Need encouraging review of the SJ Marriott!

Pbjandthou

Hello all you wonderful, helpful people!

My Hubby and I leave on Friday for San Juan, where we'll be staying 2 nights before our cruise departs on Sunday 5/8 (Adventure). When we booked the cruise several months ago the reviews I'd read regarding the Marriott were very good; however, I've noticed that over the past month they've gotten increasingly negative. We'll be celebrating my 40th b-day on the 7th and I could really use a bit of good news about this hotel.:o ...anyone?!?

We are also sailing on the adventure out of san juan but not until Oct. We have also booked a room there. I have not seen any negative reviews about this hotel, although I have been told that this hotel will be under going renovations apparently on the outside of the building from May until Nov. :(

We stayed there a year ago and it was very nice. Great pool area and access to the beach. It does take the sun a while before hitting the pool. We played a couple hours worth of pool volleyball before we went to the ship.

Of course, the service at the restaurants is on "island time" and we have found that to be true of every hotel we have stayed at in San Juan including OSJ Sheraton and the Wyndham Condado Plaza. We would stay there again, but we like the ability to bar hop in OSJ when we get there at night, so staying down in OSJ avoids taking more taxis.

Clubber, thanks for the encouraging review of the Marriott.

Showgirl, if you haven't already, check out Trip Advisor . com for reviews and such. I'll let you know how the Marriott is when we return home on the 17th. Just in case, you might want to see if you're able to change your reservation. According to things I'm reading the Intercontinental is nice.

There is a nice club in front of the Marriott... and there is a good Hibachi place next door (Cherry Blossom's).

If your into icecream... Accross the street (about half a block west) is Piu Bello... sit outside and the waitress takes your order...

• 1 month later...

My wife and I will be staying at the Marriott in October before we head out on the Adventures of the Seas.... I have heard good things about the hotel.

I don't expect a fairy tale hotel experience. I just want a nice place to stay before my exciting, fun, relaxing cruise experience.

I will also be checking out the history of San Juan. And have a nice dinner and perhaps a little of the night life. The relaxing, soaking up the sun will be on board the AOS.

I've stayed there so many times because we live very close to San Juan (40 minute plane ride away) and we go there to shop and this hotel is great. I've never seen anything wrong with it nor have I ever had a problem there. Location is great! Right across the street is Starbucks, the beach is right behind, Walgreens is a 2 minute walk away and is open 24 hours, also there are quite a bit of restaurants around and the area of Condado is pretty safe to walk around even at night (but we never take the risk of walking after 11 p.m.)

• 2 weeks later...

I always cruise out of SJU and have stayed at both the Marriott and the Radisson. The Marriott I have found to be very dumpy and unpleasant staff there. The Radisson is much nicer however not right on the beach. The Marriott Beach has as much grafitti as downtown Detroit though so beware. I have found that the Puerto Ricans are much more pleasant if I try to speak some Spanish first. After all this is their land and we are visitors. There are some great stores and restaurants in the area as well. If you walk 6-9 blocks to left of the Marriott there is a Pizzeria Uno, Fuddruckers Hamburgers and 7-11 etal. Have fun.

Archived