Pay balance first? or Buy insurance first?

From my research it seems I can insure my cruise tickets and nonrefundable hotels as a lump sum. I already have air insurance through the purchase of that ticket.

In reading through things I can't seem to locate the answer to my question. It would make more sense to me to pay the balance of my cruise, and then insure. Does that sound right?

Thanks so much.

From my research it seems I can insure my cruise tickets and nonrefundable hotels as a lump sum. I already have air insurance through the purchase of that ticket.

In reading through things I can't seem to locate the answer to my question. It would make more sense to me to pay the balance of my cruise, and then insure. Does that sound right?

Thanks so much.

It won't really make much difference in most cases. If you buy the insurance a couple of days prior to making the final payment on the cruise and then change your mind at the last minute about going you'll be able to cancel the insurance purchase and get a refund of the premium for a period of 10 - 14 days following purchase.

The only thing you need to think about is if you need pre-existing medical condition coverage and you're purchasing one of the plans that give you that coverage if you purchase your policy no later than 24 hours after making the final payment on your cruise (CSA is one). So if you make the final cruise payment then wait 2 days to buy one of these plans you'd be out of luck on the pre-ex coverage.

so, if my balance is due Friday, and I paid it yesterday, I should buy my insurance before Friday?

Are you talking about using CSA and needing the pre-existing condition waiver? If so, you have 24 hours from the date you actually made the final payment on the cruise (not the scheduled final payment date) to buy your policy.

i have no need (i think) for the pre existing waiver. But have been crazy busy w/work so am thinking I missed my window of opportunity to buy the insurance since I paid my balance Tuesday?

And thanks CruiseCo, I am not good at the fine print

i have no need (i think) for the pre existing waiver. But have been crazy busy w/work so am thinking I missed my window of opportunity to buy the insurance since I paid my balance Tuesday?

And thanks CruiseCo, I am not good at the fine print

If you're not worried about pre-existing conditions you can buy your thire-party policy at any time up until the day prior to your departure. But if you're going to do it, once you're in the penalty period sooner is better than later.

Archived