French Windows

cruising 2008

Hi - a french balcony is a sliding door with bars across to prevent you from stepping (? falling?) out...

True balconies have been somewhat limited in river cruising - although more of the new boats are incorporating them into the design of the vessel.

Just remember, river boats are designed to travel through locks in most of Europe - which means the dimensions are strictly controlled. If you have a balcony (not a french one...) then you run the risk that the square footage for the balcony is carved out of the square footage for the room.

Lots of chatter in previous threads re: balcony vs window. Very much a personal issue.

We booked french balcony on one cruise. While we did enjoy it, we did not feel (for us) that the extra expense was worth it. Many others feel differently. We save the upgrade money... for souvenirs, or to put towards another trip!!!

Fran

I'm with Fran. We had a french balcony last year on our first river cruise and while it was nice to be able to open the window for air and view, we were not in the room long enough each day to warrant the extra expense. We much prefer to sit on the outside deck, when open, or in the panorama lounge so you can see what's happening on both sides of the river. It truly is a personal choice, do you want some quiet space for just the two of you, then a balcony would be nice, or do you like being with other people in which case you will spend more time in the lounge or on deck. The other advantage to the upper deck is you can just use the walking track and get your daily exercise while watching the world go by.

I have another take.......never had french balcony but did travel with a balcony on viking in China. We booked Grand european for the July sailing with a balcony. We took full advantage of it. We would drink early morning coffe or late evening drink out on it.

Matter of taste and yes we did spend time in our cabin as well as on the balcony. After a day of tours it was nice to sit and rest in our room and or out on the balcony!:D

Mrs Banjo & I book the French Balcony because we like the ability to open the window for some fresh air. The cabins with the little windows just don't make it for us. I agree with Franski that if you get a true balcony, it is going to be really tight and has been carved out of your available cabin space. For us it is worth the extra $$, but I certainly do understand others opinions. As Mrs Banjo & I move into retirement, we might just take the lower cost cabins to save money as well.

We loved having the French balcony but made the mistake of sleeping with the window open. We loved the fresh air but awoke in the morning with a room full of bugs. The staff was quite experienced in clearing them out.

Archived