liverpool terminal

bonniecharlie

Liverpool Council to pay back £8.8m to allow cruises from River Mersey terminal

By David BartlettMay 22 2012

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/05/22/liverpool-council-to-pay-back-8-8m-to-allow-cruises-from-river-mersey-terminal-100252-31020330/#ixzz1vbZ1LWZz

Woo hoo indeed, in your face southampton! :D

Woo hoo indeed, in your face southampton! :D

Hardly "in your face", Milly :rolleyes:

Why spoil the moment by taking an unneccessary, irrelevant & spiteful swipe at Southampton - a port which has for decades continuously invested in its own facilities and, like the other UK ports, wanted competition to be on a level playing field rather than competing against a facility paid for by the tax-payer.

Leaving aside the EU part of the grant, by agreeing to repay the UK grant (given on condition that the pier be used only for day visits) Liverpool has now - eventually - gone some considerable way to agreeing to that level playing field.

Liverpool could have converted the pierhead years ago if it had agreed then to re-pay the grant.

Instead the city tried to get shot of that crucial condition, yet still hang onto the grant - thereby giving credence to the stero-typical scouser looking for hand-outs. And delaying this moment for several years.

So concentrate not on sniping at others, but on Liverpool creating the demand & the infrastructure to provide the north-west with great facilities - they've got a lot of catching up to do :p

But they do at least have the advantage of re-paying the grant out of profits, rather than finding the money up-front.

JB :)

Bearing in mind the current temporary terminal in Liverpool will only be open for 6 months of the year and can only accommodate vessels carrying up to 1,200 passengers, there will need to be significant investment required going forward if Liverpool is to play with the big boys

It is unlikely that any more grant funding will be available and Mayor Anderson will have to persuade commercial enterprises to stump up the several millions to provide a 'proper' terminal.

Otherwise it is back to the hard pressed tax payers of Liverpool to support the dream

Now, now! play nicely!

I for one am delighted. This will make cruising a lot cheaper and more convenient for a lot of people. My own personal situation is that I live on the Isle of Man, so I will no longer have to fly to the Gatwick (which will save anything up to £300 per person) and the added bonus of no flights = NO BAGGAGE RESTRICTIONS!! It will be a simple matter of hopping on the Steam Packet Ferry and walking along the dock to jump on the cruise ship!

Happy Days!!

I would love Liverpool to develope further to be able to take the bigger ships.....then I could pop over the Irish Sea on a ferry and sailaway on my cruise!!

No weight restrictions and high flight prices yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!

the sooner the better !

Liverpool River Mersey cruise terminal to launch first turnaround cruise for 40 years today

By Peter ElsonMay 29 2012

LIVERPOOL'S Cruise Terminal finally opens its doors to passengers as a fully-fledged turnaround facility today.

From now on liners are being based at the landing stage, near the Pier Head, to start and end their cruises.

First alongside the newly upgraded terminal at 7am this morning was m/v Ocean Countess, bringing 800 passengers in on a cruise from Honfleur, France, Guernsey and the Scilly Isles.

After a civic ceremony, with the Countess of Derby as guest of honour, the liner will depart for Scotland at 4pm today, fully booked with 804 passengers for the first turnaround cruise from Liverpool for 40 years.

This is a momentous occasion for the city, restoring Liverpool's status as a major point of departure and arrival and delivering a huge economic boost.

The s500,000 temporary facility will be used for three years and dismantled during winter.

Angie Redhead, cruise liner terminal manager, said: "We're now on to the nice to do list of enhancements.

"Today there will be the Liverpool Ukelele Orchestra, a choir and Bucks Fizz, the drink, not the group!

"For us, it's all about logistical operation. For our guests, it's the start of their summer holiday.

"So amid all the stress of getting here and checking in, we're trying to keep the romance of travel alive for cruise passengers.

"This is a small industry and once cruise liners see matters going well with Ocean Countess and then with Fred Olsen's Boudicca next year, they will come to Liverpool."

The new temporary cruise terminal can comfortably handle 1200-passenger ships or 1500 passengers at a push.

