Livorno to Cinqueterre

jshape

Hello to all. We are three couples that will have a port stop in Livorno in mid-September. All of us have been to Florence before and are wondering if anyone has ever done the Cinqueterre from the port of Livorno? We have a full 12 hours in port and were considering taking the train to Riomaggiore. Another option would be to arrange for a car and driver.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very welcomed.

This is a difficult one to accomplish by train because of how long it takes and the relative infrequency of trains (as opposed to Florence, Pisa or Lucca, for example).

You only have a couple of options in the morning, a 7:43 that arrives in Monterosso (the northernmost of the five villages) at 10:12 (after changes in Pisa and La Spezia), or a 9:17 that arrives at 10:54 (only one change in La Spezia).

For the return, unless you have an unusually late departure, there are also only a couple of options. There is a 2:53 departure from Riomaggiore (the southernmost town) that arrives at Livorno Centrale at 4:48, or a 3:40 that arrives at 5:14.

Therefore, by train you arrive around 11 AM and need to leave by 3:40, leaving only four and a half hours actually there.

I really think that this is one destination that, from Livorno anyway, really requires a car (whether you drive it yourself or hire a car service).

By car you could be there by 9:30 AM (assuming a 7 AM arrival at Livorno) and wouldn't need to leave until 3:30-4 PM (assuming a 7 PM departure, and leaving "pad" time for potential traffic issues around Pisa at rush hour).

I agree that hiring a car service is the way to go. They will get you there in about 1-1/2 hours and guide you to the ticket booth, explain everything, and tell you where to meet up and what time. I loved the Cinque Terre and would love to go back and spend a few days. It so happened that I was there last fall the day before the flood that damaged Vernazza so badly so have a special interest in encouraging people to visit this year and restore their economy. I had unbelievable fresh zuppa di pesce (fish/seafood soup) at a restaurant right in the main square in Vernazza that was more seafood than soup, outstanding! :) Oh, I forgot to mention that we also drank a good amount of wine that day.

Archived