Wet suit? in St Thomas

BillOh

I hope you vets don't mind a few possibly silly questions while I go through my certification this summer since my cruise isn't till spring of 2013. I've snorkled twice in St Thomas in May and found the water to be comfortable. When I did a Discover scuba excursion there they offered a wet suit for an additional $10. At 40-75 ft is the water noticeably cooler than closer to the surface? I'm not hypersensitive temperature wise, but want to be comfortable.

There's not normally a noticeable temp drop at those depths but I'm speaking as a novice diver. I prefer the wetsuit because you lose heat fairly quickly in the water and I want to still be comfortable at the end of the dive. It also provides cushioning from the BCD and skin, protection from some of those sea-critters and a friendly bit of buyouncy. Congratulations on going for your certification and have a wonderful cruise!

• 2 months later...
Thanks for your thought. On my last excursion they just wanted an additional $10, I can handle that.

Bill, I think it's worth it. I always wear my polar fleece suit when I dive the Caribbean (it's a bit lighter than a wetsuit with a fleece lining). I like long bottom times and the fleece keeps me warm the entire time, plus helps to reduce chafing from the BC. I'm bringing mine with me on our Allure B2B next June.

Depends on how many dives, how close together among other factors.

Being cold increases air consumption even if you're not noticeably cold. However as a newbie you're probably sucking so much air as not to be a noticeable difference and cruise dives tend to take you up with a lot of pressure still in the tank.

Also doing many dives in a day with a lot of bottom time increases the amount of suit you'll want. 5 tanks in a day for a whole week is a lot different than 2 tanks in a day every few days.

I've never noticed much of a thermacline in the Caribbean. However water is cooler as you get deeper and the deeper you get the less insulation your suit will provide (the neoprene compresses).

I tend to dive in a 3/2 full suit pretty much all the time in the Caribbean (well except the Bahamas where it is cooler) I do it as much for the warmth as for protection from bumps and scrapes. Most commonly you see people in a 3mm shorty suit (undoubtedly what they will rent you) At least people who are regular divers. My wife likes to wear a skin suit for diving. Its basically a lycra unitard. It'll protect from minor scrapes and chaffing, doesn't affect bouancy, and has some minimal insulation value.

So you probably don't really need a suit, but I think they make the dive more comfortable.

I would suggest always wearing a suit for protection from cuts and stings. You never know what is going to come up underwater.

I like wearing a 3mm and would especially wear one in May. Other people are fine in a skin, which has no thermal insulation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would suggest always wearing a suit for protection from cuts and stings. You never know what is going to come up underwater.

I like wearing a 3mm and would especially wear one in May. Other people are fine in a skin, which has no thermal insulation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree, as an underwater photographer, I need that protection from rocks that I often brace against (not coral!). I wear a 1 mm suit, and just did that at St. Thomas this week on a three-tank dive.

I'd say it depends on your body mass. I am on the corpulent side, to be kind, so I don't feel the need for a wetsuit. I DO wear a capri pant as a diveskin, but it's more to protect me from coral scrapes than for warmth (and frankly, to shield others from the sight of my thunderthighs......you're welcome!).

If you are on the thin side, you might prefer a wetsuit, but a diveskin of some type might be enough.

Enjoy!

Bill,

If you did not get cold there snorkeling you should be fine. The cruise ship tours usually have short bottom times anyway.

Thanks, I selected Blue Island Divers and not a ship sponsored dive this time. BI only charges $5 for a suit, probably a shorty? I'll try that for the first dive wherever we end up.

Wow, 5 mm? That's way overkill for St. Thomas, even in December.

So we (family) are newbs and I may end up eating my words, but 5 mm in 82 degree pool was good for us (3 mm shorties and we were shivering) during cw sessions. All four of us are carting down 5mm suits (kids actually have 5/4) for holiday cruise. All 4 of us have BMIs around 20 though -- so 0 natural insulation.

I'm just teasing you. Everyone has different cold tolerances. I hate heavy wetsuits because of having to wear more weight with them and the way they restrict me more. So, I'll wear thinner suits as much as possible. I wear a 1 mm at all times in the Caribbean.

I'm going abalone diving in a few weeks in northern California and I'll have to wear a 7 mm farmer john with a hood. I am not looking forward to that! I'm taking my 5 mm along, just in case. ;)

Archived