"This puts us into the medium-sized ship bracket with operators like Fred Olsen, Thompson Cruises and saga Cruises," said Ms Redhead.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012/05/29/liverpool-river-mersey-cruise-terminal-to-launch-first-turnaround-cruise-for-40-years-today-100252-31066530/#ixzz1wF9yYcEy

Well done, Liverpool, this is going to be great :)

First passengers arrive at Liverpool's turnaround cruise facility as Ocean Countess docks in city

May 29 2012Add a comment Recommend (6)

THE FIRST passengers arrived at the turnaround cruise liner facility when the Ocean Countess docked this morning.

Baggage handlers placed luggage inside the temporary building ready for the 800 passengers to collect at the end of their cruise from Honfleur, France, Guernsey and the Scilly Isles.

The first passengers started filtering through shortly before 9am.

Many seemed unaware that they were part of an historic moment as the first people to use the new facilities, but said they were impressed with what they saw.

Mike Riley, 56, from Bradford, said: "It'll be good to have a proper facility up north as it's a lot more convenient. It's also good for Liverpool as it will encourage more cruise ships to come here."

Lee Horton, frrom Heywood, near Manchester, said: "We're highly honoured to be the first people to use the new facility. We've been following it on the local news and we'll definitely be using it again."

Chris Mooney, from Huddersfield, said: "It seems very well organised and will be a real asset to Liverpool. Why on earth do you want to go to Southampton?"

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012/05/29/first-passengers-arrive-at-liverpool-s-turnaround-cruise-facility-as-ocean-countess-docks-in-city-100252-31067261/#ixzz1wG1LAF3X

Plans have already been passed for the New Terminal in liverpool which will replace the temporary one when built.

JB ... I see southampton were having a whinge about Liverpool last week.

JB ... I see southampton were having a whinge about Liverpool last week.

Hi Sid, long time no see.:)

Better make that "this week". ;)

ABP's gaffer has gone to Brussels to argue that the european half of the grant should be re-paid too.

I don't know whether the terms of that grant were conditional on no-turnarounds, or whether the grant without such a condition breaches european fair competition rules. Morally as well as geographically I'm on ABP's side, private investment shouldn't have to compete with grants.

But, you'll be pleased to hear, I don't know enough about that euro-money to get on my soap-box.:rolleyes:

Good luck anyway with the up-coming first turnarounds

One thought.

The way the Euro is heading, it won't be long before you can pay back the grant from your back pocket :D

Looking forward to seeing the Reds at St Mary's next season - and the way your lot are performing, we might even win.:p

Regards, JB :)

Liverpool River Mersey cruise terminal to launch first turnaround cruise for 40 years today

By Peter ElsonMay 29 2012

I sailed from Liverpool on the Edinburgh Castle in June 1998. Maybe it was a different dock, but it was definitely Liverpool.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/05/30/liverpool-s-glory-days-of-cruise-liner-travel-return-as-ocean-countess-sets-sail-video-100252-31072607/

Includes a video of the nice goodbye Liverpool afforded its first turnaround passengers.

Very proud day to be a Scouser and, as MP Steve Rotherham says, not a moment too soon. Like with the Beatles, and other attractions, we've been far too slow off the mark using our assets to best effect. But, better late than never.

Bon voyage - and see you all again soon :)

Well the Ocean Countess got off ok only to be hit by a 3 hour power Loss and ended up going to a Welsh port for checks.

JB. .... A busy time cruising and doing other stuff .... :) be interesting to see how things pan out re abp and their complaint. As for me paying any money back sorry but nothing to do with me lol.

Hopefully next season we will put a few of the pretenders in their place including Southampton .... :D though without investment and some decent signings in midfield and at Left back i think they may struggle.

Time for Fergie to go and play Golf methinks.

I sailed from Liverpool on the Edinburgh Castle in June 1998. Maybe it was a different dock, but it was definitely Liverpool.

