Oasis - What are your "Must Dos"

Great idea. There's really nothing we "have" to do in Jamaica, so we had considered staying onboard.

I think you said you were doing the Eastern route. If so you won't go to Jamaica but Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maartens. We spent most of the day in Nassau onboard. Pools were almost empty.

It's our first, and I have a feeling we'll be hooked ;)

It was our first also and we are definitely hooked!:D

Do the whirlpools stay crowded? I would assume they do....

Like the others have said they were empty at night time. It was our

pre-bed ritual to relax there.

My suggestions are to look at the cruise compasses before you go to get an idea of what you absolutely do not want to miss. Then you can add other activities as the day allows when you are onboard. We enjoyed getting up early and watching our arrivals into the ports. Of course we also stayed up late on our balcony and looked at the lights in the distance of the other islands, or other ships. There are nice chairs on Deck 5 aft, off the jogging track, where you can sit and watch the wake. It is shaded so nice for a break from the hot sun.

If you are able to, take the stairs and enjoy the beautiful art displayed.

Have a great cruise.

From my Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas:

Now to finish it all off with some quick hit DOs.

DO get a cupcake at the Cupcake Cupboard. Sure it’s $2.50, but you're on vacation, splurge for a snack.

DO go to the Park Café and often. The food is good and even if it’s crowded it moves quickly. Especially recommended for breakfast.

DO go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast. Hey, no extra charge and you get entertained at the same time.

DO go to the Café Promenade. We would stop here every night for a couple glasses of water and bring them back to the room. Sometimes we grabbed a cookie or two. (Shhh, don’t tell anyone!)

DO pick up a snack at the Wipe Out Café. I didn’t and I regret it. :(

DO have lunch at the Solarium Bistro. Just dry off and walk in. Just like Windjammer, except MUCH less crowded.

DO stop in at Vintages, even if it’s for a glass of wine. Although you’ll probably be tempted to order at least one dish.

And last, but certainly not least…

DO have a wonderful cruise and do what you enjoy. That’s what cruising is all about.

I think you said you were doing the Eastern route. If so you won't go to Jamaica but Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maartens. We spent most of the day in Nassau onboard. Pools were almost empty.

Oops, yes I meant Nassau :)

Go up to the suites only sun deck on deck 17 above the solarium. From 7PM-1AM it is the cigar bar but it goes all the way around the deck so if the cigars bother you it is easy sit on the other side. It is open to all during those times listed and Julian at the bar is fantastic. It was wonderful watching the sun set from up there and the loungers and couches were great. You will have a blast. Agree with another post who said stay away from the Seafood Shack. The food was absolutely awful. They refunded our money, which we certainly didn't ask for, but shows excellent customer service. We really enjoyed the Splish Splash aqua show which is the one that does not require reservations and was held closer to the end of the cruise. Have a wonderful cruise. We have been home for a month and are having withdrawal!

Go up to the suites only sun deck on deck 17 above the solarium. From 7PM-1AM it is the cigar bar but it goes all the way around the deck so if the cigars bother you it is easy sit on the other side. It is open to all during those times listed and Julian at the bar is fantastic. It was wonderful watching the sun set from up there and the loungers and couches were great.

Thanks! Will definitely check it out!

If you can.........

Budget some extra $$ and eat in the specialty restaurants.

We have done this several times ship without even doing into the MDR.

It's really not that expensive

We act like Oasis/Allure is a fine floating hotel.

Also set your own pace...........we eat in the Wnjmer 2 nights out of the week. It's casual and calm there in the evenings.

The fourth deck has a really cool jogging/walking track. It goes around the whole ship. You are very close to the water and can look out as you walk/jog.

Trust me... spend an hour each day there and you'll have a clearer mind and a better vacation! Plus not as much guilt for eating dessert every night! You dont have to be an exercise person.. just walk and let your mind wander.

This class of ship is truely amazing! You can have exactly the kind of cruise experience you want. There are so many options..........many more than just the mainstream things to do.

