Golf Opportunities

indigosails

I am a registered golf nut. Husband wants to go on a (HAL) loop cruise from San Diego to Hawaii/Tahiti in February. We live in the southern California desert and February is my "high season" for golf. I mentioned I'd like to take my golf clubs (we'll be driving, not flying, to San Diego). He thinks I'm crazy to bring golf clubs.

Question--is it reasonable to expect to have opportunities to play golf on Hawaii and French Polynesia? Will they have golf excursions? Would it be smarter to rent clubs?

Thank you.

It will cost you at least $75 each way to fly with golf clubs internationally. There are opportunities to play in Hawaii for sure. I guess you need to figure out how much golf you can squeeze in and what your own comfortable clubs are worth to you. We dive and always take our own gear. We just feel safer, more comfortable and will pay the luggage fee if we have one. Also storage in your cabin could be a space issue.

I always take my clubs on cruises and golf wherever possible. Top course will charge around $50-$75 for top of the line club rental so it makes good financial sense to take your own clubs if you are playing 4-5 rounds - especially as you are driving to the port so don't have to worry about airline fees. Plus you have the comfort factor - I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars per round playing the best courses on offer and have to worry about adjusting to an unfamiliar set of clubs each day :confused:

There are some good golf opportunities on your itinerary.

Papeete - Olivier Breaud International Golf Course

Moorea the Jack Nicklaus Green Pearl Course in Temae

Hilo - Mauna Kea Golf Course is the closest championship course - it is about 75 mins from Hilo from memory. There are some others closer to Hilo but they are nothing special. We played here several years back and prebooked a minibus to take us to/from the course.

Maui - The Bay Course at Kapalua is the best course close to Lahaina

Honolulu - Plenty to choose from!

I have always been able to store my clubs under the bed without any problems.

I'm doing a Hawaii-Tahiti-Australia cruise next year and will play at all the courses mentioned (except Hilo - not going there on this cruise) plus a few in Honolulu.

Take your clubs and enjoy some great golf :D

Archived