Not sure which Edinburgh Castle you are referring to but the third Passenger/mail ship of this name was built in 1947 and scrapped in 1976

Not sure which Edinburgh Castle you are referring to but the third Passenger/mail ship of this name was built in 1947 and scrapped in 1976

there was a cruise ship called the edinburgh castle sailed out of greenock in the 1990s, may have been called by another name before.

it sailed out of different u.k. ports for 2 or 3 years ,then if i remember correctly company who owened her went bankrupt or ship failed to come up to standard

It ws run by Direct Cruises, who only lasted one year - they ran two ships, one of which (Edinburgh Castle) kept breaking down and having to be towed home - but not on my cruise :) - and the other had a late start because of an overrun refit and had bad reports of illness on board.

The Edinburgh Castle was previously Enrico Costa. Presumably the name was picked to save having to change the logo or decor.

It sailed from various ports, but my cruise to Greenland sailed from Liverpool and finished up in the Clyde somewhere - quite probably Greenock.

It ws run by Direct Cruises, who only lasted one year - they ran two ships, one of which (Edinburgh Castle) kept breaking down and having to be towed home - but not on my cruise :) - and the other had a late start because of an overrun refit and had bad reports of illness on board.

The Edinburgh Castle was previously Enrico Costa. Presumably the name was picked to save having to change the logo or decor.

It sailed from various ports, but my cruise to Greenland sailed from Liverpool and finished up in the Clyde somewhere - quite probably Greenock.

Thanks for the info

I think that Direct Cruises was started by someone who had access to the British Legion Membership List and people associated with the BL, at the time, made up a fair proportion of the passengers on board.

The prices were quite competitive and voyages were generally full

I think the 'Edinburgh Castle' may have eventually been arrested and laid up in Southampton before being sold on

I have a feeling that Sun Cruises (later Airtours) may have subsequently bought out the passenger lists etc

Bit more info on this. The 'Enrico Costa' was bought by a chap by the name of David Grimes who also ran a Ferry Service (Lowline Ferries) for a short while before that also went pop

He chartered the 'Edinburgh Castle' to Direct Cruises who also operated the 'Apollo' (ex 'Empress of Canada') for a series of cruises in 1997/8

As you say the 'Edinburgh Castle' had many problems including ther death of a Polish sailor whilst the ship was in Southampton and problems with life boat drills in New York

The ship was eventually sold on to Premier Cruises who operated it as 'Big Red Boat 2' for short cruises out of Florida

Southsea Bubble .... The info was on the local BBC news programme.

I am not a betting man but would be prepared to shell out strong money that the BBC got he story wrong (not for the first time)

There is indeed a proposal for a second cruise terminal within the Liverpool Waters Scheme

The whole scheme received outline planning permission from Liverpool City Council a month or two back and this is where, I think, the BBC have misinterpreted the facts

The scheme plans are now with the Govt for them to decide whether there is a requirement for a Public Enquiry.

Even if the Govt rule a public enquiry is not required, Peel Holdings, who have made the application, say on their web site that they expect the scheme to take up to 30 years to fund and implement, so a second Mersey terminal is at least 3 years away, probably more.

SB ... I had a look on the local BBC site to try to find the info but it seems to not have been updated for some time, the latest building is only temporary and planning had been put in for a permanent terminal building that is not to do with Peel Holdings.

SB ... I had a look on the local BBC site to try to find the info but it seems to not have been updated for some time, the latest building is only temporary and planning had been put in for a permanent terminal building that is not to do with Peel Holdings.

As you say planning permission for the Marquee at Princes Dock covers the period April - October, for three years.

Beyond that Mayor Andersen has suggested that he will be looking at the possibility of providing Dolphins adjacent to the current waterfront terminal to allow 2 ships to berth simultaneously.

Sounds expensive, especially when Liverpool Council get very little direct revenue from cruise ship calls!

Also someone will have to underwrite the, not insubstantia,l cost of a proper cruise terminal building to incorporate better access to the bigger cruise ships which now predominate in the market.

An overhead gangway is probably an additional pre- requisite and it will be (an expensive) challenge to obtain an overhead gangway which can deal with the very significant tidal range on the Mersey.

Archived