can connect with GLBT people prior to your cruises; however, not everyone knows about Cruisecritic so your response maybe small...it just all depends, but doesn't hurt to try. Now your fellow passengers....this is a sticky question. Most people could care less about your sexual orientation but in the "rare" chance if you get seated with people in dining room that are less then friendly just privately ask the Maitre'd after dinner to re-seat you to another table. This is usually never a problem to switch tables. Most Caribbean islands unfortunately with the exception of St. Maarten, Aruba, Curacao, all Mexican ports and maybe San Juan are NOT gay friendly and none have gay bars or anything as such. These islands are culturally and religiously very conservative. I would avoid any PDA's and stay in the tourist areas or take a ship's shore tours. Other then that you should be fine and you shouldn't have any problems. Have a great time.

perfect: thanks for your reply!

keithm; thanks for the reply: I sort of gathered that of the islands; one other option [and somewhat cheaper] is doing the Carnival Glory over Thanksgiving to Mexico, Belize, Rhotyan [sp] and Cayman...but I would think that they are less gay friendly as well...

Comboy pretty much covered everything perfectly. We've never seen any issues with staff(we cruise with Cunard). Being a more "worldly" cruiseline, you'll see a lot more international pax on board Cunard line. We have heard(not seen) issues where tablemates were less than accepting. In those issues, just ask to be reseated elsewhere the next day. We usually request a table for 2. Carnival is pretty limited in smaller tables. A suggestion would be to ask the Maitre D to seat you at a same sex table. It can be done.On the islands definately stick to ship sponsered excursions. They are responsible for your safety. Shooping in the ports is usually fine, as you're near the ship. It's when travelling further out that you need to exercise a little caution. Overall, just have fun & be yourselves.

Archived