If you can.........

Budget some extra $$ and eat in the specialty restaurants. We have done this several times ship without even doing into the MDR.

The fourth deck has a really cool jogging/walking track. It goes around the whole ship. You are very close to the water and can look out as you walk/jog.

We are HUGE foodies! Our TA gave us a free dinner at Chops or Giovanni's, so we'll definitely do both of those. Hubby wants to "go all out" and do the Chef's Dinner. I'd like to do the MDR on lobster night, but that's about it..

Thanks for the tip on the walking track! I have been wondering what the views are like. We both would like to get in a good walk every day. Since we'll be swimming a lot too, I'm hoping to burn off "some" of those calories :D

Go up to the suites only sun deck on deck 17 above the solarium. From 7PM-1AM it is the cigar bar but it goes all the way around the deck so if the cigars bother you it is easy sit on the other side. It is open to all during those times listed and Julian at the bar is fantastic. It was wonderful watching the sun set from up there and the loungers and couches were great. You will have a blast. Agree with another post who said stay away from the Seafood Shack. The food was absolutely awful. They refunded our money, which we certainly didn't ask for, but shows excellent customer service. We really enjoyed the Splish Splash aqua show which is the one that does not require reservations and was held closer to the end of the cruise. Have a wonderful cruise. We have been home for a month and are having withdrawal!

Deb #2 where the heck have you been? Miss talking with you. And yes withdrawal is painful. So painful I haven't watched any of the sailings since. Although it's about 332 days till the Allure! Talk to the Royal Party and see if you can join us. I'm going to try and find your email address in the mean time.

Deck 11 Port side aft is a great place to go for sail away and the aqua show. Up there most of the time alone. It's like having an extended balcony. Loved it!!!

Try the park cafe for breakfast, if you time it right its not crowded and they have a lovely selection of hot and cold items, also, the tutti salad bar in the MDR on sea days is wonderful and quite relaxing, from what I recall we ate in the windjammer just a couple of times as there are so many other options.

We LOVE a good salad! I hadn't given much thought to the MDR for lunch. Thanks!

Try something new that you wouldn't get the opportunity to otherwise.

For instance, I've always been interested in ziplining but wasn't sure if I could do it. The Oasis makes it easy by having a short zipline over the Boardwalk area. It was a lot of fun and now I know I can handle ziplining in the future!

The Flowrider is another great experience to try. If you do, get a friend or family member to videotape or take pictures of you doing it to prove to everyone when you get home from your trip! :D

Please allow me to offer some do's AND don'ts.

DO the art and Central Park tours. VERY informative, especially since the ship is the destination. (this is a secret but the ports AREN'T the reason for sailing on the Oasis!)

DO purchase the "Live from the Oasis" tour book from Rising Tide and try to complete each route. It gives you some "secrets" about the ship. (did I tell you the real secret about the Oasis?)

DO try to find ALL the viewfinder art installations; I think there are around 13 of them. Especially find the dog diving into the pool. Very sweet.

DO the back to back cruise. 1 week is NOT enough to experience Oasis.

And the don'ts....

DON'T be a chair hog. The RC staff will clear your belongings if you're not present within the 30 minute window.

DON'T sleep or you might miss something!

DON'T try to do it ALL! You'll leave without truly having had a vacation. We were WORN OUT after a week trying to do it all. We ended up needing a vacation from our vacation! (did I mention do the back to back cruise on the Oasis?)

Best of all, DO have fun!

IMAG0143.jpg

Sorry to play the party pooper here- but the only " Must do" is to stay away from those monster- ships!

Reason´s here they come:

most bars, lounges, ( as nice as they may be) are indoors- no connection to the seas. ( that´s what cruising is about for me)

No prommenade - deck- ( well thats the same with X´s Solstice Class though) all blocked by the boats.

to many poeple!

no appealing port of calls!

Just my point of view- I don´t want offend any Oasis- Allure - Fans!

Michael

Archived